Author Topic: 20040822 build - *includes pilot changes*  (Read 16074 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
20040822 build - *includes pilot changes*
Since this build includes the new pilot code I'll give the same old warning:

WARNING: This build could permanently mess up your pilots! Save them before using this build! If you lose anything it's your fault for not having a backup!

http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/willrobinson/20040822-win32.zip
http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/willrobinson/mv_ibx.zip (not required)

Basic change list:

- OpenGL will now always use a linear filter when magnifying a texture.  This should fix the pixelation with nebula poofs and on shockwaves and explosions.  There is a performance loss here but it should be negligible.

- DDS textures that don't have any mipmap levels will be shown properly in OpenGL.  There was a bug that prevented this working correctly with Lightspeed's new Shine releases.

- Minor change to the campaign savefile so that a ship/weapon table listing lookup is forced for a given index on load.  The code should make this unneeded but it's changed in case.  There are no format changes here so don't worry about existing pilots.

- Don't use DevIL to validate a TGA file (read the header).  DevIL must read the whole file into memory and we only need to first few bytes.  An assert was removed so that 32-bit TGA's don't cause problems when not using -jpgtga, it will just silently ignore those files now.

- Preload of TGA planets is working correctly again in OpenGL.  The page in code was a little off still and could give asserts in debug builds and introduced a possible memory leak.  Preloaded graphics should now be properly sent to the card memory on misison load without the locking problems.

- Fix situation where OpenGL would assume the same texture format for base/glow/spec textures.  This became a problem when Lightspeed's new graphics mix TCACHE formats and would have a compressed base map but normal glow maps.  The code will now lookup what the true format of each texture is to avoid errors and/or crashes.

- Add extra save points to the pilot code.  There was a situation where, when playing a campaign, any new ships would get added to the tech room but not be there when you next ran the game.  There is a save point in the barracks that allowed this problem to get past the testing phase but new save points were added to the ready room, barracks and on exit that should prevent any future data problems.  This may not be fixed 100% so I ask that testers look for this during play.

- Fix issue in D3D where movies would crash.  I'm not a DirectX person so this may get changed a little but tests don't show any crashes.  A NULL check was added and d3d_lost_device() will now make sure that the device can and should be reset before doing so.  movie.cpp was changed slightly to correctly make use of this change.

- Reset time compression to 1x at the start of every mission.  This was to fix a problem where, upon mission restart, the time compression was set to the last used level.

- Possible fix for support ship problem.  Probably not but look for it in case.

- Fix issue where invalid shield anis would try to get loaded and rendered.

- Current CVS, should include all of Kazan's autopilot code and his joystick fixes.

- IBX test code.  I'm not going to say what this is, I want to see if anyone notices.  The listed VP provides support for this but isn't required.  IBX files will be generated and used as the game sees fit, the VP only provides these files already.  IBX files will be stored in data/cache or /data/cache if you use a mod.  This is test code and may not make CVS.

Please report any problems, complaints or praise. :)

Online Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Would the IBX thing have something to do with Bob's new hot-converting model format and the attempt to have these stored in a directory under the new format, so they don't have to be re-converted for each mission?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Got it in 1.

I don't think anyone's really tested it though.
-C

Online Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Cool!  What do I win?  Don't I get a congradulatory handshake... a cookie... a custom avatar ;7 ... anything? :lol:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
Cool!  What do I win?  Don't I get a congradulatory handshake... a cookie... a custom avatar ;7 ... anything? :lol:

Ummm, faster load times? :lol:

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
You can have the forum cookie, how's that? ;)
-C

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Is the support ship fixed in this release?  I had been using an old one because newer ones wouldn't rearm properly.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Liberator
Is the support ship fixed in this release?  I had been using an old one because newer ones wouldn't rearm properly.

I'm going to say no but a possible cause was fixed.  I haven't been able to reproduce it but in testing this build the support ship rearmed me every time in the missions I tried (The Romans Blunder, A Lion at the Door, Slaying Ravana, A Monster in the Mist).  All I can say is try it and find out for sure.  Then let us know.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Sheesh, taylor, you've done more work post-3.6 than I think anyone's done since the beginning of the year.  Well done. :)

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Okay, here's my report from playing the first 3 mission from the fourth Sol: A History Campaign:

There is some slowdown associated with ANIs, but this is probably my system

D3D works again, but the ships are still transparent sometimes, but it's totally random which ships and when.

Didn't try OGL, but will assume that since DX is working again OGL should be okay.

Support Ship rearms perfectly, but I'm missing a pilot somehow.  It was made with YAB2 from lower in the list, but it doesn't show up in this builds list.

As an OT comment, Inferno needs to get come glowmaps and shine maps out for their stuff, the Tereus and Eclipse are even more beautiful with the maps I scabbed together so I can immagine how they'd look with someone using LS's method for Shine map generation.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Got it in 1.

I don't think anyone's really tested it though.

You don't know I have tested this in lenghty hours with a sUb3r secret test build :D

It was me who stumbled over that techroom bug, actually ;)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Excellent. Time to go away and test this :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

*makes note to test this after classes*
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
w00tage
time to test!
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
This build does not work to me. The game loading screen crashes my computer. It's not the so-called CTD, it's the COSR: Crash! Only Solution: Reset. :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 09:06:32 am by 1079 »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by TopAce
This build does not work to me. The game loading screen crashes my computer. It's not the so-called CTD.

If you are using the mv_ibx.vp try removing it.  Also look in data/cache and remove any .ibx files.  If that doesn't work let me know.  The IBX code doesn't have a way to verify an .ibx file is complete so if it's only partially generated then you're screwed.  If you delete them then it will have to make each file again.  This would prevent read errors on the first load at least.  If that works but crashes on the second load please report it.

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
ok. I tried this build and may have some problems. I keep getting totally random CTDs here and there. I observed it with the previous one but thought it might have been system errors. But since I reinstalled Win2k recently, it cant be that.

The CTDs have occured in two confirmed spots so far: When loading the inferno mission after de-beaming the Diablo, it loads find, but after hitting commit after the briefing or selecting weapons, it doesn't go to the mission AT ALL. It straightaways CTDs. It does not load anything, it does not display anything, CTD almost immediately after trying to get in-mission.

This may be limited to inferno, but their is one mroe time I get it, in the vanilla campaign.
Im currently on the mission where we encounter Kappa 3 and test out the Tag A missile. Now, after finishing the mission and jumping out, it CTDs even before starting to load the debrief screen. It doesn't bother trying to load. It jumps out smoothly, turns to black for a second, and the next thing I see is the desktop.

It cant be the pilot file, since I created a new one experessively for the use with your new changes Taylor, so I have no clue what it might be.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I don't have any IBX files. Should I have some?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Singh
The CTDs have occured in two confirmed spots so far: When loading the inferno mission after de-beaming the Diablo, it loads find, but after hitting commit after the briefing or selecting weapons, it doesn't go to the mission AT ALL. It straightaways CTDs. It does not load anything, it does not display anything, CTD almost immediately after trying to get in-mission.

If you are using OpenGL try using the -novbo command line option.  By your description that's what it sounds like.  I'll grab Inferno and test it later today just to see if I get any problems.  I planned to do extra testing with FSPort anyway.

Originally posted by TopAce
I don't have any IBX files. Should I have some?

If you have the mv_ibx.vp then probably not.  If you don't then it should make them but if you use -mod then they will go in the mod directory (mod/data/cache).

Originally posted by Liberator
Support Ship rearms perfectly, but I'm missing a pilot somehow. It was made with YAB2 from lower in the list, but it doesn't show up in this builds list.

All pilots have to be under data/players of the main game directory now.  It won't find pilot files in a mod directory.  You'll have to copy them so that they'll show up.  That's the only thing I can think of it being anyway.

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
I dont use OGL; D3D only.