Author Topic: 20050622 - BugFix build (probably last before 3.6.7)  (Read 19537 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
20050622 - BugFix build (probably last before 3.6.7)
There hasn't been any changes to the version detection code since then.  The init code has changed a little though so I guess it's failing to init with hardware and using software as a fallback.  The change to the init code was supposed to help get rid of the green backgrounds with popups and what not.  I think you suffered from that problem.

I'll PM you a link to a build without the init changes and we'll see if that's the problem.  Just be sure to test the green screen problem too while you're at it.  I hate ATI.  The new code works perfectly with NVIDIA.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Crashes in multiplayer mode, almost every time, as soon as it receives a server list. :(

No error, just straight CTD. I'll do a debug build later, and see what it says.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Raa
Crashes in multiplayer mode, almost every time, as soon as it receives a server list. :(

Crap.  This is probably my fault.  I'd be interested in what a debug build says but I'll try it out tonight as well and see what I find.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Running this and the build immediately preceding this one, ATI Cat Omega 5.4 in OGL under WinXP w/SP2, running TBP.  On the green background problem, I can't even make it that far.  On previous builds, any attempt to enter any "room" from the mainhall, results in the game minimizing itself.  If I'm in the techroom, it also happens when I click on a capital ship (the model, not the entry on the side).  With these new builds, 1, they don't show the spash screen, 2, when restoring from the previously-mentioned minimizing, the screen is all jumbled.  I tried to take a screenshot, but it just took it of my desktop background rather than the game.  It was as if someone had chopped the screen laterally and then separated each by a same-side slice of static, offset each screen slice somewhat to the left, then had them jumping back and forth between screen and static.  Each attempt to alt-tab and restore only makes the image worse.  Because things are so jumbled, its impossible to tell where the cursor is.  Once, I openned the game, then selected "exit", which minimized the game.  When I maximized it back, the jumbled thing was still there, but I could see greenage in the background, leading back to the original green background thing.

Sorry Taylor.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I tried flying multi with this build and everything worked great - except that the 6-7% subsys bug was still there. :(

The weird thing is that I flew with Raa and MatthewPapa, who used this build too, and neither of them had that problem at first.  But then when we changed wingman positions it came back...

Take 1:
Alpha 1: MP
Alpha 2: G5K (subsys bug)
Alpha 3: AI

Beta 1: Raa
Beta 2: AI
Beta 3: AI

Take 2:
Alpha 1: Raa
Alpha 2: MP (subsys bug)
Alpha 3: G5K (subsys bug)

Beta 1: AI
Beta 2: AI
Beta 3: AI

Take 3:
We used the 20050103 build and nobody got the subsys bug. ;)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Yeah the subsystem fix isn't in this particular build since I didn't find it until later.  The bug is just plain stupid.  I fixed some type/size issues (for multi-platform compatibility), one of which was here, and though the proper values were computed they weren't actually assigned.  It was using other data which tended to stay the same which is why it wouldn't ever repair either, it kept getting reset to this other data value.  It would/should also only affect the client side though so whoever is acting as server shouldn't have a problem and I don't think AI should either.

I'm preparing an updated build now with what will hopefully be fixes for Trivial Psychic and SuperCoolAl.  Plus a couple extra sanity checks for the server list to hopefully prevent the crashing that Raa had.  And the subsystem fix of course.

Look for that to be available in a couple of hours (needs a little more testing on my side).

EDIT: Ok, try this: http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/willrobinson/20050624-win32.rar and let me know if anything is better or worse.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 10:10:20 am by 1252 »

I can't run the app. I've tried removing the mediavps and stuff but got errors. I'm not sure if I require the devIL's dlls again or not.

BTW, what are the map files for?

Here's what's in the error log:

fs2_open_T-20050624 caused Unknown exception type in module ntdll.dll at 001b:7c94eb28.
Exception handler called in Freespace 2 Main Thread.
Error occurred at 6/25/2005 21:32:22.
C:\Games\FS2Open365\fs2_open_T-20050624.exe, run by Dario.
1 processor(s), type 586.
1024 MBytes physical memory.

Registers:
EAX=0012e05c CS=001b EIP=7c94eb28 EFLGS=00000246
EBX=0012ff24 SS=0023 ESP=0012e000 EBP=0012e388
ECX=0012e0b4 DS=0023 ESI=0012e00c FS=003b
EDX=0000007b ES=0023 EDI=00000001 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
e9 ca 8f fe ff 48 48 74 2e 83 a5 e4 fc ff ff 00

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Error: Current GL Version of 1.1 is less than the required version of 1.2
Switch video modes or update your drivers.
File:D:\src\fs2_open.testing\code\graphics\gropengl.cpp
Line: 3928
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------

E:\Inferno\fs2_open_T-20050622.exe -spec -glow -jpgtga -nomotiondebris -pcx2dds -snd_preload -env  -ambient_factor 75

It works in D3D. All previous builds worked fine for me...

Edit: haven't tried the latest build two posts up. Will give it a go now :)
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by taylor
Yeah the subsystem fix isn't in this particular build since I didn't find it until later.  The bug is just plain stupid.  I fixed some type/size issues (for multi-platform compatibility), one of which was here, and though the proper values were computed they weren't actually assigned.  It was using other data which tended to stay the same which is why it wouldn't ever repair either, it kept getting reset to this other data value.  It would/should also only affect the client side though so whoever is acting as server shouldn't have a problem and I don't think AI should either.

I'm preparing an updated build now with what will hopefully be fixes for Trivial Psychic and SuperCoolAl.  Plus a couple extra sanity checks for the server list to hopefully prevent the crashing that Raa had.  And the subsystem fix of course.

Look for that to be available in a couple of hours (needs a little more testing on my side).

EDIT: Ok, try this: http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/willrobinson/20050624-win32.rar and let me know if anything is better or worse.

Ok, I tried running the build. It doesnt give me an error upon laucnh, and I can get to the pilot loading screen fine. However, it CTDs immediately thereafter, without any error message.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline redmenace

I got a CTD while using pofspew to regenerate a new set of IBX files.

Assert: be->handle == handle
File: c:\src\fs2_open.testing\code\bmpman\bmpman.cpp
Line: 2445
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
    model_page_out_textures()    model_unload()    model_free_all()    doexit()    exit()    Warning()    model_load_texture()    read_model_file()    model_load()    game_spew_pof_info()    WinMainSub()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816d4f()

Assert: f < MAX_MEM_POINTERS
File: c:\src\fs2_open.testing\code\globalincs\windebug.cpp
Line: 1497

Call stack:
    _vm_free()    close_help()    doexit()    exit()    WinAssert()    bm_release()    model_page_out_textures()    model_unload()    model_free_all()    doexit()    exit()    Warning()    model_load_texture()    read_model_file()    model_load()------------------------------------------------------------------

The graphics option was set to Open GL.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
@Singh:  Was that with the release or the debug build?  No errorlog.txt was produced?

@High Max:  That is a content problem and not something that we can, or will, fix.  Assuming that you are using Chapter 4 I gave it a try just to see.

Main errors:
 - There are secondary weapons in the primary weapons section of weapons.tbl
 - Too many AI classes unless you are using an Inferno build (max is 10, has 11)
 - Ships require primary weapons, 7 of which are missing from weapons.tbl

I gave up looking after that.  You'll have to report these problems to the mod author to get them sorted out.  You might want to suggest that it get tested with a debug build in order to better find these errors as even retail would have had major issues with these problems.

@redmenace:  What build did you run with?  The log that you sent wasn't formatted properly for a current build in OGL mode.  The output format changed in the 20050613 build to be more readable so it's pretty easy to see that it's not recent.  Hmm, in fact it's not a log from a pofspew run either since it's got a full mission load in it.  I guess you attached the wrong file?

Sorry about the MEM_POINTERS thing.  After you had problems with it before I bumped the limit and then just disabled it all together.  I guess it helps Bobboau to have it there but since what it finds is pretty much the same thing as the Linux build would have it's easier and more efficient for me to just run Valgrind and get much more detailed information than to have Bobboau's memleak checker in there.

Offline redmenace

Actually it is your 6/24 build. And it is a POF spew. I deleted all of the ibx and created new ones, then recieved a crash after an error message concerning vecmth3d or something like that.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 03:06:37 am by 887 »
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline redmenace

Actually concentrate on the other bugs for the time being. I cannot seem to reproduce this error. I will have to play a series of missions to see if we are having the same issues with the BMPMAN again. Also, has WMC fixed the camera problem yet in the final mission from retail?
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by redmenace
Actually it is your 6/24 build. And it is a POF spew. I deleted all of the ibx and created new ones, then recieved a crash prior to another one concerning vecmth3d or something like that.

Hehehe, you're right.  I had another one of your files named fs.zip so firefox named the new one fs-1.zip and I didn't think to check before looking just at the old fs.zip. :)

I can't recreate this one either after trying various different things.  I you get it again let me know.  If by the camera problem you mean the fact that it skips the supernova then no it's not fixed.  If WMC doesn't fix it then I'll add it to my list to fix this week.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Probably a screwy if statement situation in the render_frame_setup function.

My "plans" for tomorrow are trying to get my computer working from a SATA drive (Hmm, for some reason I'm getting a sense of deja vu while typing this post). That probably means repeated attempts to install an OS for awhile, once I decide whether I want to go the masochistic path and switch to Linux, cave and buy XP, or try and hack in SATA drivers on my Win2k install disk. ;)

Oh, and buy/fix the SATA cable.

In other words, be my guest. :)
-C

Offline starfox

It appears that the bug, where your laser bolts turn into white/red squares when facing the sun, is still there.

I think there were some threads about it somewhere, but I'm suprised its still there, thought  it was squashed some time ago.

If this has already been reported, then my apologies
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Originally posted by starfox
It appears that the bug, where your laser bolts turn into white/red squares when facing the sun, is still there.

I think there were some threads about it somewhere, but I'm suprised its still there, thought  it was squashed some time ago.

If this has already been reported, then my apologies

Yep, was about to post this (was playing not on debug unfortunately) but you beat me to it.

It also happens not only from laser bolts but sometimes from subspace jumps or ship explosions (usually corrects itself in 2 seconds but in that time a huge white box kills immersion)
how do i shot gun???

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
vwep wont seem to work on ships without a secondary bank for some reason. it got a direct ctd without an error message im most cases and an ocasional message like i reported before it got fixed. i managed to work around this. i simply gave the helbat the ability to carry a high yeld remote detonated mine. its fun to place those in front of an enemy fighter bay :D in this case the bug contributed to my mod :D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 06:57:08 pm by 766 »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline redmenace

Alright, I finally got a chance to work with your 6-24 build but I am seeing missing poly on Babylon 5. Everything else looks good. The GOD Sat is fixed though.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by redmenace
Alright, I finally got a chance to work with your 6-24 build but I am seeing missing poly on Babylon 5. Everything else looks good. The GOD Sat is fixed though.

And this with a new B5 IBX right?  I'll have to grab the model and take a look but it may be a day or two from now before I get the chance.  If you notice any others let me know.