Author Topic: Updated Omega  (Read 22425 times)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
So *cough*... during play-testing the HTL Zephyr against an Omega, I couldn't stand looking at those 5-sided engines and gun barrels any more. I decided I would just import the original model in 3dsmax and redo the engines and turrets and call it a day. But there were also some nasty UV errors on the head portion, smoothing glitches everywhere and some areas which desperately needed a bit modeling love. And since it was a rainy weekend, I just kept adding stuff here and there... and well, a few thousand polys later, we're here:

Note: This isn't a "real" HTL model... it's the old model touched up a bit while cannibalizing the old maps for a quick&dirty texturing job. But nevertheless, I'm quite happy how it turned out and it is even a tad more efficient, since it only uses 2 maps now (instead of 4 before). Also, the map of the head (with the nameplate) is made from scratch with increased resolution, so it looks quite sharper ingame than the old one.

Next steps:
- Finalize the diffuse map (the rotating section needs some touching-up)
- Normal maps for all the greeblies not modelled in (that's gonna be fun)
- Make "destroyed" versions of all subsystems/turrets
- Proper LODs
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Having just gotten through the first 4 seasons of B5 over the last couple of months, I'm absolutely loving this! Good stuff.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
This looks great, far better than the old one.
Are you going to do a Nova in the future?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
How about Omega-X?  ;7
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Slasher

Holy moly that looks awesome.  Not that tomcat's old model was bad, but it served its purpose in a day when dual core processors had yet to hit the market.  This is one of the show's most iconic ships so it's great that we have a model that can does it justice!  One question: is there going to be a blank template texture for the bow section of the ship so new nameplates can be used?

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Quote from: Dragon
Are you going to do a Nova in the future?

Eventually yes, unless den5 beats me to it. There's a high-poly LOD0 of the Nova on the FTP, but I don't know if he's still working on it.

Quote from: Trivial Psychic
How about Omega-X?  ;7

That's a rather trivial change, once the basic version is done... I'll just have to add the shadow map to everything and sprinkle in some spiky bits ;)

One question: is there going to be a blank template texture for the bow section of the ship so new nameplates can be used?

Yes, the map for the bow section is still called eaomega01a, so once I remake the different nameplate versions, it should work with existing missions
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Nice work ...

any more progress?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Yup, but not ready to show off yet... and RL is very busy at the moment.

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
  • Don't get mad, consequences are revenging you.
Are these improvements already in the TBP? or we have to download them separately.

Offline 0rph3u5

The improved model file isn't even released yet ...

... and even if they were, they would be a seperate download just like the improvements over there
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
  • Don't get mad, consequences are revenging you.
I see, thx, 1 more thing: the original model would be available for download too? I'd like to experiment with it, I'm not a pro 3D modeller but I'd like to try it Moray (Modeller for POV-Ray). What was the original model file format? I can import .3ds files, no problem but I was curious.

By the way, great work!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 06:45:35 pm by technopredator »

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
On patrol near Jupiter

Weapons testing above Mars

Showing the raiders who's boss

Offline emi_100

• www.artstation.com/emimartinez
Impresive!
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

-------FAITH MANAGES------
  • Normal Maps for -The Babylon Project-
  • "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!
  • "One Mistake" (Third Space Campaign)
  • "Each Night I Dream of Home" (Crusade Single Mision)

Offline Slasher

That truly looks epic.  And the turret barrels actually look round.  It even looks like you got the firing points lined up with the gun points, something the old model has been without for...nine years.

ps. not to detract from the awesome Omega, but are those backgrounds included in TBP?  :confused:

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Some close-up turret action for Slasher ;) Maybe I need to move the firing point a bit further out, so it intersects less with the barrel.

The backgrounds are actually skyboxes, and yes they are in TBP: jupiter_skybox1.pof, mars_skybox.pof

Offline emi_100

• www.artstation.com/emimartinez
wow! that picture will look great with the new Slasher's normal map for the omega texture.
the model could be just percfect combined with those normals, excelent work Col. Fishguts! Still WIP? do you use the original texture map?

Edit: one thing, is not about the model, just a quick fix texture issue. The fighter bay here is red, and in almost all the render image I have. But in the show is more like orange.
And the nova have not color on it. Just a detail.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:56:03 pm by emi_100 »
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

-------FAITH MANAGES------
  • Normal Maps for -The Babylon Project-
  • "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!
  • "One Mistake" (Third Space Campaign)
  • "Each Night I Dream of Home" (Crusade Single Mision)

Offline 0rph3u5

"Wanna have"-inspiring

==================

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Those X-ray laser effects really need updating.

Perhaps a variation of this?
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Slasher

Those X-ray laser effects really need updating.

YESSSSSS.  That's been on the agenda, but I've been meaning to round out some of the other species' weapons first. 

I definitely do think the EA laser effect we've got could look more like it does in the show though. 

wow! that picture will look great with the new Slasher's normal map for the omega texture.

Thanks!  It should be noted Col. Fishguts knows way more about texturing than I do.  He is one of TBP's original ship makers and his textures are superior to anything I can do.  :)

Those turrets look awesome by the way.  It's weird seeing things rendered in geometry that were formerly just painted on to the model.