I don't like it!
0 (0%)
Sort of
0 (0%)
I like it!
11 (28.2%)
I LOVE IT!!!
11 (28.2%)
Home World 2 is better then Home World 1!
2 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: March 04, 2013, 07:41:11 pm

Author Topic: Homeworld 2  (Read 13488 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
HW1 collectors < HW2 collectors.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Insults? Rudeness? I understand going "okay this thing is stupid" will offend people, but I'm not being rude here. I swear semi-frequently off the computer. Perhaps how I speak isn't being translated here.

And yes, I do believe you are stupid if you think that Homeworld 2's balance was anything but horrid. You are free to try and change my mind via showing me points and evidence and such and such. Just in case it appears that I'm backpedaling or something like that.

Also, a post should be judged by it's content. A asshole being an asshole is fine so long as he gives a valid point/evidence/thingies, and it is also true that sometimes it is unwarranted. However, going "fuk u 2 rude" is an equally contentless response as the aforementioned asshole going and calling everyone names/deliberate racism/etc, etc.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova

Also, piss off, Dekker.  :P Homeworld collectors were cooler. I like my space truck that sucks up asteroids with a giant vacuum cleaner better, thank you.

At least their SFX didn't get stuck and loop constantly until a loud sound played over the top of it.

Offline Luis Dias

Insults? Rudeness? I understand going "okay this thing is stupid" will offend people, but I'm not being rude here. I swear semi-frequently off the computer. Perhaps how I speak isn't being translated here.

I won't drag this long, ain't my job. However, you overtly insulted people for thinking differently than you. You weren't saying "This is stupid" you were saying "You are ****ing stupid".

Also, a post should be judged by it's content. A asshole being an asshole is fine so long as he gives a valid point/evidence/thingies, and it is also true that sometimes it is unwarranted. However, going "fuk u 2 rude" is an equally contentless response as the aforementioned asshole going and calling everyone names/deliberate racism/etc, etc.

I couldn't disagree more and please quote me saying "fuk u". I did not. I said you had good points, but ultimately what came across was more "I AM FKIN RIGHT AND U'ALL DAT DISAGREE R ****ING RETARDS". What do you expect in response to that drivel? A statue on how awesome your ideas are?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress

Also, piss off, Dekker.  :P Homeworld collectors were cooler. I like my space truck that sucks up asteroids with a giant vacuum cleaner better, thank you.

At least their SFX didn't get stuck and loop constantly until a loud sound played over the top of it.

Better than these giants?

EDIT- Click for image :yes:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Well, I'm not sure how to communicate what I meant to you, then. I most certainly wasn't going "LOL I AM RIGHT FOREVER SWAG YOLO *()u034u2905u40925uj40!1111" or whatever. That wasn't what I was thinking.

Also, I'm not saying that you said "fuk U" anywhere. I'm pointing out the fact that some people get too insulted to bother reading a person's points at all, and that when people do this it's just as bad as a person with no points going off and spewing **** everywhere.

I really don't know why you're getting this, given that what I said was based on a particular thing. It's annoyingly easy to take someone else's words into a completely different context, and while I won't accuse you of using strawman fallacy just yet, I'm convinced you're deliberately interpreting my words to mean that I actually believe that other people are entirely wrong forever because of one thought.  :confused:

"And yes, I do believe you are stupid if you think that Homeworld 2's balance was anything but horrid. You are free to try and change my mind via showing me points and evidence and such and such. Just in case it appears that I'm backpedaling or something like that."

So yes, while I agree my words above can be interpreted as being outrageous douchebaggery, I wasn't trying to say "people are wrong forever because reasons", I was saying that the thought that HW2's balance was good is a stupid one. The "I do believe you are stupid" thingy however I will admit does not express what I was saying properly. I should have instead put, "If you think that HW2's balance was good, I think you should take a step back and ponder how stupid/think more about what you just said/is." so it wouldn't come out as "You are a very unintelligent person." Now, again, I am not saying that you are completely stupid and cannot give a valid point. I am saying that this thought in particular is stupid in my opinion.

I'm starting to think that you're getting all strawmanny on me, given your reaction, which quite frankly pisses me off. You probably won't, but if you are using strawman fallacy here, I'm going to have to ask you stop.  :nono:

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova

Better than these giants?

EDIT- Click for image :yes:

I suppose that depends. If the HW2 collectors are gigantic, it's a tie. If they're tiny like they are ingame, no.  :lol:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
See the man in shot for scale :)

And i don't hate you ;) /me hugs BS.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Luis Dias

Nevermind BShivans. If you can't see the douchebaggery in your previous post, what can I do. There's a whole difference between "this is stupid" and "you are stupid" that you seem completely oblivious to. Also, there is no strawman involved, since I also stated that I have no beef with what you said. I neither disagree or agree with it, since I haven't that kind of gameplay detail in my memory banks to make a judgement. (IOW, I somewhat trust your judgement on it)

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
I'm not saying there's no douchebaggery though. I'm saying I don't understand the way you reacted to it. Also, why did you respond, then? The rudeness thing I understand somewhat, but my point was aimed at people who think that thought that Homeworld 2's balance was good, when the gameplay and performance of units in game demonstrated otherwise.

Also, I know, Dekker.   :) Just a fun jab.

Offline Luis Dias

Because I thought your ideas were buried beneath a barrage of insults and rudeness. I stated as such point blank.

Can't say I cared much for the second one.  It lost a lot of depth in the name of streamlining things.  HW1 gave you more control over your fleet and that opened up the way for a fair number of advanced tactics - things like kamisalving, bouncing battle balls and the like.  HW2 just didn't have that depth.

Interesting that people get annoyed about HW2's scaling of enemy resources to your fleet, but nobody seems to notice HW1 did that to.  It was to a lesser extent, which is probably why it doesn't get noticed, but it absolutely happened.

The only major problems with the balance in HW2 are: I wish torpedo/heavy missile and ion frigates could do more against capital and super capital ships, and I wish that destroyers could actually survive against and hurt battlecruisers. Also, I miss being able to kamikaze resource collectors, and easily capture ships beyond my build limit.

All in all, aside from the frigates turning to shrapnel against capital ships, I rather enjoyed the gameplay in HW2. It seemed gerenally logical and rational.

And since you were almost guaranteed to always have the largest fleet available to you, it forced you to specialize them and use what you have more effectively.

I'm currently playing through again (V 1.0 only), and am at Thaddis Sabbah. I've only lost the mission once so far, and that time I just grouped everything up and charged the station, so it wasn't a surprise that I lost.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The only major problems with the balance in HW2 are: I wish torpedo/heavy missile and ion frigates could do more against capital and super capital ships, and I wish that destroyers could actually survive against and hurt battlecruisers. Also, I miss being able to kamikaze resource collectors, and easily capture ships beyond my build limit.

All in all, aside from the frigates turning to shrapnel against capital ships, I rather enjoyed the gameplay in HW2. It seemed gerenally logical and rational.

And since you were almost guaranteed to always have the largest fleet available to you, it forced you to specialize them and use what you have more effectively.

I'm currently playing through again (V 1.0 only), and am at Thaddis Sabbah. I've only lost the mission once so far, and that time I just grouped everything up and charged the station, so it wasn't a surprise that I lost.
Problem with HW2 was that spamming destroyers and BCs were generally the way to go, frigates were useless, and corvettes were situational. Bombers are generally useless when you have BCs and destroyers and can micro them effectively, though fighters are decent.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Played both, preferred Homeworld to HW2.  HomeWorld 2 was hard, although I completed both games' singleplayer.  Where I found HW was better was in that you cobbled together your fleet with no artificial caps... so I captured EVERYTHING.  The loss of that ability in 2 annoyed me greatly.  Also, I always used the harvest completion time to rebuild/repair/rejig my fleet.  The loss of that precious time in HW2 was also annoying.  It really needed a feature that allowed for insta-harvest, but still let the player decide when to jump out.

Also, the scaling enemy fleet was punishingly painful.  Basically, I ended up holding off on the final objective in each mission until my fleet was back to full strength and rebalanced.

Oh, and the original game had a much more coherent story in general.

Basically... while the sequel was entertaining, the first game was a much better experience overall.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I ****ing love HW2's plot. It's incredible. Check this, I'm gonna do it from memory, no hands:

The Vaygr are after the cores! We gotta find the core!

We need to

go to the dig site so we can find the Oracle

which will lead us to the Progenitor Bridge Wreckage

which will lead us to the Dreadnaught

TAKE FIVE GUYS, COLLECT A CORE

which lead us to Balcora Gate

which will lead us to Sajuuk

which will lead us to the Eye of Aaran

whew!

Having just finished Thaddis Sabbah and Balcora Gate on 1.0, I have some news:

Dang, that was really hard.
Bombers aren't as good against BCs as I remember, though they do very well at taking out their missile launchers. They're also still really good against Destroyers and non-Assault Frigates.
Gunships are still wicked effective against strikecraft, and should always be present to protect your bombers and capitals.
Frigates are still paper targets against Destroyers and BCs, though massed Ion or Torpedo Frigates can actually do significant damage to BCs. For best effect keep them behind a damage sponge like your own BCs. And Flak Frigates still own fighters.
Platforms are dumb.

Offline Gray113

• There comes a time when the odds are against you,
Sarcasm really should be taught in schools :nono:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress

Did the mothership make her immortal or something btw?

edit-

Image is HOW big? LVLshot is failing me :nervous:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.