Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 237730 times)

Unless anybody else has a better idea, I (rather unimaginatively) name this island 'Block and Hook'  :D

Btw, are there any plans on adding in the old chest (and possibly door) locking mechanism we had on the old world?

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Unless anybody else has a better idea, I (rather unimaginatively) name this island 'Block and Hook'  :D

Btw, are there any plans on adding in the old chest (and possibly door) locking mechanism we had on the old world?

Isla Del Funtapaz

Read the sign!

EDIT: Just had it pointed out that you may have boated/swam there instead of using the telepad. But I claimed that island on launch. Probably should've made that post about it during testing. =/ You can see my walkway and the sign in the dynmap image there. It's on the smaller tip.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 07:18:47 pm by Swantz »
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
What exactly are the rules for teleporters? Does Swantz get a teleporter to his personal island because he made the teleporter, or just because why not? FWIW I think it's kind of hard to claim an island for yourself and have the teleporter right there for the public. :nervous:

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
What exactly are the rules for teleporters? Does Swantz get a teleporter to his personal island because he made the teleporter, or just because why not? FWIW I think it's kind of hard to claim an island for yourself and have the teleporter right there for the public. :nervous:

You can create a teleporter in the telepad hub area if you wish. As long as you can create a structure of the same type. And the island isn't very big, and there is another just north of spawn island. I would move to that one just to be nice, but someone has already started building there as well.
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Are there some mods in play I should be reading up on? Runecraft?

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Runecraft would be a good idea, yes.

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I've got a neat little fortification at x=88, y=70, z=919. Check it out if you're in the neighborhood area.

What's the deal with the old map? I made a bed to set my spawn and when I lay down a second or two later I was at the spawn in the old map. Didn't know how to get back (so logged off and back on again).

Also does anyone know what's up with the passive mobs in this version? Will they respawn? Or will the world become depopulated without farming again? Just wondering because I'm hiding in a hole in the ground at half a heart and I'm gonna need to kill some stuff to fill my belly.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Passive mobs always have a low chance of respawning, but honestly, with the inclusion of breeding, there's pretty much no physical way that people won't get the animals they need.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
What's the deal with the old map? I made a bed to set my spawn and when I lay down a second or two later I was at the spawn in the old map. Didn't know how to get back (so logged off and back on again).

:pimp:

Also does anyone know what's up with the passive mobs in this version? Will they respawn? Or will the world become depopulated without farming again? Just wondering because I'm hiding in a hole in the ground at half a heart and I'm gonna need to kill some stuff to fill my belly.

You'll probably have to breed them.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Isla Del Funtapaz

Read the sign!

EDIT: Just had it pointed out that you may have boated/swam there instead of using the telepad. But I claimed that island on launch. Probably should've made that post about it during testing. =/ You can see my walkway and the sign in the dynmap image there. It's on the smaller tip.

I can see it but I must admit when I first eyeballed the island from the dynamap I was zoomed out enough that I didn't spot your small construction and yes, I did swim straight from spawn.  I have found another suitable island (albeit much farther away) which has a area of mountains with a similar shape and make a equally unimaginative name for it.  ;)  I'm going to lay torches along it's coast to mark it.  On the way to your island I passed one that was similarly lit.  I ignored it simply because I thought 'somebody else must have claimed it'  :rolleyes:

In my defence tho, I did walk around the entire block area of you island and found no sign of claim and I didn't bother to check the hook part cause I simply thought that all the good stuff was in the block part.  I wasn't even planning on touching the hook; my build was going to be quite unobtrusive, my complex not going above the majority of the surrounding geography meaning anybody who passed by the island in a boat would probably have no clue my structure was there...  The other island I found probably won't even see legitimately see another player once I move there...  Its a shame there aren't many more of those interesting looking islands in the currently known world.

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Passive mobs always have a low chance of respawning, but honestly, with the inclusion of breeding, there's pretty much no physical way that people won't get the animals they need.

Well, the only danger is that I kill them all before I start growing wheat. Though I threw down a farm, so, that shouldn't be an issue now. Hopefully.

:pimp:

Oh well, guess I can't sleep the night away on the server anymore. Which usually isn't a problem, but when I'm hiding in my cave at half a heart I usually want to wait until daytime to gather.

Runecraft would be a good idea, yes.

Yeah, that looks complicated. Think I'll just ignore it for now.
Is that the only mod in use?

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net

Isla Del Funtapaz

Read the sign!

I can see it but I must admit when I first eyeballed the island from the dynamap I was zoomed out enough that I didn't spot your small construction and yes, I did swim straight from spawn.  I have found another suitable island (albeit much farther away) which has a area of mountains with a similar shape and make a equally unimaginative name for it.  ;)  I'm going to lay torches along it's coast to mark it.  On the way to your island I passed one that was similarly lit.  I ignored it simply because I thought 'somebody else must have claimed it'  :rolleyes:

In my defence tho, I did walk around the entire block area of you island and found no sign of claim and I didn't bother to check the hook part cause I simply thought that all the good stuff was in the block part.  I wasn't even planning on touching the hook; my build was going to be quite unobtrusive, my complex not going above the majority of the surrounding geography meaning anybody who passed by the island in a boat would probably have no clue my structure was there...  The other island I found probably won't even see legitimately see another player once I move there...  Its a shame there aren't many more of those interesting looking islands in the currently known world.

Just build a telepad to it at the hub. People will show up that way. I'll help, and or even build it for you if you like.

Formerly known as Swantz

Just build a telepad to it at the hub. People will show up that way. I'll help, and or even build it for you if you like.

Thanks for the offer but I havn't even got to my new island yet, let alone have anything worth seeing. ^_^

Also, why is it I've been able to swim across most of the map without needing a single bite of food and as soon as I hit dry land I'm practically starving?

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
when we use a bed are we supposed to end up back at the old world?

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
yes

Thanks for the offer but I havn't even got to my new island yet, let alone have anything worth seeing. ^_^

Also, why is it I've been able to swim across most of the map without needing a single bite of food and as soon as I hit dry land I'm practically starving?

I think that's a bug/feature. Back on the old world in 1.2 or whatever I'd boat for like half an hour and wouldn't need any food. I don't know why that is.

Btw, nice job to whoever thought up the spawn island. Having the players all wake up in a little beach-side hut and being introduced to the rules, etcetera in signs was well done.

Definite improvement over just spawning at an intersection of some jumbled metropolis

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
If I can get a teleporter to work I might try and set up a quarry in the desert.  Unless someone has already started building there.  Also, once I get a pen built I'll be in the market for some eggs...
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Are the teleporters user-specific or are they server-wide? Because if it's the latter, it will be hard to know what other markers people have used.