Author Topic: Has anyone tried BP with the new FSOpen?  (Read 6900 times)

Re: Has anyone tried BP with the new FSOpen?
I remember another tech said that I had kicked the case and made the CPU fan come off.  That's just like a slap in the face.

It looks like my brother wants to get the retail version of Windows 7 Full Pro.  Cheapest one I could find was at Newegg for $250.00

Well I can't try to install it yet, until I'm out of college which will be 2 weeks.  That way if there are any problems, the computer can sit and wait till I get enough money.

If you're in college, contact IT and see if your institution has an MSDN Academic Alliance subscription. If it does, you can get Windows 7 Professional for free (yes, the license would allow you to keep using it after you graduate).

Edit: fixed version name.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 04:01:12 pm by LordPomposity »

Offline LHN91

I remember another tech said that I had kicked the case and made the CPU fan come off.  That's just like a slap in the face.

It looks like my brother wants to get the retail version of Windows 7 Full Pro.  Cheapest one I could find was at Newegg for $250.00

Well I can't try to install it yet, until I'm out of college which will be 2 weeks.  That way if there are any problems, the computer can sit and wait till I get enough money.

If you're in college, contact ITS and see if your institution has an MSDN Academic Alliance subscription. If it does, you can get Windows 7 Business for free (yes, the license would allow you to keep using it after you graduate).

Just to avoid confusion, Windows 7 Professional is the Business edition.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

If you're in college, contact IT and see if your institution has an MSDN Academic Alliance subscription. If it does, you can get Windows 7 Professional for free (yes, the license would allow you to keep using it after you graduate).

Edit: fixed version name.

at least at my school, that was on a per-class basis.  i was out of the eligible classes by the time windows 7 came out :(.  instead i got about 6 keys each for vista and XP.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline LHN91

I'm in CS at my Uni, and get 2 keys each for XP SP3, Vista Business and 7 Professional. Also get keys for Server 2003 and different versions of 2008, as well as a few other things. It's kinda great lol.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh, you can also get Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate. That's like several thousand dollars of software right there.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline LHN91

Thanks for reminding me. Grabbing that now.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i wonder if working for the government gets me access to stuff like that.  i probably should have looked into that a few weeks ago BEFORE buying windows 7.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I'm betting it's pirated copy that's using 7Loader by Daz or a similar activator.  On final reboot, it installs an OEM certificate and serial (key), and modifies the boot code to boot a modified GRUB that loads an OEM SLIC (that normally resides in the BIOS) to the appropriate location in memory, so that Windows will see it as if it came from the BIOS.  Ta-da!  Windows is "activated", because the certificate, serial, and SLIC all match, let's say, Acer's.  M$ can't block the key or all Acers will go dead.  That and 7Loader has certs, serials, and SLICs for almost every major manufacturer, with the ability to add your own if you want.

EDIT: Well, I should mention, the only difference between an activated copy that uses a loader and a genuine copy is the fact that M$ doesn't get paid any money for it.  Unless, of course, someone also included a virus, keylogger or what-not with it, that's always a possibility, but that's apples and oranges.  A pirated copy activated with 7Loader isn't detectable by M$ (unless they manage to check the boot code, which would be hard because 7Loader inserts random code into every activation).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 07:38:26 pm by jr2 »

Offline est1895

Well where can you get Windows for a discount price then?

Also, can a desktop computer have a notebook hard drive?

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Well where can you get Windows for a discount price then?

Also, can a desktop computer have a notebook hard drive?

Newegg sells OEM versions for 'discount'. if you go to college, odds are the school has a MSDN subscription and you can ask them for a seriously discounted (or sometimes even free) copy.

If the drive is SATA, then yes. If the drive is PATA (40+ pins) then no.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them