Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 589007 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
funny thing, when my parents substituted the 386 for the 486, there was a noticeable performance drop. Never understood why at the time.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
We went from a 386 to a P1 166mhz
Now that's a performance jump.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Starcitizen is good though.

40 FPS is good
You only need a SSD, GTX 1080 and 16GB for such stellar framerates.

$101
Get a refund imo.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Those who threw their money at it will be unable to play the game in the end one way or another for they have nothing left to pay the hardware to run it with.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
https://attackofthefanboy.com/news/star-citizen-backers-no-longer-able-to-get-refunds/

Lots of he-said, she-said, little to no proof, but apparently SC successfully argued that they don't have to give refunds in small claims court. If this particular development isn't the pivotal buyer beware moment of crowdfunding, I don't know what is, or will be.

Offline Luis Dias

You only need a SSD, GTX 1080 and 16GB for such stellar framerates.

Might be a good reasonable hardware minimum specs when it's released tbh.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
https://attackofthefanboy.com/news/star-citizen-backers-no-longer-able-to-get-refunds/

Lots of he-said, she-said, little to no proof, but apparently SC successfully argued that they don't have to give refunds in small claims court. If this particular development isn't the pivotal buyer beware moment of crowdfunding, I don't know what is, or will be.

This is huge and ****ed up. Firefly212 backed in 2013 and should have been entitled to a refund afaik. For CIG to argue that the new ToS applies retroactively is both false and an extremely aggressive move against consumers.

Putting the ToS aside, as a consumer who bought a product that was then left undelivered, the guy should be entitled to a refund. I can't help but feel that had this happened in Europe he would've gotten his money back.

Star Citizen's reputation, such that it was, has once again taken a huge knock. I really really hope that this occupies the top spot for anyone who googles "Star Citizen", hopefully it will deter new backers.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how truthful the reporting is, but if the small claims court actually ruled that the new ToS applies retroactively, that's an...unfortunate ruling, to say the least. Yet another reason to completely avoid "crowdfunding" or pre-ordering anything.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I wonder how that applies internationally.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how truthful the reporting is, but if the small claims court actually ruled that the new ToS applies retroactively, that's an...unfortunate ruling, to say the least. Yet another reason to completely avoid "crowdfunding" or pre-ordering anything.

Which is fair and sensible. We'll know the truth once the court transcripts are released.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
As stupid as Star Citizen is, without crowdfunding, I would not have Overload, and a lot of other worthwhile projects would not be invested in.  This is really just how investment works.  Some things work out, some do not.  Maybe the better lesson is to have some healthy skepticism when the promises are so grandiose.

Offline starlord

That's precisely what I'm afraid of. How many promising projects might go belly up in the future because of the desastrous choices of a few like star citizen or no man sky?

Should star citizen not deliver (which I see as more and more unavoidable), the negative impact on crowdfunding projects in general will be enormous.

On the other hand it's funny to see how in a sense, history repeats itself through terrible management decisions. Anyone familiar with the cinematic industry remember "food fight"? Funny how I'm sensing déjà vu.

They should take the money they get from crowdfounding to lotterys all over the world. With all the money they received they'll surely be able to win some nice jackpot, and to lever the sum thereby.

That's precisely what I'm afraid of. How many promising projects might go belly up in the future because of the desastrous choices of a few like star citizen or no man sky?

Wait, No Man's Sky wasn't crowdfunded right?

Should star citizen not deliver (which I see as more and more unavoidable), the negative impact on crowdfunding projects in general will be enormous.

I don't think it will have any impact at all.  Star Citizen is years old, it's long from the public eye except for those involved in it.

Offline starlord

I disagree. It made enough of an impact to appear on the Guinness books due to the sums involved. It was even mentioned several times in Forbes articles. At this point, it is an oddball case of marketing people are studying.

At this point I simply feel disconcerted about the whole thing. I mean, sure I'd love to play a wing commander spiritual sequel, and there was a time I was genuinely excited for squadron 42, which I was waiting to buy.
But now I look at the sums involved... Sheesh! An I think people are really losing perspective on priorities. I mean... Imagine that kind of money funding a biotech research lab...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, Akalabeth is right. SC was and will likely be the largest crowd funded game for the foreseeable future, but at this point, its failure will not be seen as an indictment of crowdfunding as a concept.

If anything, SC has already had all the impact on the crowdfunding scene it was going to have; I think campaigns these days are very careful to stay in scope or to have developers  with proven track records on board.

Like, while I wouldn't give Chris Roberts any more money, I will definitely consider backing whatever Harebrained Schemes are doing next; similarly, I've backed Project Wingman purely on the strength of their existing demos and their commitment to not expanding the scope of their project despite taking in a lot more money than what they were asking for.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

Wait, No Man's Sky wasn't crowdfunded right?

And it was actually shipped. And it's still being worked on, to this day (big release coming this month btw).

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
No man's sky's problem was that people believed that the release was the final version and it sucked compared with what was promised. That was entirely Hello Games fault, but it really should be thought of as being in early access.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Luis Dias

oh yeah, they were terrible at communicating what they really had vs what they hoped to eventually have. I really think this was Murray's lack of media savvyness, given the kinds of noises he has made since - "I've learned we're not good at talking, we're better at coding, so we'll stick to do the latter and talk as less as possible" - which leads me to think they've learned their lesson.