Author Topic: Kinda off topic but...  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Zarax

Kinda off topic but...
I think it's easier to ask here as you might already have dealt with the problem :D

Is there any way to play the old WC games without having to resort to virtual PC/being screwed by 3dfx?

Thanks for any answer :)
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Lynx

Being screwed by 3dfx...I suppose you're talking about Prophecy and Secret Ops. They run with D3d too. There's a fanmade high-resolution patch available for WCP here: WCP high res

and for Secret Ops: SO high res

For WC4 - The Price of Freedom there's a Win95 patch available: WC4 95

If you are lucky, youre in possession of the Kilrathi Saga: WC1,2 and 3 reprogrammed to run on Windows. If not, you can try DOSBox  , an easy to use DOS emulator, though WC3 will only run very slowly on it. There's a site somewhere where you can download the KS files to make WC3 win compatible, thouh it still crashes on some computers for no apparent reason, updated.

Good luck
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Zarax

Thanks a lot!
BTW, are there any fanmade remakes like WCSAGA around?
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Lynx

There's a Privateer Remake around somewhere. That's the only remake I know of.

There are also some excellent mods for Secret Ops out, Wing Commander: Unknown Enemy and Wing Commander: Standoff. You should try them out.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Zarax

That's good, any website i can start with?
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Zarax

Great!
I'm sort of a discountinuous WC player (I've got WC1 and Secret Ops) but i'd really like a revival ;)
The Best is Yet to Come