Author Topic: WC Prologue says "Unable to get proper pixel format for OpenGL W32!"  (Read 5840 times)

WC Prologue says "Unable to get proper pixel format for OpenGL W32!"
Hello there!

I'm running Vista Business 32 on a HP TC4400 tablet PC with the Intel Core 2 duo 7200, 2 GB of RAM and the Intel 945 GM Express graphics card. I already played WC Prologue on that thing, so i know it's theoretically working. I can't remember exactly, but i assume it ran under the preinstalled version of Windows XP.
I would just have installed XP to get that game working, but the problem is: having Vista installed it gets a whole lot more complicated to post-install XP (unlike the other way round).
So i bought a new joystick, just to notice that WC Prologue keeps complaining about the pixel format. I'm running the latest drivers and stuff... so please can anyone tell me: what's going on?

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Re: WC Prologue says "Unable to get proper pixel format for OpenGL W32!"
Welcome!

IIRC the problem is Vista. There is something wrong with the OpenGL under Vista. I don't know anyone who could run the game with Vista on his computer. Sorry!  :(

(That OS is a big ball of bull****, it only looks nice.)

I hope there will be a solution for the problem soon.

(Or is there already one and I missed it?)

-Aginor
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Have you run the launcher first?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
While I'm not so good in that sort of technical things, AFAIK there is really a problem running the game in Vista (we had similar problems in the beta test, though I thought we put that in the readme). Is this only appearing for playing WCS or normal SCP Freespace too ?
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Captain Moran

• WCS Voice Actor
The sad fact is Vista is still bleeding edge in a lot of ways. Microsoft will not admit it but it is true. My company is not even going to consider Vista until 2008. We tend to let the rest of the world do the debugging for us.

Not much help, I know.

Do you have a recovery disk you could use to restore the XP preinstall???

Moran out.
They are not toys. They are collectables.

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
I think remember something.....

Try to use Direct3D instead of OpenGL, IIRC that worked for one of my friends.
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, that might get the game run, but will lead into certain problems ingame. It's not meant anymore to play in D3D
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Ah.... yeah...  Now that you mention it I remember another thing: My friends said there are some graphics problems, but it runs. Now I know why.  :D

Offline KeldorKatarn

http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3760

ATI and nVidia have said they will release drivers for Windows Vista which will ensure support for OpenGL again.

I don't know if such drivers are out already, but since Vista doesn't have OpenGL support from installation as XP used to
you need to make sure you have such a Vista Compatible Driver installed from your graphics card producer.

If Intel has such a driver released alread I don't know.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Multi-boot with an XP install disc, if you have one.  If all you have is a "restoration disc" that will wipe everything out, I'd say Bittorrent an XP version of the same type as the one included on the restoration disc, eg 'XP Home Edition, Includes Service Pack 1" or "XP Professional Edition, Includes Service Pack 2".. make sure you get the service packs right and that you don't d'l a Business (Corporate) Edition.  Then, just use the same key as the one used with the restoration disc; I think it will work.  Basically, you're using the exact same Windows XP as on your restoration disc, with the same key; after you install it, you can upgrade to the latest Service Pack.

EDIT: If you don't know how to multi-boot, ask me, I'll walk you through it.

thanks a lot for your replies!

although it seems like i cant get around reinstalling XP, im very thankful for your answers. because of a crowded schedule, ill be able to do it next weekend earliest. but ill let you folks know how it worked out!

thanks again!

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
thanks a lot for your replies!

although it seems like i cant get around reinstalling XP, im very thankful for your answers. because of a crowded schedule, ill be able to do it next weekend earliest. but ill let you folks know how it worked out!

thanks again!

Did you try my suggestion?

Have you run the launcher first?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.