Author Topic: The Great Darkness (major spoilers)  (Read 43288 times)

Re: The Great Darkness (major spoilers)
Random Theory:
I think the Brahmans were not a single entity or species like the Vishnans, Shivans or Terrans, but were more a galactic community. According to the Ken mission and Universal Truth 2, there was the Dawn War. This Dawn War probably killed almost all life in the Galaxy and left it uninhabited, which is The Great Darkness. The Brahmans were the community which followed after the Dawn War and after learning the truth about it, they installed countermeasures to prevent a second apocalypse. These countermeasures could be the Termination Protocol (terminate species before they can shatter the peace) and the Vishnans, which should preserve the status quo. Either the Vishnans ****ed up really hard (... and in their death we watched your making) or the Termination Protocol isn't perfect.

Offline Aesaar

If the team had really wanted the insanity images to scar you, they could have done it.

You see, there's this movie called Event Horizon...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:35:51 pm by Aesaar »

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
If the team had really wanted the insanity images to scar you, they could have.

You see, there's this movie called Event Horizon Doom: The Movie, Done Right...

Fixed :P

And no, that film was not scary. UT is because pondering madness makes me uncomfortable, deeply so.

Offline Aesaar

Excuse me, it was clearly a WH40k prequel.

And it had some intensely disturbing images in it, though you wouldn't quite notice them unless you slowed down the sequences in question.

Offline Luis Dias

The eyes thing was deeply disturbing in EH, IMHO.

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
If the team had really wanted the insanity images to scar you, they could have.

You see, there's this movie called Event Horizon Doom: The Movie, Done Right...

Fixed :P

And no, that film was not scary. UT is because pondering madness makes me uncomfortable, deeply so.

A year ago Universal Truth would of scared me pretty bad, but all those LPs of horror games have desensitized me. At this point nothing short of jumpscare-ridden supernatural horror will do more than unnerve me a little.
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)

Offline qwadtep

Jumpscares are lame. UT is unnerving for its atmosphere more than anything.

Offline An4ximandros

Heyyy! I found where one of the images comes from! Sweet dreams gentlemen.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Jumpscares are lame. UT is unnerving for its atmosphere more than anything.

UT is horror done right.  So are Sync and Transcend.  There is nothing more horrific that the human imagination.  This is why most horror films suck.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline a_b_c

Speaking of Sync:

"Personal log, Max Calten, Alpha 3 - freelancer.

I think there's something out there. It's not the Shivans that are our problem. They're just messengers. Messengers. And we wouldn't listen. We just ran away. They're always running away. Everyone runs.

I can feel it watching me. It's out there, somewhere. Waiting. Sometimes it's so close I can't breathe. It's not a creature. Nothing like that could be alive. It's going to catch us and make us never exist. We've done this to ourselves. It's something that wants nothing. Everything to become nothing. And the Shivans are its messenger..."

Offline -Sara-

Here's some thought on the Great Darkness.

We have discovered no hint, no residue, no archaelogical or astronomical clue that could confirm the existence of a Brahman civilization. The very notion of a mythical progenitor species is a hoary cliche.

Yet our own coexistence with the Vasudans, and our knowledge of the extent of Ancient xenocide, summons a powerful mystery. Technologically sophisticated life is apparently common in the galaxy - it arises frequently, and it has done so for some time now, at least in the cosmological span. Why, then, is the galaxy empty? Why do we find no von Neumann probes propagating through the subspace network? Where is the life that must have come before us?

We should inhabit a teeming universe, a bazaar of wonders, a cosmic ecumenopolis overflowing with civilization. The stars and galaxies around us should by all rights have been restructured to the needs of unimaginably sophisticated engineers. Technology self-catalyzes, and that catalysis has had time to flourish. The civilizations of the universe should, by now, have conquered reality itself.

Yet we find no such wonder. Our cosmos is silent.

Certainly the Shivans provide one answer to this question - a great filter that annihilates spacefaring civilizations. But what if there was a time before the Shivans? What happened to the first life in the universe, the children of the dawn?

Did they pass on to some unglimpsable destiny, leaving no wreckage or monument? Or do we inhabit their tomb - a quarantine zone, a carcass, malignant with some ancient mistake?

So the galaxy is nearly empty and odds of running into something are rather tiny. Then why did we run into the Vasudans when we did? It surely can't have been mere coincedence, not with those odds. Then, did someone WANT us to run into the old ones, to PROVOKE these Shivans and Vishnans to appear to us? Vasudan-Terran conflict made a noise which could have drawn their attention, but why and for what reason would someone do such a thing. And does it relate to the Great Darkness, or to something quite opposite of this darkness, something that sparks these events of conflict? Something that needed for the Vasudans and Terrans to meet?
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline qwadtep

The Terrans and Zods just evolved next door to each other. I'm sure intelligent life is common in the universe, just not huge Type IV+ civilizations, since all the young species get glassed by the Shivans and the old empires got glassed by each other and finally themselves.

THE OLD BURNT THE COSMOS CLEAN IN THE WARS OF THEIR YOUTH. NEVER AGAIN WILL THAT PRICE BE PAID.
your creators blundered once and in doing so unleashed the deepness that stalks the cold roads of the cosmos. we must prepare.

If anyone has recording software, as a favor would you be willing to please record a YouTube of the various alternative / "bad" endings to UT (including not entering the Shivan tunnel, turning around when told not to, staying behind, etc.)?  In return I can only offer my gratitude -- I've been using QuantumDelta's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnRisy2o6OI playthrough to look at the mission frame by frame.

If nobody can or is willing, no worries - it's not urgent.  :)

I'd FRAPS the mission myself but my hard disk space is currently critical (no way it's going to be able to handle the temp files created).  Long overdue for a total backup and cleanout. :blah:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:01:41 pm by Gregster2k »

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
If anyone has recording software, as a favor would you be willing to please record a YouTube of the various alternative / "bad" endings to UT (including not entering the Shivan tunnel, turning around when told not to, staying behind, etc.)?  In return I can only offer my gratitude -- I've been using QuantumDelta's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnRisy2o6OI playthrough to look at the mission frame by frame.

I'd FRAPS the mission myself but my hard disk space is currently critical (no way it's going to be able to handle the temp files created).  Long overdue for a total backup and cleanout. :blah:

You'd first have to admit publicly that you are too chicken to re-play/play? the bad endings!  :p (lol jk)
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

You'd first have to admit publicly that you are too chicken to re-play/play? the bad endings!  :p (lol jk)
:shaking: OKAY YES I'm a giant chicken. It would be "Play." by the way.  Don't get me wrong.  I love this stuff.  Should be noted I STILL haven't beaten Amnesia: The Dark Descent yet.  I love it, but dlkjf;jksdaklfjsda;fjsd;kljkjfdjf;lsa *huddles and rocks in chair a little*  When I played Transcend, I had nightmares for a while.   I'd close my eyes, start to nod off and:
Spoiler:

GTF PEGASUS TWO INCHES FROM FACE

... ... ...  Screw this.  I'm going in.  Fixing FS2 install.  Still can't FRAPS it (my FRAPS sucks anyway), running on an all nighter right now [zero sleep]...so...this is clearly THE BEST TIME!  It'll be like a true insan1ty smiulati0n#### connection terminated . spurious interrupt terminal 214-B #xt91-4140-#uf#fk00000he710##### NO CARRIER

Offline An4ximandros

It's not that scary, specially when you see the images out of context, I just did. Hell, one of them actually looks kinda like a potential wallpaper for my PC. :nod:

PS: The first flash you get at the void is actually pretty awesome, want me to attach it? ;7

PS: The first flash you get at the void is actually pretty awesome, want me to attach it? ;7

You should. In fact, I would like to see all of the flashes, but I have no idea how to view UT using FRED...

Offline Luis Dias

Use VPView to extract files from the vp's.

Offline An4ximandros

I recommend listening to horror2, on a loop, while you look at them.

Offline Qent

Did I get them all? I have no idea when each triggers. And how do you get the BSOD? I was sure I got it, but I can't find a reference to it in the mission file. :confused:

Oh yeah and the red flashes don't look quite right on 1920x1200 resolution.