Author Topic: The WoD questions and discussion thread  (Read 51366 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: The WoD questions and discussion thread
IIRC we had this discussion around the time of WoD's release and the explanation Spoon gave was that Cyrvans are much better at handling multiple data sources at the same time thus Cyrvan craft play to this advantage so where as a Terran suffers information overload a Cyrvan is maximised in available data and its this same principle which their control scheme is designed around
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Lorric

IIRC we had this discussion around the time of WoD's release and the explanation Spoon gave was that Cyrvans are much better at handling multiple data sources at the same time thus Cyrvan craft play to this advantage so where as a Terran suffers information overload a Cyrvan is maximised in available data and its this same principle which their control scheme is designed around

Yes.

Offline -Norbert-

Sure we did (at length ;) ), but back then we could only assume it was possible to modify the Aestival for Terran use, now with Stranded we have proof of it, so I thought it worth mentioning.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The ship is designed for Cyrvans, not Terrans. The Cyrvans can handle it just fine. Multitaskers extraordinaire.

IIRC we had this discussion around the time of WoD's release and the explanation Spoon gave was that Cyrvans are much better at handling multiple data sources at the same time thus Cyrvan craft play to this advantage

The problem is that's still a stupid answer. Situational awareness is life. The goal of any sane and rational fighter design is to minimize the tax on the pilot's awareness from the craft itself, so as to allow them to spare more attention for the fight.

Every time someone uses this excuse it comes down to saying "Cyrvan ships are badly designed ergonomically". They would be better pilots if they were not so highly tasked on internal data sources, because they could keep track of more external data sources and have a better overall perception of how the fight is going and what threats there are to their continued existence. Instead they've been artificially limited in the number of external data sources (and hence individual threats!) they can keep track of, making them more vulnerable then they need to be.

And don't give many any crap about the ship data feeds doing that, if it were that simple then you could tape a black sheet of construction paper over a section of the displays and say it's good for a Terran now. Something about the interior cockpit tasking is critical to the operation of an MCWS.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 01:45:42 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
If Cyrvan attention and assimilation of that in-cockpit data is automatic in the same way as, say, human proprioception, then giving them additional in-cockpit data feeds won't detract from their ability to pay attention to what's going on outside.

I think your argument makes sense to the extent that the two compete, but when you have a process with really good automaticity, there's no competition or interference with other taskings.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I think your argument makes sense to the extent that the two compete, but when you have a process with really good automaticity, there's no competition or interference with other taskings.

I accepted that argument the first time around, but now that we've moved on I can't anymore, because we're not doing the construction-paper bit and it's apparently more complex. Something in the cockpit datafeeds is requiring active management by the pilot or the MCWS does not fly like it should, or we could do the black construction paper bit and anybody could use them. It's not just about assimilation of information but about acting on it now, and that would impact the Cyrvan's ability to react to external information as well, if for no other reason then they have the same number and configuration of ways to manipulate their environment that a human does.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
With neural inputs or an eye tracking system you can obtain a pretty high ceiling on user input. It also seems like the construction paper solution might not work if the spectrum of incoming information allows better, rather than more, control responses. If the ship is dynamically unstable in some science fictional way, it might be simply impractical to fly without the ability to integrate a lot of incoming information.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Part of the data flow is fed through a neural interface and said interface has an overloading effect on the human senses. A cockpit customized for Terrans involves removing the neural interface and automating most of that data feed. Which reduces the amount of control the pilot has over the more minute details of the craft.
The neural interface is essential for the mech form of the MCWS however and it cannot properly function without it.

In a way you could compare it to replacing a windows desktop UI with the metro interface. Ya know, make it nice and casual. Kinda like a mac.  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It seems to me that a better comparison would be adding a Windows UI overlay to DOS. You can get much finer control by working on raw data presented as text, but it's much slower overall. Unless you can make up for it by memorizing commands and typing really fast, an GUI would be much faster in daily operation and easier to learn, at the cost of clumsy access to advanced commands and fine-tuning.

Offline qwadtep

Bah. Just load a backup of Infi onto the Aestival's computers and plug Dawn in. Cue heartwarming reunion mission.

e: I bet Misuzu's weirdly-wired brain is compatible too somehow.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:48:46 am by qwadtep »

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
they have the same number and configuration of ways to manipulate their environment that a human does.

Uh, excuse me? I think you're forgetting the ears.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
Well, I continued to work on mah Zy campaign and one question came up to my mind:

In what order were the alien species conquered/uplifted?
I guess the Nordera were the first, but were the Cordi conquered before the Hertak attacked the Fura'ngle?
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Cordi were last
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lorric

Cordi were last

What order did the rest come in? I am curious.

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
Cordi were last

1. Nordera (they were uplifted)
2. Fura'ngle
3. Zy
4. Cordi

That said, the Cordi put up an effective resistance against the Hertak and the Zy and Fura'ngle and, well, the Nordera. That's quite badass.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
Either they had a huge amount of ships, the ships they used to have were a lot more powerful than the ones they had in the campaign, or the Hertak were just incompetent as they usually are.

Offline Lorric

Cordi were last

1. Nordera (they were uplifted)
2. Fura'ngle
3. Zy
4. Cordi

That said, the Cordi put up an effective resistance against the Hertak and the Zy and Fura'ngle and, well, the Nordera. That's quite badass.

Thanks.

Either they had a huge amount of ships, the ships they used to have were a lot more powerful than the ones they had in the campaign, or the Hertak were just incompetent as they usually are.

It's the first. Overwhelming numbers. The Hertak were competant, by getting around this by kidnapping their queen and forcing them into service. The Hertak also reduced the quality of their ships after their subjugation.

So just a quick question here, what is the current state of WoD2, I mean I get if you're currently not working on it due to time constraints or things have slowed due to work overload etc. but while the forum game has been running quite nicely, I don't think we've had any news over the current state of things as far as the mod goes.

Offline Flak

I am waiting for the completed ship designs though, so I can play around with the editor.

Offline -Norbert-

As I understood it, Spoon is completely re-working WoD1 so WoD2 is on hold for the moment.