Author Topic: Scimitar!  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Ha! Bet ye were thinking about swords, right?

Well, I'm very afraid that I have to say no to that....cause I have this ugly beasty instead:

"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
And, interestingly, it does bear a resemblence to the WC I Scimitar, too. Which is a good thing, IMO.

EDIT: Hmm...destroyer or cruiser-class vessel (using normal, not FS conventions), I'm guessing. Maybe smaller. It has to be manuverable enough to bring those cannon to bear, and it has a clear "bridge" structure, as opposed to a cockpit, so it's clearly a capital craft...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 02:53:46 pm by 2191 »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
And I was so psyched for a sword too... scimitars are awesome.

Anyway, chill looking ship. I'd say it was a small-ish cruiser?
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Singh, you really should learn proper modeling.  With the eye you've got for proportions and styles in DoGA, you'd be bound to be good at true modeling and it'd give you much more flexability.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Thank you.

It's a smallish destroyer (think In Amber Clad) made for atmospheric drops and combat, hence the pods underneath. It's nice and fast, as it should be to get those cannons to face the targets....

True modelling? Meh...I just opened up a modelling program and they sneer at me with a thousand buttons to do a thousand different things. DoGA was the only thing that actually didn't try to confuse me at all........

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
New render of the scimitar, with the triest in the background.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
Originally posted by Singh
Ha! Bet ye were thinking about swords, right?

actually i was thinking the schimitar from nemesis :)
I hate My signature!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Me too.

Too bad, I really liked that ship. :p
-C

Hmmmm, Scimitar is ofly used as a ship name... Time to rename my ship.
:nervous:

@Singh:
Singh, you really should learn proper modeling. With the eye you've got for proportions and styles in DoGA, you'd be bound to be good at true modeling and it'd give you much more flexability.

See? See? I told you! Drop that pseudo-modelling DoGA proggie and get started on a real one. You would be better off, and so would we for using your stuff in-game.
DoGA wastes too many polys. If you had made that ship with a dedicated program, you would have been able to use it in FS, or any other game. DoGA was good for you to learn the basics, now you need to evolve. It would be a damn shame not to be able to use your great models just because they were made in DoGA.
Learn 3D Max and you´ll put us all to shame.
:nod:

PS: Did i mention i love your Scimitar?
:yes:
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by Swamp_Thing
Hmmmm, Scimitar is ofly used as a ship name... Time to rename my ship.
:nervous:

@Singh:

See? See? I told you! Drop that pseudo-modelling DoGA proggie and get started on a real one. You would be better off, and so would we for using your stuff in-game.
DoGA wastes too many polys. If you had made that ship with a dedicated program, you would have been able to use it in FS, or any other game. DoGA was good for you to learn the basics, now you need to evolve. It would be a damn shame not to be able to use your great models just because they were made in DoGA.
Learn 3D Max and you´ll put us all to shame.
:nod:

PS: Did i mention i love your Scimitar?
:yes:

A Scimitar is actually a sword, a rather sharp and unique one at that.

IIRC, it can be used in-game, it's around 11k polies, which isnt overly excessive (there are capships with greater)

As for dropping DoGA, I refer you to my earlier comment:

True modelling? Meh...I just opened up a modelling program and they sneer at me with a thousand buttons to do a thousand different things. DoGA was the only thing that actually didn't try to confuse me at all........

Just opening up 3DSMax (or anyother modelling program for that matter) scares me ****less with the sheer amount of buttons all over the place. I don't even know what each one does and theres like a bazillion of 'em! :shaking:

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Originally posted by Ashrak

actually i was thinking the schimitar from nemesis :)
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
awww - pffft with ya!

anyways, she's turreted now. Grand total of 112k Polys....

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by Singh
Just opening up 3DSMax (or anyother modelling program for that matter) scares me ****less with the sheer amount of buttons all over the place. I don't even know what each one does and theres like a bazillion of 'em! :shaking:

But each one of those buttons actually does something useful, once you learn what it is.  I'll admit, the learning curve on Max is steep.  Took me a while to get the whole modifier stack thing, and I still don't take much advantage of it.  But the fact that it's there makes it vastly more flexable once you do learn it than I think DoGA could ever be.

Though I'll admit, that was a pretty fast assembly of a 120k poly model.  It'd take me ages to do something that complex in Max.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by StratComm

But each one of those buttons actually does something useful, once you learn what it is.  I'll admit, the learning curve on Max is steep.  Took me a while to get the whole modifier stack thing, and I still don't take much advantage of it.  But the fact that it's there makes it vastly more flexable once you do learn it than I think DoGA could ever be.

Though I'll admit, that was a pretty fast assembly of a 120k poly model.  It'd take me ages to do something that complex in Max.

Meh. Still a thousand buttons to remember.

Your second point reminds me of another reason I love DoGA: That entire model? Took me around 3 hours to make from scratch. The Asgard took around the same, while the Idun just a little more. I really bet I could output an entire fleet within a week in DoGA if I had the time and the will to...albiet, they'd all look crappy :p

Had I used TS or some other modelling program though...I wouldn't even have finished one within a year cause i'd end up in an asylum after it drove me mad :p

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Aww, come on if I can use TS you can too.:lol: Take a run thru my tutorial in my sig, I've kinda been looking for someone who don't know how to use TS, to tell me what needs improving.:)
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.