Author Topic: Battlestar/Gunstar for Possible Consideration?  (Read 6359 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Battlestar/Gunstar for Possible Consideration?
I was looking through "Alfred's Mind" again to check out some of the models when I chanced across this:

http://www.alfredsmind.ca/commissions/samples93.html

I'm not familiar with Razor or any of the other Battlestar types in the new series (apart from the Pegasus), but I assume this small type probably arose from Razor. But I might be wrong...

Regardless, would a vessel like this be of potential use to the project? Mere curiosity.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline newman

Re: Battlestar/Gunstar for Possible Consideration?
It's not from razor, it's a fan made design.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Figured that was a likely possibility. There's actually a few more designs on that site.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
It's backstep's Cygnus, you can find her on SciFi Meshes.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You haven't seen nBSG? You're missing out.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
You haven't seen nBSG? You're missing out.

I have, but only bits and pieces. Most of season 1, maybe a bit of season 2, and good portion of season 3 and 4. When your cable drops the Sci-Fic channel for no apparent reason from your package and you've got slow internet, you just make do. I've got the jist of it.  :yes:

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I was quite surprised to learn recently that there was a TOS BSG mod in the works for FSO a while back. It seems there were actually quite a few models dumped from the project for "public probing" when the project died.

Here's the thread in which the files in question were dumped; page 2 actually has the links which go directly to those files:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=61425.msg1212828#msg1212828

I definately feel that these models are not quite up to the standards of Diaspora, but I do wonder if the models for some of the Colonial warships wouldn't be a good base for improving upon with this project... if that could be arranged. The fighters are definately not the best, either, but simultaneously do look pretty good. They have both a Mk.1 Viper and a Scorpion, which Diaspora seemingly won't get around to implementing for some time to come.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
On top of being old those models which aren't up to Diaspora standards, there are issues with way some of them were built which means they will no longer work with FSO even though they worked with retail FS2.

It would be far quicker to just build new models from scratch than to try to fix those.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Very true, Kara. However...

...That's one hell-of-a-broadside!

[attachment deleted by admin]

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Oooh, so that's where that model came from...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
You didn't know that?

Offline newman

95% of the work related to getting a ship in the game isn't modeling - it's uvw-ing, texturing, and exporting it properly, tabling included. Modeling is the quickest and easiest part of it all. That basically means that taking an old untextured model that probably needs fixing or adding detail makes little sense, in the end it's not quicker then building it from scratch. Our time would be better spent working on ships we actually need for Diaspora's R1 then fixing up lots of old ships because they're "almost there". Which, of course, they're not :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
I chose to disregard your advice newman, and offer you some ****ty unfinished untextured models and will continue to pester you about it until they're ingame.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I chose to disregard your advice newman, and offer you some ****ty unfinished untextured models and will continue to pester you about it until they're ingame.

Ragin' up?  :P

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Very true, Kara. However...

...That's one hell-of-a-broadside!

The throw weight of a Thanatos class Dreadstar will not be... inconsiderable  ;)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Is that what it's called? Will you change the appearance so it's more akin to the new BSG, or so that it remains similar to the older version?

I know the TOS BSG mod had another colonial capship as well. Lastly, will Diaspora incorporate the older pattern of "Galactica"-type battlestars? Certainly it won't be Colombia-Class, but...

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Thanatos is something different, home brewed for Diaspora.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
I have eyes only for the Bolitho.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline Demitri

I'm just looking forward to blowing them all up. Or, what is more likely, to BE blown up by all of them! :nod:
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie