Author Topic: BP: Subspace Physics?  (Read 1035 times)

BP: Subspace Physics?
I seem to recall that the Blue Planet crew had an extensive bit of knowledge of how they wanted subspace and subspace operation to work and decided not to put it in the game for pacing and other reasons. I was under the impression that it was information beyond the Canonical Reference page that had some explanation, such as Crash Jumps and Sprint drives. Is there a collection of even more detailed information out there?

Thank you for Reading and Responding.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: BP: Subspace Physics?
There is nothing so formalized as a lore bible for BP. When coming up with the rules for subspace in WiH, we operated on a couple of basic principles:
1. Subspace travel is effectively instantaneous within a solar system. There is no strategically relevant difference between jumping from Pluto to Mercury or from the Earth to the Moon; travel times are affected, but not in a way that would allow for more than firing off an early warning.
2. Subspace travel requires a navigation solution. In order to safely jump, a ship needs to calculate a jump solution, which in turn requires a lot of very precise measurements that take time to complete. Jumping without such a solution is possible, but runs the risk of your jump trajectory intersecting with a gravity field strong enough to pull you back into realspace.
3. Subspace drives require a charge time. In order to jump, the ship's generators need to build up a charge; jumps cannot be completed on a partial charge, but nothing stops you from just strapping another jump drive to your ship. Smaller ships recharge faster than larger ones.
4. Subspace travel is both enabled and hindered by gravity interactions. While you can jump out anywhere, you can only go so deep into a gravity well - smaller ships can go deeper than larger ones. Similarly, travel far away from a star is difficult too: larger ships cannot exit subspace without a minimum level of gravity present.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Thank you for the response. I've found both the universe and technology of FreeSpace interesting. Which come to think of it is apart of the Descent universe if the full title of FreeSpace 1 is any consideration. Though if I may ask are the UEF Intra-System gates following the general same rules in your mind?

As an aside I hope you, the General and the BP Team have been doing at least stable if not good in the intervening time. Ya'll really added something great to the fan-scape and deserve to keep the feather for the accomplishment. As I don't want to be badgering with questions that are mostly answerable by the nifty "FAQ" for BP, have a great day and thank you again for responding.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Which come to think of it is apart of the Descent universe if the full title of FreeSpace 1 is any consideration.

FreeSpace and Descent are not in a shared universe sort of situation. The title "Descent: FreeSpace" was something mandated by marketing, and not intended by Volition.

Though if I may ask are the UEF Intra-System gates following the general same rules in your mind?

Intrasystem gates can be thought of as external jump drives. For economic reasons, the UEF decided that building a gate network was cheaper than trying to maintain a large fleet of civilian vessels with jumpdrives.0

As an aside I hope you, the General and the BP Team have been doing at least stable if not good in the intervening time. Ya'll really added something great to the fan-scape and deserve to keep the feather for the accomplishment. As I don't want to be badgering with questions that are mostly answerable by the nifty "FAQ" for BP, have a great day and thank you again for responding.

No, thank you for playing!
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns