Author Topic: Shadows...  (Read 6456 times)

Offline A2597

you know...

I really didn't mean for this to become a debate on adding features to Freespace. I was just curious if anyone had picked up shadows or if it was planned for in the future. Short answer seemed to be yes, at some point we will get shadows.

the Freespace Open team is working hard on improving this engine for FREE, I don't want anyone to be ragging on them for not adding features fast enough, or not making them "cool" enough. And I apologise for my own comments that tilted that way.

You guys are doing an AWESOME job, I don't know how much work it is to modify an engine, but I'm guessing it's more than creating your own engine with all the bells and whistles already in mind. So THANK YOU. And please don't let our whineing get in the way of things. :)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah at some point in the future I plan on implementing shadows, but there are lots of things that need to be done first.

I just remembered another thing I need to take care of, I need to upgrade the way BSP geometry is stored/acced/ect.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
hey bob, any chance of ever converting over from per object rendering to per material rendering, to boost htl performance? it would really speed up the game when capships are around. :D maybe you can even improve the capabilities of textures with transparency, such as being able to use alpha arbitrarily, on any object, subobject, or weapon, with proper blending.

as for per object shadows, it would be nice. not as nice as full shadow effects. maybe comprimise and have an optional ship flag such as "cast shadows", to get shadow casting only on specific objects. might be a way to boost performance.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 03:28:09 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Alas, adding shadows is not like adding glowmaps, even self-shadowing would be cool, though I'll miss the sight of a Fenris drifting across a Deimos, throwing a tiny little shadow on the hull, you just got such a wonderful impact of size from it.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Well... as quite a few mods  are going for some ground missions now, I think selfshadowing would be a wast of time, when you could also work on 'real' shadows.

But I got one request. Please keep it in mind whenever you start with this: It should be possible to exclude ships/objects from casting and/or receiving shadows.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
*ahem*

Please?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
well i have a feeling that adding self shadowing is a first step to full shadowing. add in self shadowing and lay down the groundwork for a later upgrade.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I don't know if just adding a little part of a shadow technic and then later adding more will be good. Taking code in then out again and so on. I would love to see shadows but somewhere it was mentioned that if the shader system would work correct it would be easier to do shadows so I say concentrate on the shader system first and then add the shadows.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline A2597

I don't know if just adding a little part of a shadow technic and then later adding more will be good. Taking code in then out again and so on. I would love to see shadows but somewhere it was mentioned that if the shader system would work correct it would be easier to do shadows so I say concentrate on the shader system first and then add the shadows.

ditto. :)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think one would have to know the code pretty well to make that judgement.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Minimum Requirements

CPU: Athlon 64 3000+/Intel 2.8ghz
Graphics: Nvidia 6600/X800GTO (SM 2.0)
RAM: 768Mb/1Gb on Windows Vista
HDD: 6GB
Internet: 256k+
Optical Drive: DVD
Software: DX9.0c with Windows XP

OMFG