Author Topic: playing judas mission  (Read 3814 times)

Hi,

I'm trying to do the playing judas mission and it's just incredibly frustrating. Every time I get to where the EVA jumps in and then I either can get close enough in time or I get caught or something. This mission just isn't much fun. Is there a cheat code I can do to just skip it?

I tried typing www.volition-inc.com as I found in a walkthrough but with no luck.

Thanks for your help!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Try pressing f3 or f4 (don't remember which) to go to a list of all the wings in the mission. Click on all the hostile wings to add them to your f5 monitor group. Leave the menu, press f5, and you should get silver brackets around all of them so you can keep track of where they are.

It's a dumb mission.

really, there's no cheats for it?

grrr, no point in playing it if it's not fun.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Well you can always make yourself invulnerable. Are you playing FS1 or FSPort?

or just abandon FS1 and move on to the superior FS2  :nervous:

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Try pumping all your energy to engines, since you won't be needing weapons or shields at all. It'll give you a higher top speed and faster AB recharge.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
I think this is the best mission of FS1  :nod: If you can't go through this then i'd like to see your outcome in Black Omega, i had to do it 5 times before i passed it  :lol: The best help here is the radar. If you hear command say that something is closing in, maneuver your fighter until all the blips are on the side and the center is clear, and then go full speed. That way you are getting farther from everything. Once you are far enough, you can use that you can see much more from distance to plot your approach vector :)
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've still yet to have nearly as much difficulty on this mission as many seem to, which I guess must be due to pure dumb luck on my part.  My usual strategy is to just fly straight to the general vicinity of the node from the starting point, making sure to keep out of the way of any members of Arjuna wing that might drift close.  I usually wind up just parking myself fairly close to the node, but a bit below its plane, to avoid getting rammed by the ships warping in.  If Command gives you a warning about getting close to the sentry guns, you're in about the right spot.  Arjuna wing doesn't seem to ever fly close to that area, and I'm free to pick off the ship scans as they warp in.  I can pick off the cargo scans for the bonus objective in-between the earlier waves, or even after one of the freighters has docked if I'm being slow.  As soon as the Eva begins to warp in, start afterburning in the same direction; you'll eventually start to catch up and get close enough for the scan.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Yeah, I always just fly straight to the cargo and scan it; Arjuna never gets close when I do that at top speed. Once I've scanned the cargo, the first wing of ships is in the area and waiting to be scanned, and the others follow pretty soon. I usually stay right with the ships, scanning one wing then making way straight to the next, and I rarely ever get a warning about Arjuna.

With the Eva, just stay under it. Fly towards it as it comes in, and try to stay with it as it passes. When its speed gets down below your own, stay under/behind it and fly with it as you scan it.

Scan the Lucifer as it passes by you, and stay behind it as the scan finishes. Unfortunately you can't avoid what happens next; stay near the Lucifer and a wing will fly out and detect you. You're not faster than either of them, so just keep dodging until your jump drive comes back online, at which point fly through the swarm of fighters so they have to turn around to face you, and jump out. By the time they start shooting again you should be in the jump vortex.

IMO they should have called this mission "Playing Jonah" instead
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
or just abandon FS1 and move on to the superior FS2  :nervous:
trollololo
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i've never once been detected in this mission.  all you have to do is fly straight to the cargo, then park at the node and scan ships as they come in.  follow them for as long as necessary to complete scans, then 180 back to the node and wait for the next.
I like to stare at the sun.

Yup, even on insane, breezey mission.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SvJYm3BTxU
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
In FS2, do you still ghost through EVA and the Lucy due to their entry speed?

I played the port pretty recently but didn't try it out.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i must have.  never noticed a difference there between port and retail.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
really, there's no cheats for it?

Spoiler:
Hold down ~ + K after typing www.freespace2.com?

In FS2, do you still ghost through EVA and the Lucy due to their entry speed?

I played the port pretty recently but didn't try it out.

In FSPort? You still do when I tried it last year.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
It's a dumb mission.

Heresy!

IMHO this is one of the more memorable (and fun) missions of the original FS1 campaign.

I never have any problems with it either. Just get to the node, then only fly straight towards or away from it. Imagine a cylinder extending from the node to the destination of all of the capships that jump in. They all stay inside this tube, and Arjuna wing flies around the outside of it. Stay in the middle of the cylinder and you'll be fine.