Author Topic: Dimensional Eclipse Discussion Thread (original release thread)  (Read 153115 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: RELEASE: 次元のエクリプス - Dimensional Eclipse
Well, hi forums.

I currently use a Mac OSX computer, so I'm unable to use the 8688 or 8670 builds posted on the OP. Could somebody please help by compiling an OSX version?

I want this awesome mod!  ;)

I'm not entirely familiar with how to compile non-windows builds, unfortunately, so I can't really help.
Best I could do is go to #scp on irc.esper.net and beg for someone to compile one for me. You could probably do the same and it'd save a step of waiting for me to get to it. :P

Unfortunately there is not much I can do - a critical armor.tbl upgrade that is required for the mod didn't make it into the 3.6.14 RCs. So, it's either that, or just to wait for this thrice-damned RC cycle to finally finish (it's been going on for way too long now) so I can just point to a nightly build. >.>
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Well, hi forums.

I currently use a Mac OSX computer, so I'm unable to use the 8688 or 8670 builds posted on the OP. Could somebody please help by compiling an OSX version?

I'm not entirely familiar with how to compile non-windows builds, unfortunately, so I can't really help.
Best I could do is go to #scp on irc.esper.net and beg for someone to compile one for me. You could probably do the same and it'd save a step of waiting for me to get to it. :P

Unfortunately there is not much I can do - a critical armor.tbl upgrade that is required for the mod didn't make it into the 3.6.14 RCs. So, it's either that, or just to wait for this thrice-damned RC cycle to finally finish (it's been going on for way too long now) so I can just point to a nightly build. >.>

Non-windows builds are easily done by compiling source code on the appropriate OS... I think some IDE's such as code::blocks allows you to compile a build for different OS's, but I'm not sure.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Droid803

Well, hi forums.

Non-windows builds are easily done by compiling source code on the appropriate OS... I think some IDE's such as code::blocks allows you to compile a build for different OS's, but I'm not sure.

Oh well, then uh, I can't compile non-windows builds (unless visual c++ 2010 express can do that but I doubt it since its by Microsoft - why would they? :P).
(´・ω・`)

I do in fact have a Windows computer, but FS2 is on my mac because I can't use my windows for gaming. That is, I don't have permission because it's not really mine. Also, that suggestion about upgrading to my own windows computer... grapp that maulk. That's never a valid suggestion, especially not for a game. Unlike SOME people I like Mac OSX.

I have no idea how to compile a build, and I have no idea what source code to use as the nightly builds forum ends at 8090 or something. I can't bootcamp because I don't have the memory space for it and then I would have to install FS2 again... double the memory usage. On the other hand, I DO have a copy of Crossover Games; can I take the windows build and port to mac with that, or is that just not possible?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I think using crossover to run the windows build has a decent chance of working.  I've used wine to run WCS:DD on Linux.

Another idea would be to grab the Diaspora OSX build, it *may* work with DE as it's a recent (mostly) trunk build. 
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Well, hi forums.

Oh well, then uh, I can't compile non-windows builds (unless visual c++ 2010 express can do that but I doubt it since its by Microsoft - why would they? :P).

There's numerous freeware IDE's out there that use the GNU C/C++ compiler, code::blocks is only one of them. Additionally, you can "go pro" and use the compilers directly, but I seriously wouldn't recommend that to anybody who's never used the command prompt/DOS console ever before.
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I can't bootcamp because I don't have the memory space for it and then I would have to install FS2 again... double the memory usage.

Le what??

You mean hard disk space, right?  Boot Camp is dual-booting, your system memory (RAM) is either used 100% for Mac OSX, or, if you choose to boot into Windows for that session, 100% for Windows. 

OK, basic memory lesson time:

Memory can be described as a desk with filing cabinet drawers in it.  There are two types of memory.  One is RAM, Random Access Memory.  This would be like the top of the desk.  The more memory you have, the bigger the size of the table, the more pieces of paper (programs, documents, OS running all this) you can have on the desk at once.  Got that?

Now, there's a problem: 1) desk top memory (RAM) is expensive.  Also, it has the nasty habit of not holding information without power (you could say, your teacher makes you clear your desk before leaving, and if you don't, she throws everything on your desk in the shredder)

So: There's a second type of memory: your hard disk drive.  This could be compared to the drawers in your desk.  You can put many more pieces of paper (programs, documents, OS) in the drawers.  They also have the benefit of not erasing when there is no power.  It's also cheaper than RAM.  However, the downfall is, it's too slow to read from and write to paper that is stored in the drawers (can you imagine trying that?) so, you take the paper out and put it on the desk top to modify.

If you run out of room on the desk top, you can even use a swap space / pagefile, which would be like an empty drawer that is reserved for if you run out of room on the desk top, then you can start putting pages that you're not working on at the moment into that drawer temporarily, where they can be accessed more quickly than if you filed them away in their proper place.

With Boot Camp, if you choose to load Windows, Windows gets control of the desk top and Windows' section of the drawers (your hard disk).  If you choose to load Mac OSX, Mac OSX gets control of the desk top and it's section of the hard disk.

What you are thinking of (shared memory access by two OSes) would be if you were running the software Parallels, which lets you have both Mac OSX and Windows running at the same time.  Boot Camp does not do that, and is simply a method whereby you may dual boot either Windows OR Mac OSX at start.

Additionally, you can "go pro" and use the compilers directly, but I seriously wouldn't recommend that to anybody who's never used the command prompt/DOS console ever before.

It's called Terminal on *nix-based OSes, you heathen!  :mad:  Ah well, I guess if you wish for a cross-platform name, you may use the term "CLI / Command Line Interface".  :P  :lol:

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam

Additionally, you can "go pro" and use the compilers directly, but I seriously wouldn't recommend that to anybody who's never used the command prompt/DOS console ever before.

It's called Terminal on *nix-based OSes, you heathen!  :mad:  Ah well, I guess if you wish for a cross-platform name, you may use the term "CLI / Command Line Interface".  :P  :lol:

Yes that's exactly what I meant (I don't have a *nix-based system yet)
chief1983

------------

Ah, thanks for the info on bootcamping. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of Windows 7, and yeah, my hard disk storage is something like 5 GB right now.

The idea of using the Diaspora Mac build is a good one, but unfortunately it gives me 14 errors when opening, and won't load S_hornet.pof when starting the first mission.

I've attached a debug log; is this the problem of mod download or the build?

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
It's failing an assertion for Exarchy shield ship hits, and there's a lot of things it's listing as "deprecated"... so I'm guessing it might be a media_vps issue or file corruption somewhere.
chief1983

------------

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Well DUH. His log shows he doesn't have the MVPs installed at all. What the derp.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Well DUH. His log shows he doesn't have the MVPs installed at all. What the derp.

Ah yes, that could be the problem. Silly me  :p
chief1983

------------

Offline Droid803

The DEPRECATED stuff is submodel animations and someone stealthily deciding to change how they were named (why in the name of god was that necessary I have no idea) without telling anyone except the debugger.
(´・ω・`)

Uh, my wxlauncher settings say that I have MediaVPs 3.6.12 installed. Should I be using something else? Or is a file corruption issue with the Dimensional Eclipse mod files?

Offline Droid803

Check the path you installed it in. DE's mod.ini looks for it in mediavps_3612

Either edit the mod.ini or rename the folder your mediavps is in to that (recommended, so you don't have to edit others)
(´・ω・`)

Huh.

The pathing of my folder is correct, and my mod extension looks like this: -mod DE,mediavps_3612
The mod.ini looks for it there, amirite?

What's going wrong?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Make sure you don't have a typo in your mvps folder name.

Could you post a screenshot of your Freespace folder ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Okay
Shouldn't need to see much more.

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Why do you have the Diaspora exe's on the same folder as FS stuff?

Just to be sure, you should not install Diaspora on the same folder as FS, they go separated.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Also, what's Zatharas and TBP doing in here?