Author Topic: Are you having trouble with a bug?  (Read 17518 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Are you having trouble with a bug?
Also, for those of you unaware, you may see some strange terms being used in some error reports, ie. CTD and BSoD.

A CTD is a Crash To Desktop. This is where no error is generated, the game just immediately returns you to the desktop.

A BSoD is the Dreaded 'Blue Screen of Death', anyone with Win9x will know this old chestnut well ;)

Just to clear up any confusion :)

Offline Inquisitor

WM is my hero.
No signature.

Hrm... OK, how can I tell if something is a bug with the SCP, or a bug with someone's mission module?

In this case, after having the program work just fine for quite a while, I tried to enter a game on FS2Net... and promptly was bombarded by errors, after which the program crashed.  The errors *appeared* to be in a scripting language, but I'm neither a programmer nor a modder and so can't tell for certain.  I tried running with a different build, and got the same errors.

Is this the sort of thing I should drop into Mantis, or should I contact the mission creator (Cetanu) directly, or both?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
This sounds like a program problem. Mission errors tend to be far less... explosive ;)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
:nod: Mantis it, along with the build.

(Make sure you've tried my 7/12 build first though)
-C

Offline Cetanu

• http://165thbdhr.com/
Originally posted by LazarusLong42
Hrm... OK, how can I tell if something is a bug with the SCP, or a bug with someone's mission module?
Is this the sort of thing I should drop into Mantis, or should I contact the mission creator (Cetanu) directly, or both?

Well, ALL of my missions ran pretty stable in vanilla FS2 - that was tested by a lot of people with a lot of different computers

so... any crashes to desktop are not my missions fault *oath*
Work is the curse of the drinking class
Keeper of BDHR's Holy Grail of Beer

Valid PXO/F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Additional valid F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Voicefiles for these missions - mirrors: 1,2

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
i can vouch for cetanus mission credability
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Any PXO player can, they're all fine stuff.

Are you going to make anything new? All those fresh, new SEXPS to play with?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Cetanu

• http://165thbdhr.com/
Originally posted by Cetanu
I guess I would have more interest in creating new missions if I could play them at all ;)

from over there: Request: Old Engine Client
Work is the curse of the drinking class
Keeper of BDHR's Holy Grail of Beer

Valid PXO/F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Additional valid F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Voicefiles for these missions - mirrors: 1,2

I thought that was probably the case, but I wasn't certain.  WM, I'll try that build (I tried both base 3.6, and Kazan's 09 July build), but I'll need a co-conspirator to reproduce the error, because I was, at the time, trying to join someone else's game.  Could someone be available between, say, 2200 and 0000 tonight?  (Closer to 2200 would probably be better).

The mission in question is CET_M03.FS2, "Breaking the Seal"

(edited because I can never remember from one board to the next how to add a link)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
WMC's C_12072004 is the latest build
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

And I've now tried that build, and got the same problem.  ANd it's in Mantis now :)

Offline Inquisitor

Added anon credentials to the post.
No signature.

Re: Are you having trouble with a bug?
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Look before you leap - make sure there isn't a similar bug before you post a new one.

Can I make a suggestion?  A list of the unresolved but better-known (and hence likely to be over-reported) bugs might be helpful to those trying to make accurate reports.  Off the top of my head:

(1) Problems with getting into games on FS2Net;
(2) Problems switching to the desktop with Alt-Tab.

There are likely more that I don't know about.  Just a thought.

Offline Inquisitor

In an ideal world, sorting mantis by priority would give us that.
No signature.

No need to be sarcastic.  Y'see...

In an ideal world, every noob who went to post a bug on Mantis would think to do exactly that.

But in an ideal world, everyone who found a bug would go immediately post it on Mantis, and we wouldn't need a post on these forums saying, essentially, "Please don't post your bugs here."

This isn't an ideal world, unfortunately, or I'd be teleporting to work right about now instead of having to commute. :)

Offline Inquisitor

I wasn't :)

We (as in the SCP)  have to get better at sorting the priority.  That way we can readily answer your questions ;)

Everyone submits bugs as "Critical" so, it's work to sort thru them :)

We're getting better at it though.

What we won't do, is make another page that lists the bugs. That is what mantis is for :)

Please note the liberal use of smilies :)
No signature.

Oops... my bad :)  I took it as, "In an ideal world, you would have noticed that you could sort by priority."  I don't know if Mantis can do it, but one thing that might help would be to have sorted by priority be the default view... even if, as of yet, the priority sorting isn't perfect. :)

Offline Inquisitor

I'll use more smilies in the future :)
No signature.

Offline Kie99

When  play any mission in fso 3.6 it always freezes up for about half an hour then playa for 5 minutes normally and freezes up again, this happens no matter which mission i am using.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"