Author Topic: What should the GTVA's strategy be?  (Read 165987 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: What should the GTVA's strategy be?
So, summing up your entire post: as long as situations had been diametrically opposite what they actually were when the portal was re-opened, blah blah blah could have happened.

Offline Drogoth

So, summing up your entire post: as long as situations had been diametrically opposite what they actually were when the portal was re-opened, blah blah blah could have happened.

It's important to emphasize how much of a pack of sissy losers the UEF is.

Tev4Lyfe
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline CT27

Wouldn't happen. The very point of the war is for the Tevs to get their hand on Sol's industrial and logistical power, which is roughly equivalent to the Terran half of the GTVA as a whole (probably a bit less now that several shipyards and logistical bases have been nuked, but still). Plus, they've been promising their citizens they'll be able to go to Earth and reunite their families, first for after the activation of the portal, and then for after the end of the war.

They'll need and they'll want a solid military presence in Sol. Politically, and economically, they can't afford to let a single bit of independence to Sol. Officially, Sol is already a GTVA territory under the occupation of the enemy (they justify it by saying Sol was a GTA territory and the GTVA considers itself the legitimate successor of the GTA, and is supposed to get all the former GTA territories per the BETAC, but of course what they really care about is the PR side and the economical and industrial power).

War aims can change though can't they?

In real life, the US demanded total unconditional surrender from Japan in WW2, but the surrender ended up being more 'conditional' in reality didn't it?  If casualties continue to mount, the GTVA may be more willing to only get 80% or so of what they want.

Offline CT27

Tev4Lyfe

Now now, let's tone down the playground talk a bit.  We want to bring the UEF supporters over to our side right (or at least convince BP makers that a GTVA win wouldn't be bad right? ;)

Offline -Norbert-

War aims can change though can't they?

In real life, the US demanded total unconditional surrender from Japan in WW2, but the surrender ended up being more 'conditional' in reality didn't it?  If casualties continue to mount, the GTVA may be more willing to only get 80% or so of what they want.
They want to make sure the Ubuntu ideology doesn't spread into the GTVA. Either they prevent it, or they don't, there can't be a middle ground. They can't let 20% of the ideology spread.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
If that is the case, then surely the only way to prevent cultural contamination is to commit genocide on the inhabitants of Sol. Idealogy can't be halted with laws, only by destroying all traces of it.

Without the complete removal of every person with knowlege of the Ubunto idealogy, it will spread.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Tev4Lyfe

Now now, let's tone down the playground talk a bit.  We want to bring the UEF supporters over to our side right (or at least convince BP makers that a GTVA win wouldn't be bad right? ;)

Everything is written out to the end of BP3, very little convincing can be done

Offline Aesaar

I know! Broadcast videos from the Second Incursion.  Everywhere.  Show the UEF population: "THIS is what's out there, and you live in a pacifist state.  We can protect you better than your Council of Elders.  Just look at how easily we're beating you.  You really think you can take on the Shivans?"

Actually, they're probably already doing that.

Offline CT27

Tev4Lyfe

Everything is written out to the end of BP3, very little convincing can be done

I know, I was just kind of kidding around.

I know! Broadcast videos from the Second Incursion.  Everywhere.  Show the UEF population: "THIS is what's out there, and you live in a pacifist state.  We can protect you better than your Council of Elders.  Just look at how easily we're beating you.  You really think you can take on the Shivans?"

Actually, they're probably already doing that.

As I recall, the GTVA got their asses handed to them during the Second Shivan Incursion.

Offline Aesaar

As I recall, the GTVA got their asses handed to them during the Second Shivan Incursion.

They did.  They're also beating the UEF handily.  So how would the UEF do?

I suspect they'd do just fine so long as nobody builds the Shivans a handy bridge to get into their system.

Offline Aesaar

I suspect they'd do just fine so long as nobody builds the Shivans a handy bridge to get into their system.
Who's to say the Shivans couldn't have done it themselves?  Haven't they shown the ability to use nodes that no one else could before?

I can't recall, but wasn't there a really unstable jump node from Sol to Deneb?

But yes, chances are that if the GTVA hadn't come back to Sol, the UEF wouldn't be threatened by the Shivans.  But that's irrelevant, because they did come back.  The UEF's been forced back into the galactic community, and now they have to contend with the Shivan threat like everyone else.  And they're just not ready to do that.

note: If I appear to sound patronising, that really isn't my intention

Offline qwadtep

If memory serves there were two phasing jump nodes to Sol that were cut off as well.

In fairness, the Lucifer is the toughest enemy Sol ever had to face, and a Narayana thrashes it like nothing in the Tev arsenal.

Offline Aesaar

Er, what?  If the Narayana's in HRed range, the Lucifer butchers it so fast it's not funny.  Even if the Narayana's out of range, a Lucifer will still live long enough to get close and kill it, just because those two side LReds can't be hit by railguns while it's closing, and it has a freakish 800 000 hitpoints.  And all this assumes railguns and Apocalypses could even get through the shields (I lean towards no for the railguns, but yes for the torpedoes).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:02:54 am by Aesaar »

Offline Qent

It's not certain what effect UEF weapons would have had on its shield, if any.

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
Er, what?  If the Narayana's in HRed range, the Lucifer butchers it so fast it's not funny.  Even if the Narayana's out of range, a Lucifer will still live long enough to get close and kill it, just because those two side LReds can't be hit by railguns while it's closing, and it has a freakish 800 000 hitpoints.  And all this assumes railguns and Apocalypses could even get through the shields (I lean towards no for the railguns, but yes for the torpedoes).
Well, Narayana usually don't attack alone.
And they will never attack such a big target like Lucy alone. For example, Calder sent a pair of Narayanas to destroy the Atreus.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline qwadtep

The Lucy also has a speed of only 15m/s. At maximum range, a Narayana has seven minutes to disable the HReds and another five before the LReds can be brought to bear. Try it out in FRED; the poor Shivans get pecked to death.

Of course, it's a moot point since the Narayana didn't get its artillery upgrade until the GTVA invasion and the Lucy would undoubtedly jump away and repair like it did against the Orestes, and battles in BP are decided by plot armor and not specs, but it makes a decent demonstration of why the GTVA hasn't been able to capture Sol for 18+ months.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The Shivans are also much better than they actually appear in BP. (The Shivan ships appear to operate at less than half of their true capabilities or something or other)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Also, neither the Tevs nor the Shivans would be stupid enough to just try to close 12 km "on foot". The Shivans would just send waves of bombers or warships to flank the Nara, the Tevs would just send a pop-up Trebuchet strike to bring down its guns and missile launchers.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras