Author Topic: What should the GTVA's strategy be?  (Read 167026 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: What should the GTVA's strategy be?
I think it's primarily a tactical consideration, to be honest. It doesn't put more ships in more places.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
WIth the news in the other thread that Solarises now have improved mass drivers...
The Toutatis. Not Solarises plural.

Nothing says the two other didn't follow the same treatment, but nothing says they did either.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Very little. The mass drivers might give the Toutatis extra flexibility in a couple rather narrow cases, but unless its torpedoes got an upgrade, it only has a fraction of the Narayana's long-range firepower. Deploying it in a long-range role would be a waste of a powerful asset.

Offline qwadtep

So just jump in a Narayana or two beside it and let them all bombard away from within the Toutatis' cozy Torpedo/Flak blanket. It's not like Calder's so stupid as to try to take back Artemis Station on his own.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
That's half of what's left of 3rd fleet right there. It'd have to literally be taking down the Atreus or some other equally important asset to warrant such a concentration of firepower.

What's 3rd fleet's role now anyway? Do they protect the belt or are they on standby to counter Tev raids?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Closer to option number 2. They collaborate very closely with 2nd Fleet to slow the Tev advance as much as they can. They're not really on "standby", they actively participate to fleet operations. After all, half the Wargods were 3rd fleet, and we know the Toutatis was engaged in offensive operations at least twice, during Aristeia and during Delenda Est.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline crizza

I wonder what Steeles doing right after DE.
We know that almost every Fed asset of second and third fleet was engaged with the Tevs.
Thanks to Mat, we know that the big T is in drydock...
The Feds could be reeling from this blow, but has Steele the options to go for the throat?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The Tevs are probably licking their wounds from the all-out diversionary attack that occured during Delenda Est. Furthermore, they were still in the process of repairing/rearming/resuplying since the Blitz of Darkest Hour. And the Imperieuse, after hiding for so long without proper support, is probably in a more-or-less critical state of disrepair and could probably use that trip to Delta Serpentis she was supposed to do to begin with.

Steele knows the feds are on their last legs, but he wants to finish the war as quickly as possible, so the GTVA can focus on the real threat out there. He'll go for the throat all right, but he'll need a bit more of preparation yet for that.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Yeah DE effectively neutered the Carthage and its battlegroup as a fighting force. Steele will need to take a defensive posture, at least temporarily. Maybe enough time for Le Fedayeen to strike?

Offline crizza

I highly doubt, that every Tev asset was engaged, the big ones for sure, but Steele will have something avaiable to counter any move by the Feds, I mean, he laid the trap the Feds so willingly sprung.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!

Probably smirking as he looks out his window at the stars and sips some space-scotch. :pimp:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Probably smirking as he looks out his window at the stars and sips some space-scotch. :pimp:

Quite probably while doing a monologue about philosophy.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Look out, we've got a bad-ass here.

Offline CT27

In terms of who wins, is it possible that a final settlement could be reached like that which happened in the Inferno campaign (IE Earth keeps de jure independence but the GTVA gets to maintain a heavy presence in system)?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
No.  Unbuntu as an ideal cannot be allowed (by the Security Council) to propagate to GTVA space.  Period.  That means the complete and total dismantling of the Ubuntu (and therefore current Sol) government.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
how exactly do you dismantle an ideology short of exterminating everyone who subscribes to it?
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
how exactly do you dismantle an ideology short of exterminating everyone who subscribes to it?

This is a really quick and clumsy example, but the US had de-Nazification and de-Baathification programs in Germany and Iraq respectively. Japan also underwent a major ideological restructuring post-war.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent

Intense reindoctrination, the likes you don't see outside North Korea.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Finding the ideologues and locking them up is a good start. Exploit public resentment over the war and its loss to help discredit them along the way. Bring in new people who will help to represent your interests.

It's been done before with reasonable effectiveness.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Why dont they just threaten orbital nuking...? Its way easier.... Just have a raynor in orbit, and BAMM! Earth's at your feet.... :D
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun