Author Topic: Mass Effect 3  (Read 118046 times)

Ground-based Reapers? Joint operations with Fleets? Legion driving a tank that looks like a knockoff Wraith?

The Want is like a physical force around me.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I can haz?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Luis Dias

"We need a plan to defeat them"

"We fight or we die, that's the plan!"

Can't wait :D

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
that's a stupid plan :colbert:

I dunno, this looked okay. I'm trying to stay wary so I can be impressed.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
that's a stupid plan :colbert:

I dunno, this looked okay. I'm trying to stay wary so I can be impressed.

I'm optimistic, I mean given the potential of the game they would seriously have to try hard to totally screw it up.
  • The gameplay is basically going to be refined ME2 since its based off the PS3 engine, so I wager it'll be at least just as solid as ME2's
  • The info we have been told indicates some more RPG elements have been added back in so thumbs up
  • The gameplay footage looks pretty solid and the refinements have sped things up a bit
  • Clint ****ing Mansell and Dice added to the Audio team
  • It's the book end of the series so the story options don't need to be shoehorned into fitting a follow on, so I tend to expect some pretty divergent storylines depending on your choices
  • There where too many interesting hooks and setups in the previous two games for them to all pan out poorly, the major concern is whether or not the defeat of the Reapers will be hamfisted or not
  • As controversial as DA2 is most things I read indicated the characters and were still up to Bioware standards so I can't imagine they could screw that part up

Sure it's possible for them to miss the mark at being the greatest game of all time, especially with the expectations that will be riding on it, but epically screw the pooch?  I'd be surprised.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I agree, I just want to manage my expectations because inevitably a couple things go wrong and I don't want to be sperging about them for the next ten years like so many Internet denizens.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
...they're talking about reversing the genophage or I'm a dog. Also, they've confirmed we can get the stompy mech thing. \o/

Second video is apparently the opening of the game.

March 6, 2012, mark your calenders children.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Aaahahaha so much of these trailers just makes me cringe (****, man, they had some pretty awesome hard SF **** in this series and now reapers are just gonna land on planets and kick up little plumes of dust with their dainty little lasers) but it's just so coool

ed: and we're giant superintelligent space machines but we can't track individual humans in close proximity and suppress them with all the superadvanced bull**** guns we should have

ed2: and we don't deploy the seeker swarms we're already demonstrated to have into everything everywhere

ed3: and we somehow don't have total air superiority and the ability to track signals and just blow the **** out of the sources

ed4: who's that weird woman on my normandy, she's taking up the usual radioactive dust berth

but it's still so coool
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:55:47 pm by General Battuta »

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I think, at that point, it's an open question if the Reapers really care about Shepard anymore at all. We've passed the point at which one man might have much of an effect on their operations. They're landing on Earth, in force, and stopping them may not even be on the table since we have no idea how it'll be accomplished.

They may even want him to run away, as a psy-op tactic.

A Feddie Story

Offline mxlm

We've passed the point at which one man might have much of an effect on their operations.

Clearly not.

Well, I dunno, they might go for a downer ending or a new status quo in which WE ARE ALL TEH B0NED, and that'd be a nice surprise. It'd also be a first for Bioware.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I liked the part where the Reaper shot the frigate and it blew up with a giant kaboom (because it made no sense at all but was cool)

I think, at that point, it's an open question if the Reapers really care about Shepard anymore at all. We've passed the point at which one man might have much of an effect on their operations. They're landing on Earth, in force, and stopping them may not even be on the table since we have no idea how it'll be accomplished.

They may even want him to run away, as a psy-op tactic.

I dunno if you're gonna bother trying to kill him with your little cannibal dudes, you might as well just seeker swarm/laser/thanix the **** out of the area with one incremental fraction of a percent of your arsenal.

but it doesn't matter, this way is cool

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Clearly not.

We're already talking reversing the genophage. That's a lot more than one man, and would take years to accomplish something meaningful. Earth would be boned by that point regardless.

Shepard may simply happen to be the man on the spot, rather than the only man who could have ever done it.

I liked the part where the Reaper shot the frigate and it blew up with a giant kaboom (because it made no sense at all but was cool)

It was a cruiser, like the ones we saw get whacked at the Citadel (right size, right hull shape), and it's now the Nagasaki because I said so and I like horrific puns.

I dunno if you're gonna bother trying to kill him with your little cannibal dudes, you might as well just seeker swarm/laser/thanix the **** out of the area with one incremental fraction of a percent of your arsenal.

Not clear they were there for Shepard. Might be just there in general. Might be doing the stormtrooper thing and making it look convincing. It's way early to criticize the plot.

A Feddie Story

Offline mxlm

We're already talking reversing the genophage. That's a lot more than one man, and would take years to accomplish something meaningful. Earth would be boned by that point regardless.

Shepard may simply happen to be the man on the spot, rather than the only man who could have ever done it.

Oh, I think I misunderstood you. Nevermind.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We're already talking reversing the genophage. That's a lot more than one man

Well there was that one dude who made some progress on curing it :V:

Not clear they were there for Shepard. Might be just there in general. Might be doing the stormtrooper thing and making it look convincing. It's way early to criticize the plot.

If you're going to kill people a stupid unreliable way when you have a much more reliable way that's silly, but it doesn't matter because I'm not criticizing the plot, I actually don't care. It's silly in a way that doesn't matter, like subluminal lasers in FreeSpace, it's just necessary.

Are we reversing the Genophage or just saving a virile female? One seems like a knee jerk reaction that wont do to much good in any reasonable time frame, the other is being friendly to your neighborhood space frogs, seeing as how such females are a hot commodity and from the sounds of it the Reapers or Cerberus have been doing their damnedest to wipe said commodity out.

Unless I missed a line, I'm fairly certain its the latter.

Aaahahaha so much of these trailers just makes me cringe (****, man, they had some pretty awesome hard SF **** in this series and now reapers are just gonna land on planets and kick up little plumes of dust with their dainty little lasers) but it's just so coool

ed: and we're giant superintelligent space machines but we can't track individual humans in close proximity and suppress them with all the superadvanced bull**** guns we should have

ed2: and we don't deploy the seeker swarms we're already demonstrated to have into everything everywhere

ed3: and we somehow don't have total air superiority and the ability to track signals and just blow the **** out of the sources

ed4: who's that weird woman on my normandy, she's taking up the usual radioactive dust berth

but it's still so coool

You're making the assumption the Reapers are after total genocide like the Shivans. That's not the case. The Reapers *reap*. They're here to harvest organics, the genocide comes after all resistance has been crushed. If it was annihilation the Reapers were after, their war would havce ended a million years ago.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
If it was utter annihilation they were after, judging by the age of the reaper corpse you get the IFF from, they're war would have been over 22+ million years ago.

That not withstanding, this has got my hype meter up.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Veers

Except for the graphical differences, I actually kind of prefer ME1's style of play, even considering how boring the combat could become. It may have something to do with my hatred of the Thermal Clip system and my bizarre, unrequited love of the Mako though.

I still dont quite get it, how moving from a ME1 type weapon (no ammo or thermal clips needed.) to a ME2 type (no ammo, just thermal clips) was a good idea. The last discovery moved Human tech forward 200 years (I'm assuming more so away from bullet/clip loaded weapons to the common weapons in ME1), so now including thermal clip tech, we're going back down the tech tree again. Placing limits on field troops. (In most cases, heat in the ME1 weapons is contollable, and your troops dont need to carry additional equipment to keep the weapon functional)

Other than that lack of explanation for me, ME2 was great. But it didnt have enough customisation as ME1 did (for me anycase). The change in the Galaxy Map was good, but the mineral exploration gets really .... annoying after a while.

I would like to see Conrad Verner again though....
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Luis Dias

Clint Mansell aint' an "addition" to the sound team. He's substituting Jack Wall and his team.