Author Topic: Mass Effect 3  (Read 119044 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm having a giant hole in my brain right now, since I don't recall one single reaper dropship, unless you are pulling my leg with some english semantical joke...

Put it this way: they would be rather stupid not to.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Pretty sure you don't have to hover in orbit home slice

But it's rule of cool, I am cool with it.

I assumed it had to do with their ability to indoc the populace.  Reapers are after all looking to to reap and enslave rather then annihilate.  Otherwise they could just orbitally bombard planets into glass.  I figure getting a bunch of them together dirt side allows them to start mass indocing the populace.

Plus if your a sentient nation/ship stepping on organics like insignificant bugs is probably a way too get your jollies off.

I like this explanation a fair bit. But I would still not put all my Reaper bros on the ground, so I hope they don't do that.

I like this explanation a fair bit. But I would still not put all my Reaper bros on the ground, so I hope they don't do that.

Also this. If they dont at the very least have an orbital vanguard then I'll also call stupid on that. But the mass indoc thing is a good point, StarSlayer.

Don't the Reapers burn Palaven from orbit, now that I think about it? They obviously have no qualms about doing so if they don't want the populace, then.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

I assumed it had to do with their ability to indoc the populace.  Reapers are after all looking to to reap and enslave rather then annihilate.  Otherwise they could just orbitally bombard planets into glass.  I figure getting a bunch of them together dirt side allows them to start mass indocing the populace.

Plus if your a sentient nation/ship stepping on organics like insignificant bugs is probably a way too get your jollies off.

I assume they would still need to maintain sector dominance from any interloping relief forces so keeping a force in space seems logical.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Luis Dias

Specially in the nodes, I mean in the Mass Relays.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Specially in the nodes, I mean in the Mass Relays.

Actually thats an interesting point, since their usual plan would have been to seize the Citadel and thus gain control over the Mass Relay Network.  I assume without the Citadel they can't put the kibosh on inter system travel.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Destroy Earth's relay for ultimate renegade maneuver, wipe out Reapers, eat Carnifex.

EDIT: If they happen to forget that's possible I'm going to be vaguely pissed off.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:26:33 pm by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline Luis Dias

Actually we could see Shepard trying to stop the Batarians of doing just that.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Destroy Earth's relay for ultimate renegade maneuver, wipe out Reapers, eat Carnifex.

EDIT: If they happen to forget that's possible I'm going to be vaguely pissed off.

I actually liked the idea of using the dark energy stuff to pop the Sol System while the majority of the Reaper fleet was tied up on Earth.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny

Yes, we're going to use the GTD Bastion to suicide bomb the relay. :P

The Reapers would be incredibly stupid to leave it with anything less than half a fleets worth of their uber awesome selves for just this reason.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Luis Dias

Also, there's the issue that it is incredibly hard to destroy mass relays. In arrival, it took a mighty asteroid to do it. How can you transport an asteroid of that size with the Reaper's fleet guarding the relay?

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Also, there's the issue that it is incredibly hard to destroy mass relays. In arrival, it took a mighty asteroid to do it. How can you transport an asteroid of that size with the Reaper's fleet guarding the relay?

I'm not saying they'll do it, but I want somebody to at least mention the option.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The yield of an asteroid hitting a mass relay should be a lot smaller than the yield of a good mass accelerator, yeah? c/d with physics please

Offline Luis Dias

I'm not saying that isn't the case, but if it was that simple, wouldn't they have done it that way instead in Arrival?

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The yield of an asteroid hitting a mass relay should be a lot smaller than the yield of a good mass accelerator, yeah? c/d with physics please

We know so little about the construction of the arrays and their behavior that appeals to simple yield are useless. This is space. The arrays don't appear to be entirely connected with solid bits. Blast effect for catastrophic, total destruction of them? Surrre.

A Feddie Story

newman, the eternal overheating stuff was actually a feature in ME1 :lol: (seriously, that bug bugged me a lot!)

NG, no you are not the only person, though I'd classify myself more as "worried" than "annoyed". Jack Wall and his team were awesome, and it's hard to outdo them. Clint has the talent, so let's not be too pessimistic about it.

I am quite sure that was just the effect of 'Sabotage' being applied to you. It should... eventually... go away.

But I always reloaded when it happened during my first playtrough. Can't recall it ever hapening again...

But you are a reasonably intelligent tactical commander. The reapers unjustified confidence in their own abilities affects everything they do. Bit like the clans from Battletech. Only Clan Wolf actually managed to atually achieve significant stuff because they actually took the time to know what they were up against.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 10:12:39 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
But you are a reasonably intelligent tactical commander. The reapers unjustified confidence in their own abilities affects everything they do. Bit like the clans from Battletech. Only Clan Wolf actually managed to atually achieve significant stuff because they actually took the time to know what they were up against.

That explanation is actually kind of why this is a problem. 'No, they really are that stupid' just undermines their weight as an antagonist.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

This would be the most terrible, awful, stupid writing, for the reasons Ransom said.

Also because they are superintelligent machines with the intellects of entire species, they should be able to plot out a tactical situation like you can tie your shoes.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name

Kinetic energy isn't the same as momentum; if you compare two objects with same kinetic energy, the one with bigger mass will have more momentum. *

Of course, considering a mass relay can survive being physically knocked away by a supernova shockwave (Mu Relay), so it does present somewhat of a problem how the asteroid could possibly destroy the Alpha Relay.

* Physics in small font

Assuming non-relativistic speeds:

Ek = ½ m1 v12 = ½ m2 v22

m1 v12 = m2 v22

So, if we assume that mass one (projectile) is one ten billionth of mass two (asteroid), that gives us

m2 = m1 * 10^10

m1 v12 = 10^10 * m1 v22

v12 = 10^10 * v22

v1 = 10^5 * v2

Now if the asteroid's velocity is, let's say 200 m/s, the projectile's velocity would need to be 20000000 m/s, or 20,000 km/s which is about 6.7% of light speed in vacuum.

Now the two objects have the same kinetic energy (or approximately, relativistic effects will be minimal below 0.1c so it's sufficient accuracy).

If we now compare the momentums of the objects:

p1 = m1v1

p2 = m2v2

m2 = m1 * 10^10
v2
= v1 * 10^-5

p2 = m1 * 10^10 * v1 * 10^-5 = m1 v1 * 10^5[/font]

Follows:

p1 = m1v1

p2 = p1 * 10^5

...which means the asteroid with ten billion times the mass of the small projectile, at the velocity that gives them approximately same kinetic energy, has ten thousand times the momentum of the projectile.

Which means, in plaintext, that although both objects have same kinetic energy yield, it is ten thousand times easier to stop the projectile due to its much smaller momentum. QED
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

I don't think the Reapers behave like the clans, necessarily, but I'm sure they're confident enough of their own superiority to come off as aloof in regards to tactical matters. Now granted, if they don't keep an orbital vanguard of any type or camp the Relays of systems they happen to be invading, then thats just stupid. But in regards to the way they act in combat or their seeming willingness, from our perspective, to throw themselves into unnecessary danger, keep in mind that as far as we know, in the entire history if this happening, TWO Reapers have gone down. One was Sovereign, who went stupid at a critical moment, and the other got hit with what was likely a Death Star sized Mass Accelerator, something that I'm fairly confident no one is packing this cycle. I'd say Reaper confidence is justified.

We should also keep in mind that the Reapers kinda had their plan screwed up this time, and likely didn't have an "Uber Awesome Space Baddie" follow up gambit just in case the organics had slightly better defenses and foresight than they intended.  Still kinda lame, but IMO plausible.