Author Topic: Mass Effect 3  (Read 119168 times)

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
He's refering to the annoying Yeoman Kelly Chambers.

On that note, I cannot see how anyone could possibly like Ashley as a character. Makes me wish I had saved Kaidan instead.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You are talking about a man with an utter hatred of Vasudans. Ashley is his soulmate :P
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
You are talking about a man with an utter hatred of Vasudans. Ashley is his soulmate :P

And i would've gotten away with it too were it not for those meddling kids. :D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net

On that note, I cannot see how anyone could possibly like Ashley as a character. Makes me wish I had saved Kaidan instead.

I nuked her. I don't like religious racists. Kaidan is just as whiney in ME2 though, saving him is not much better.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

<3 Ashley.

High five!

I nuked her. I don't like religious racists.

She's not. She is not half as bad as the people who hated every german they saw 30 years after the war. She just does not want to depent on them. It's not racism, its more of an anti-EU stance.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, she isn't so much racist as not really willing to go all "Aliens, YEAH!", or simply accept the council as a benevolent entity.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Am I the only one who thought Ashley and Kaidan are the most boring characters in the two games to date, notwithstanding Shepard him[her]self?  :nod:

Seriously, I would have liked to leave both their asses on Virmire.  Instead, I kept Ashley, since she at least was easy on the eyes and didn't duplicate my Vanguard's abilities.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's a rule. The first two companions you get are the most boring, baseline individuals you can find.

Offline Luis Dias

Ah!, well Miranda isn't boring.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Prepare for a short essay about Virmire Incident...

Since I don't really give a toss about either Ashley or Kaidan, I approach the Virmire situation from a military perspective to make my decision.

1. To decide who to send with the STG to act as a liaison between Captain Kirrahe and Commander Shepard and possibly offer help in leading the Salarian Task Group team, the options are:
-an experienced Staff Lieutenant with training in leadership (he's a commissioned officer), tactics, biotics and technology
-a Gunnery Chief (Non-Commissioned Officer) recruited to the team from an otherwise destroyed unit originally stationed on Eden Prime

The Salarians don't need another soldier, they need someone to manage the co-operation between the STG diversion group and Shepard. Kaidan gets the job. Ashley doesn't have much to offer in this job compared to Kaidan.

Therefore, I will assume that Kaidan is the "right" choice to co-lead the STG team, and Ashley's position will be with the nuke.

2. This automatically means that Ashley will be delegated to the job of arming the McGyvered nuclear device.

3. After the nuke has been armed, STG and Kaidan call in for assistance. Shepard and his team responds, departing the bomb site to head for the AA-tower to aid the Salarians and Staff Lieutenant Alenko. The decision point appears as they are already a good way from the bomb site, after Shepard had already made a decision to go assist Kaidan and the remaining STG.

Now, technically at this point Shepard has arguably already made a mistake - leaving the bomb site with insufficient force projection to secure it. Unfortunately this puts the player into a position where they have to make the most out of a bad situation. The options are not actually to make a choice between Kaidan and Ashley; the options are as follows:

-ensure the successful detonation of the jury-rigged nuclear device, or
-risk the bomb site protection in Ashley's (dubiously) capable hands in favour of saving the STG team and Kaidan at the AA-tower.

The former is more mission-critical, while the latter can result in more lives saved.

Personally, I consider Shepard's split-second decision to head for AA-tower a tactical mistake, but after s/he has done it, one must consider the fact that second-guessing or indecisiveness on the battlefield is one thing that'll get you or your team killed more likely than anything else you could do (or not do). Typically, doing anything is better than doing nothing. Staying on the move is preferable to staying put, and after a decision has been made, it's usually best to follow it through rather than change your mind en route to return to earlier position.

Hence, I usually consider that Shepard made his or her decision when s/he left the bomb site for Ashley's protection, and therefore logically s/he should follow through with that decision, go to AA tower, and be done with the mission.

Also, because of shameless exploiting of game mechanics, the bomb will explode either way, so I usually go for the AA tower in order to save more lives (there is also a role playing element here; my character is typically a Paragon, so that would likely be the way my Shepard would think).

From this standpoint, it's clear that Ashley is the character that should get nuked as the "default" option.

This deductive process may or may not be influenced by the fact that I don't like Ashley's character even as much as I like Kaidan; at least he has Carth's voice to amuse me, while Ashley is like a living Bible Belt standing in the Cargo Bay (plus I don't have any use for her on any missions after Eden Prime, as typically my Shepard has enough combat prowess that I don't need a full soldier in my team - either my Shepard is a soldier and team is Shepard/Liara/Tali, or my Shepard is an infiltrator and team becomes Shepard/Garrus/Liara, which usually works pretty well.

It is a mystery to me why Shepard didn't secure the bomb site him/herself with the present team, and send the remaining ground team to the AA-tower. But that's one of the game mechanics that just have to be accepted, I guess - like the fact that Ashley won't fail to protect the bomb in any case so any risk about the mission being compromised is convenient nonexistent to gear the "decision" toward a character preference based choice.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
See I figured the technical expertise of Alenko was more important in jury rigging the bomb.  That and I don't particularly dislike people based on their faith :P
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
See I figured the technical expertise of Alenko was more important in jury rigging the bomb.  That and I don't particularly dislike people based on their faith :P

Fair enough, although I figure Ashley's job is mostly just guarding the thing - the Salarians already took care of MacGyvering it into working order. :nod:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

I nuked her. I don't like religious racists. Kaidan is just as whiney in ME2 though, saving him is not much better.

Wut?

Ashely is not racist. Not a speecist ofr that matter (I think that's the term you were looking or bub).

Do you even pay attention to what companions say?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
-ensure the successful detonation of the jury-rigged nuclear device, or
-risk the bomb site protection in Ashley's (dubiously) capable hands in favour of saving the STG team and Kaidan at the AA-tower.

The former is more mission-critical, while the latter can result in more lives saved.

If it's mission critical, then it makes more sense to ensure mission success.

Staying on the move is preferable to staying put, and after a decision has been made, it's usually best to follow it through rather than change your mind en route to return to earlier position.

Usually best does not equal always best.

This deductive process may or may not be influenced by the fact that I don't like Ashley's character even as much as I like Kaidan; at least he has Carth's voice to amuse me, while Ashley is like a living Bible Belt standing in the Cargo Bay

What's with all the religious hate?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Ashley defence force EVERYWHERE.

I actually nuked her because she went with the STG team to the tower. I was going to be damned if someone died and the nuke didn't go off, so I made sure someone died for a reason. I protected the nuke.

Then I learned that ME doesn't let big mistakes happen. Oh well, it's a video game.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Herra's logic is slightly off; Ash is a gunny, according to the ranking structure in the codex a platoon sergeant, and given that the Alliance appears to practice commissioning officers directly from civilian life still, probably more experienced and hence capable than many lieutenants.

As a platoon sergeant in a force that emphasizes individual initiative and combined arms, and as a garrison trooper in a force whose garrison doctrine is "go to ground, maneuver independently at the squad level to avoid getting smashed, and spot targets for the incoming relief fleet", it is facetious to suggest she lacks the skills to assist in coordinating between the teams. She would require them to fulfill the function you found her serving in.

Kaidan is arguably overqualified at his rank of Staff Lieutenant, and without knowing where that fits into the Alliance's command structure and what Kaidan's MVC/service experience are we really don't know what his skills are. It seems unlikely he's been a platoon commander considering the specialization of his skills as a biotic and his technical proficiencies; the fact he was chairing Normandy's helm with Joker in the beginning of the game almosts suggests he's fleet rather than Marine, so it could really go either way.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:21:39 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Ash has also been delebiretely kept a gunny by the senior staff due to her family being 'blacklisted'. Her rank does not match up with her capabilities in the field.