Author Topic: Bug/TechProblem: Couldn`t open..  (Read 2973 times)

Offline Nimiria

Bug/TechProblem: Couldn`t open..
Hi there,

I tried to play FS2 with the FS Open (3.6.9), but when I start and want to play, the game always crashes. I installed it complete new, loaded the Fresspace Open new from the internet, but still the same.

When I start the Debug, it instantly sends me back to windows with one problem after another. Here is an example:

Warning: Couldn't open texture 'Subach_Bitmap'
referenced by weapon 'Subach HL-7'

File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\Weapon\Weapons.cpp
Line: 2145
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    parse_weaponstbl()    weapon_init()    game_init()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816fd7()

I have no Idea what that means (I come from Germany so all this is very strange to me ;)). I will atach the Errorlog , too. Perhaps this helps.

In the 2nd attached file are more from the reports of the debug mode, if needed (seems that they are endless :/)

The "OpenALwEAX" is installed, of course.

I hope this can be solved :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Bug/TechProblem: Couldn`t open..
Do you by any chance have mv_adveffects.vp but not mv_effects.vp? That would be my guess as to the cause.

It's definitely a problem with your media VPs. Run the debug build instead and post your fs.log file as that's the one that will actually tell me what the cause is.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nimiria

I have now the following VPs in  "mediavps" : mv_textures.vp, mv_music.vp, mv_models.vp, mv_effects.vp, mv_core.vp, mp-710_models.vp, mp-710_effects.vp. No more.

I had downloaded some of them just now, but still in debug mode the same problems :

Warning: Couldn't open texture 'Prometheus_Bitmap'
referenced by weapon 'Prometheus D'

Line: 2145
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
    parse_weaponstbl()    weapon_init()    game_init()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816fd7()

And so on.

What is meant with Debug build? I have only the "fs2_open_3_6_9_debug", no more, and this only shows one error message after another.

There is no fs.log, only a fs2_open. I will attach it , perhaps it helps.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Get rid of the Derelict and Lightning marshal VPs in your main folder and try it again.

Offline Nimiria

I did that, and now there is another "problem"...

Warning: Couldn't open paticle texture 'Yellow_glow'
referenced by weapon 'Standard Flak'

Line: 3180

Call stack:
    parse_weaponstbl()    parse_modular_table()    weapon_init()    game_init()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816fd7()

I have this Special version of Freespace 2, that includes the templar campaign, with 3 CDs, so is there still something to remove?

I have now in the main directory the following VPs: root_fs2.vp, smarty_fs2.vp, sparky_fs2.vp, sparky_hi_fs2.vp, stu_fs2.vp, tango1_fs2.vp, tango2_fs2.vp, tango3_fs2.vp, warble_fs2.vp.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Are you using the mediavps?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Nimiria

I used them all the time. Something went badly wrong till now. I renamed the "data" folder to "data old" and just moved player and freddocs to the new "data", and then it worked. Perhaps this templar bonus campaign was the problem, I do not know. Now it runs :)

Some nice effects it has, I just hope it will run now :)

Are there good campaigns for the open FS2?  :)

Edit: It worked yesterday, now the same problem :/

Call stack:
    parse_weaponstbl()    parse_modular_table()    weapon_init()    game_init()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816fd7()
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 02:36:52 am by Nimiria »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
IIRC that error is caused by running the 3.6.7 VPs with the 3.6.8 patches. Make sure you got your media VPs from here.

I'm also pretty sure that this issue is only complained about by the debug build and just results in minor ugliness if you run a non-debug build.

Offline Nimiria

I took the VPs already from there.
The game crashes several times, for example when I tried to look at ships at the technical database.

Now I removed everything that did not belong to the "original" game, means I removed even the bonus templar Campaign, now it runs without errors again oO

Are there campaigns that run with the new fs2 open?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Doh! I know what's causing this one.

Stick the media VPs back in the mediavps folder and in the launcher turn on JPG/TGA textures. There are quite a few settings you may also want to turn on in there too.

If you're deleted the media VPs rather than moving them don't waste your time redownloading them. Just use Turey's installer as that will probably do a better job of setting everything up correctly for you than you'll do if you try doing things manually. 

Offline Nimiria

The Mediavps are still in the mediavp folder :) They now work, as I have nothing more then the original campaign.

The installer is, sorry, not my first choice. I used this at first, and it took more then 8 hours to download the files with it, and then I had the problems there first time ;/

After this I downloaded them directly here..

So now it seems that it runs.

But now I have nothing left except the original campaign ;(

Edit: and this file here "cmdline_fso.cfg" is created in the data folder from time to time, and when it is there, the reports come back again, so I have to delete it. I do not know why this happens, and when I delete it, all runs as it should ^^
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 10:16:08 am by Nimiria »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
The installer is, sorry, not my first choice. I used this at first, and it took more then 8 hours to download the files with it, and then I had the problems there first time ;/

It'd take you just as much time to download them yourself as it would to download them with the installer.

What are these problems you speak of?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Edit: and this file here "cmdline_fso.cfg" is created in the data folder from time to time, and when it is there, the reports come back again, so I have to delete it. I do not know why this happens, and when I delete it, all runs as it should ^^

When you delete it you go back to running FS2 with retail data because you've just deleted the file that the launcher spent so much time creating.

Your earlier problems were almost certainly caused by the missing -jpgtga flag. So what problem are you getting now?

Offline Nimiria

The same problems as I posted before :/

When I run debug mode it gives me endless of these reports. And sometimes, when I start missions, oder want to see a ship database in the techroom, the game crashes.

Call stack:

comes then, for example, or
Warning: Couldn't open texture 'red_glow_small'
referenced by model 'fighter01.pof'

File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\Model\ModelRead.cpp
Line: 2532

Call stack:
    model_load()    techroom_select_new_entry()    techroom_change_tab()    techroom_init()    game_enter_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816fd7()

It runs only correctly when I delete this file :/

Offline CaptJosh

It seems to be indicating missing effects, yellow glow and small red glow, to be precise. The yellow glow is wanted by the flak cannon and the small red glow is wanted by the basic fighter, the Myrmidon, IIRC.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Run the debug build again and post the log file it creates. I'm betting that you still haven't got your tga textures turned on despite me telling you twice that this was the cause of your problems.

Deleting the commandline config is just stupid. If you want to solve your problems that way just run the launcher, set everything back to retail FS2 and turn on no mods from the mod tab. Because that's exactly what you're doing every time you delete that file. And then when you run the launcher and try to set up FS2_Open properly you recreate it with the same incorrect settings.

Offline Nimiria

Well, even with the reports the flak cannon worked correctly.

Well, I now found that mode "tga textures" and turned it on (the rest all was not turned on). The debug now did nod tell a report. I will try it now again, if there is no more report, that means it works :)

Offline CaptJosh

this is why we need to know things like what command line switches you have activated. If you had said right at the beginning that you didn't have any switches on at all, we would have told you to turn on -jpgtga.
CaptJosh

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Actually he said that in his second post. He just didn't know he'd said it as it was in his posted log file and I missed it :D

Offline CaptJosh

Does this fall under the category of McGyver saying "Oops..." about something, kara?
CaptJosh