Author Topic: Fighter02  (Read 27231 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
To be honest, there's calls for both schools of thought, with only a couple of hundred polies on the older models, there's already an awful lot of artistic license going into what is being made. I still think it's a kind of a complement to the skill of the modellers that when people look at things like the HTL Loki they see the 'old' Loki inside it.

I'm pretty sure FS2 does backface culling when it renders anyway, which means the most polies from a 5000-count model you are going to see is about 2500, and most hardware can compute the matrix-based rotations and deformations at millions of polygons a second. To be honest, with the poly count itself, you can go pretty nuts, with detail boxes on large ships you can go totally nuts.

That said, as has been pointed out before, most fighters aren't actually in view up close for all that long, and particularly in the case of the Shivans, details are actually pretty hard to make out, so sometimes it's worth bearing in mind that just because you can do a thing, it must not always follow that you must do that thing.

Most HTLers on here do it because they love it, they aren't thinking like game designers, they are thinking like modellers, that has resulted in some of the best in-game models I have ever seen, revisualised from, in some cases, 100 poly 'blobs', I don't have problems with speed on the new computer, but I can understand, however, how people with lower-power systems might be concerned.

The trick is not in the Lod 0, oddly enough, a squad of 4 HTL bombers attacking a capital ship might contain roughly 40000 polygons in total, even a medium-level HTL card could work out the on-screen positions of those polygons faster than it could transfer the texture data, especially if the Capship uses multiple textures. Textures have considerably more impact on performance than polygon count.

Let me put it this way, in Oblivion, there are 20,000 polygon boulders, not mountains, just boulders that you can jump on.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
meshed together on a crappy assembly line with leftover parts = probably blocky.

HTL = more detailed and folowing texture/concept art

Snail != HTL expert

What the ****? That's what I said.

Oh, and Mob, I think I misread your post. I thought you wrote "HTL is the acronym of less blocky." Sorry there.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
No way. HTL is synonim of less-blocky.

HTL = Less Blocky
HTL != Complete Redesign

If the texture has it, it's canon.

HTL is less blocky, you say? Less blocky does not necessarily mean more detailed, I'm afraid. What if, for some obscure reason, you are HTLing a cube? How do you make that less blocky while remaining canon?

« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 08:26:09 pm by thesizzler »

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
same question, but makes more sense since you cant HTL a cube without sacrificing its geometric cube status.

being one of the best HTL upgrades, was th herc 1 less blocky?

edit: typo fixed
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 09:40:23 pm by akenbosch »

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
same question, but makes more sense since you cant MTL a cube without sacrificing its geometric cube status.

being one of the best HTL upgrades, was th herc 1 less blocky?

Yes we all know you can't MTL a cube, but we're talking about HTL. :p

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
yes, i am too.  :doubt:

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
The key is to make it look more real, and to do whatever that entails.

In the Anubis' case I'd recommend following Ravens advice and improving the look rather than sticking strictly to the original design. The original model has quite a cool shape, but it's been built with such a tiny poly budget that the low-polyness has been incorporated into the texture - (especially on the wings), much to the detriment of the overall look.

I'd say the best way to go about it would be to start with making the curves actually look like curves and go from there. Just try to make it look like a crappy, cheaply built ship rather than the well built low poly model it is now. ;)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

I second VA on the crappy cheaply built ship. I believe it is also given that kind of description in the FS1 tech room and it was also used for kamikaze attacks.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
No way. HTL is synonim of less-blocky.

Which I replied with:

HTL = Less Blocky
HTL != Complete Redesign

Because Mobius kept saying to redesign it and get rid of the blockiness of it. I couldn't be bothered to argue my point further. Really, it would have been

HTL = Less Blocky, fine okay, I agree with you, but HTL != Complete Redesign.

I second VA on the crappy cheaply built ship. I believe it is also given that kind of description in the FS1 tech room and it was also used for kamikaze attacks.

They are also used for kamikaze attacks, you know. (Tenderizer)

Joshua uses Snail for a kamikaze attack

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Cobra watches while Snail gets pummeled by fighters while he moves at a Snail's pace
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Joshua uses Snail for a kamikaze attack

It looks like the consciousness of the universe is talking in the third person again.

Cobra watches while Snail gets pummeled by fighters while he moves at a Snail's pace

No comment.

Is there any progress on this thing at all anymore?

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Well I will get some work done today.School is a bummer.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Well I will get some work done today.School is a bummer.

School. ****. School.

Offline Hades

:necro:
I will start on this again because I now know how to get it with textures into wings.
Can some one post the textures and pof file for it? I don't have FSport right now and I really do not want to download the port just for one fighter.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Et voila!

[attachment deleted by ninja]
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
great! directly found its way into my cinema4D-hangar ;)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki

I, however, actually intend to finish this. Basic smoothing is done, recessed extrusions are done, guns are done. It's also UV mapped (but I wanted to show off the geometry.) A few more things to do then it's on to the cockpits.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Snail

• SC 5

Offline Hades

That looks like a 'high poly' fighter model from 2004. Add more detail, smooth it a it, anything to make it look less like a half-ass high poly model. The gunpoints look like nothing was changed from the retail model and there's almost no detail (seriously, model the panels already on the map).
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL