Author Topic: libpbg12-dev  (Read 5243 times)

I'm having a bug of a time getting this masterpiece compiled and installed because of this missing. Debian dropped it a few builds ago. I DO have libpng-tools but it's not satiating the needs of the compiler.
Ideas or workarounds from anyone?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Are you compiling builds off of the official repository?

Note that the special features that Diaspora required on its release have been rolled into the official FSO builds; there is no need to use a special Diaspora build anymore.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Install libpng-dev

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
When compiling builds off of the official repo (i.e. using cmake) that should not be necessary; cmake should grab all prerequisites required
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Really? Good to know. So if I read it right, only build-essential, cmake, libreadline-dev should be installed, rest is optional?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:07:42 pm by tomimaki »

I was able to get the first 4 parts of the installation guide done. On wxlauncher I'm running into a problem when it tries to make Modlist.cpp.

Basically the file is for keymapping.

Fun stuff. I was hoping it would be built and usable today, but I'll keep on keepin on.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:42:05 pm by UbuntuPC »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
The last time I tried to compile wxLauncher, it was a PITA. You definitely need the exact wxWidgets version it was developed with.

If you don't particularly care about compiling from source and just want to play Diaspora, I'd recommend grabbing Knossos from its PPA (I'm assuming you're on Ubuntu). If you dom't have FS2, you can skip that step during installation and still use Knossos to install (and launch) Diaspora.
Full disclosure: I'm the main developer for Knossos.

The last time I tried to compile wxLauncher, it was a PITA. You definitely need the exact wxWidgets version it was developed with.

If you don't particularly care about compiling from source and just want to play Diaspora, I'd recommend grabbing Knossos from its PPA (I'm assuming you're on Ubuntu). If you dom't have FS2, you can skip that step during installation and still use Knossos to install (and launch) Diaspora.
Full disclosure: I'm the main developer for Knossos.

I'm NOT on Ubuntu, I'm on Debian.

...first 4 parts of the installation guide...
What installation guide? Could you provide link?

...first 4 parts of the installation guide...
What installation guide? Could you provide link?

The ReadMe from the game download.

I'm going to dump the source code on top of the original wxlauncher goodies and see if it builds any better.

ERROR FROM TERMINAL WINDOW AS FOLLOWS

[  3%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/controls/ModList.cpp.o
/root/Diaspora/wxlauncher/code/controls/ModList.cpp: In member function ‘void ModList::readIniFileString(const wxFileConfig*, const wxString&, wxString&)’:
/root/Diaspora/wxlauncher/code/controls/ModList.cpp:638:77: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘wchar_t*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
   location.IsEmpty() ? _T("Not Specified") : escapeSpecials(location).c_str());
                                                                             ^
/root/Diaspora/wxlauncher/code/controls/ModList.cpp: In constructor ‘ModInfoDialog::ModInfoDialog(ModItem*, wxWindow*)’:
/root/Diaspora/wxlauncher/code/controls/ModList.cpp:1354:72: error: operands to ?: have different types ‘wxCStrData’ and ‘const wxString’
   wxString::Format(_T("<a href='%s'>%s[/url]"), (!item->forum.IsEmpty()) ?
                                                                        ^
/root/Diaspora/wxlauncher/code/controls/ModList.cpp:1354:72: note:   and each type can be converted to the other
CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/build.make:179: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/controls/ModList.cpp.o' failed
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/code/controls/ModList.cpp.o] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:105: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/wxlauncher.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:105: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 01:10:40 am by UbuntuPC »

Even though the README said it wasn't needed, I did download the freespace2 wxlauncher thing. The client for that fires up with zero problems. I'm going to tweak the settings a bit and see if I can get it pointed in the right direction. We'll see how it goes.

That fixed it! Downloading the freespace2-launcher-wxlauncher, launching it, then pointing it at the Diaspora PS2Open that we created did the trick. This game is beautiful. Granted, keyboard madness, but visually stunning, great dialogue so far. Looking forward to delving waist-deep into it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:24:04 am by UbuntuPC »

And now I have two new problems.

The first being the first actual mission against the Cylons. Shortly after I launch and the comms light up with chatter a dominant male voice comes over the comms and the game immediately crashes. I've tried this mission with all audio turned off and it still happens.

The second being rebuilding after the updates. Every time I go to "make" after "make clean" I eventually run into build errors. The last one that broke the camels back was an error for the multiplayer segment about a file that didn't exist. "mongoose" I believe.

I'll try recompiling it again and see what happens.

Offline m!m

Why do you not use one of the precompiled builds available in the 3.8 release thread? Those should work on most systems and you wouldn't need to worry about compiling the builds.

Regarding your issue: Did you try regenerating the build files with CMake? mongoose should be included in the build automatically so I don't know what is happening there.

Why do you not use one of the precompiled builds available in the 3.8 release thread? Those should work on most systems and you wouldn't need to worry about compiling the builds.

Regarding your issue: Did you try regenerating the build files with CMake? mongoose should be included in the build automatically so I don't know what is happening there.

I haven't tried the other downloads because I wasn't aware of their presence.

Mongoose does exist, but it's in the fs2_open folder, not deeper into the architecture where I've seen most of the build file source materials.

My system uses CMake for arguments, not for the actual make command, so I'm honestly not sure what to think about it. I just try and follow the directions and pray for the best.

I'm off to find this 3.8 thread.

Here is the release thread: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=93812.msg1853363#msg1853363

Thank you for that.

After some tweaking I was able to successfully have this masterpiece running smoothly. I can't wait to get serious about these fracking toasters!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:42:16 am by UbuntuPC »