Author Topic: Someone should...  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Back up the VW Archives while they're still up, don't you think?

Offline Dekzar

What are the VW Archives?

I've got access to a pretty good webhost, I could probably do it. If it's less than 3/4 GB....

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
It's probably way bigger. It's the Volition Watch Archives, from the begginings of Freespace.

I wonder...

Should people just start downloading all of the FS stuff from the VW Archives to their harddrives at home for possible transfer later to HLP?

Or is there a more efficient way of going about it?

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
I definently agree, thats some of te old school Freespace
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline Dekzar

Maybe we could just get a big list of everything on the Archives that's been downloaded?

Like if I downloaded new skins for FS2 ships, I'd post in that thread that I had it available, and it'd be added to a list of material we have.

Then if, say, Night Hammer downloaded a FreeSpace campaign, he could post, and we'd just slowly get everything off of there?

The reason I suggest a big list is so people don't waste time downloading duplicate files...

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Couldn't someone just ask for FTP rights to the server and do a drag and drop?  It'd take some time, but would be far easier and less labor intensive than using the HTTP/web method.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
But nobody has FTP rights and nobody knows where to get them.  Thus the delay in switching the archives to HLP.

Best hire a team of downloaders lest the admins wait past the point of no return. :(

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
So theyre not transfering them over here(HLP) or not?

Already much may be gone.  I recall there was some unforunate event a while back at the VW Arch. that resulted in the loss of a good number of missions.  It would seem that the data was never recovered. :(

But yes, I may start saving what remains to my HD.

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
I just d/l'd sumthn from there the other day so some of it still works at least

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
HLP admins have had plans to do this. VW Archives stuff would be put available for download in fileplanet apparently.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It looks like someone has already started.  Check out this site.  I'd volunteer my time in downloading some of it, seeing as how I'm currently on a cable connect and will soon be on a college Ethernet network :).