Author Topic: Cheat Codes  (Read 13033 times)

I can't seem to enable them.  Were they disabled, and if so, why?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Try "iamsuchabadplayer"

Other codes were disabled because you can easily break our missions.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Now i see that so: if any Mission to hard then toggle to easy or very easy.
I understand Tolwyns opinion. i Self cheated in FS2 with the result that the mission cannot finished because i make a ship invulnerable or other things.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
...isn't the ACTUAL points of cheats to break missions to begin with.

Which means there's no reason to disable them in the first place.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline KeldorKatarn

...isn't the ACTUAL points of cheats to break missions to begin with.

Which means there's no reason to disable them in the first place.

The point of cheats is to give the developers options to test specific situations. They are not meant for the player at all. Cheats have no please in release builds whatsoever. They are a developer tool, nothing else.

We left the invulnerability heat in (The above cheat activation codeword + Tilde+I after that to activate invulnerability) because it isn't game breaking.
Everything else has no place in a release build.

Offline Qent

That seems like a very strong statement to be forcing on other people in a single-player game.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Considering how our missions are scripted, cheat usage may quickly break the mission flow if you destroy an object which is supposed to stay alive. Add to that inaccurate bug reports and we will be wasting our time chasing ghosts. WCS is a huge game and it is already an achievement that thus far only three minor gameplay issues popped up.

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Well you could just ask the reporter if he cheated and state in the bug report guidelines that you will not address bugs triggered when the player was cheating. Pretty much every mod has missions that can be broken by cheating. Even retail can be broken by cheating. If you cheat, you deal with the consequences to the mission.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Why on earth would developer code in a features for their own use, and then, instead of not compiling them into the release build, hide them behind hard-to-type codes such as alafalafel , gabbagabbahey , www.freespace2.com , motherload , iliketocheat <<==!!!!!!!! (developer tool, for sure, this one)... I can see that perhaps they were introduced for the dev console, however, they were left in for the players to fool around with if they so wished.

Offline KeldorKatarn

Why on earth would developer code in a features for their own use, and then, instead of not compiling them into the release build, hide them behind hard-to-type codes such as alafalafel , gabbagabbahey , www.freespace2.com , motherload , iliketocheat <<==!!!!!!!! (developer tool, for sure, this one)... I can see that perhaps they were introduced for the dev console, however, they were left in for the players to fool around with if they so wished.

Are you a professional game developer? No? I happen to be one, so if you don't mind...

Of course people might leave them in the game SOMETIMES, if they are reasonably sure that it won't break anything or of some of the cheats are even triggering some easter eggs.

Since we are very sure that most of the cheats DO in fact break the missions, we'd rather not see any bug reports for stuff that we cannot do anything about alright?

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I would like to point out one thing: Wing Commander Saga is a game primarily for the players out there. It is not just a simple modding toolkit. I have always felt disappointed by the FSO launcher, because it offered a lot of possibilities to break the game.

We always said we will release the tools necessary for modding, but none of the players out there needs FRED or any lab tools or cheats to enjoy the game. The only thing that could come out of that is broken game because people play around with tools they do not understand.

Also...the attitute towards our work here keeps getting more hostile with each passing hour. I personally don't see any reason to support any community that keeps talking to us as if we are stupid and do not know what we are doing only because we happen to decide which plan to pursue with the fruits of 10 years of our work time...

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Is there anyone on HLP who isn't a modder to some degree? Pretty much everyone here mods, or FREDs, or fiddles with the game in some way. One of the keys to success when dealing with an audience is to know your audience, and when your audience is primarily composed of modders and hackers, well...

And really I haven't seen much "hostility" to WCS around here, except for MatthTheGeek, who is hostile all the time so he doesn't count. ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:30:57 pm by Woolie Wool »
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Is there anyone on HLP who isn't a modder to some degree? Pretty much everyone here mods, or FREDs, or fiddles with the game in some way. One of the keys to success when dealing with an audience is to know your audience, and when your audience is primarily composed of modders and hackers, well...
Um...I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the WCS team's target audience isn't just HLP.

Offline Qent

Also...the attitute towards our work here keeps getting more hostile with each passing hour. I personally don't see any reason to support any community that keeps talking to us as if we are stupid and do not know what we are doing only because we happen to decide which plan to pursue with the fruits of 10 years of our work time...
Woah there....

Would you at least consider providing a workaround for those of us who are not stupid enough to report bugs caused by cheats? Because as one of "the players out there" (well, I also tinker... does that disqualify me?), going out of your way to disable cheats is pretty offensive to me. I could talk about it more, if you think that would be useful. But if I were developing a game, I'd be at least a little worried that other players might also be offended.

Offline KeldorKatarn

You are offended if a game doesn't offer you cheats? Seriously?

Offline KeldorKatarn

Um...I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the WCS team's target audience isn't just HLP.

Actually the HLP isn't even on our list.

The HLP might be the target audience for our SDK though. But considering what's going on here at the moment that becomes more and more unlikely.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
As Tolwyn pointed out the goal was to create something people can play. That has been done.
So further support with patches, tools etc. might come...I don't know...at least a patch will come as far as I know to adresse some tech issues.

Frankly I don't get the problems some people have with the release. Its a game, it can be played and if you want to hack it you still can. I don't quite get the point. What was the last game you played that had all the hacking features when it was released?

Just be patiend. First the release, second order is to work out any technical bugs and then its hacking time. ^_^
As far as I heard FRED will be added alonge with some tutorials, so no you haven't been forgotten or will be treated badly. Its just not the top priority and yes the game isn't just for HLP people but also found a good aceptance outside of HLP where people do not know anything about FRED.
So take this also into account when bashing us for releasing something that everyone can enjoy. Thank you !

"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline KeldorKatarn

Most people playing this game don't even know the HLP or FSOpen exist. Heck some people I talked to don't even know what Freespace was.

Offline Qent

You are offended if a game doesn't offer you cheats? Seriously?
No, I am offended that you took pains to disable them. At first, I thought you were on a moral crusade against cheating in video games. But it's perfectly reasonable just to want to improve tech support, which is why I suggested a workaround, since that would make everyone happy.

I'm not bashing at all, just sharing raw feelings in the hope that they might prove useful.

Offline KeldorKatarn

They are still in the debug build. And we put pain into whatever we think will improve the robustness of the game.