Author Topic: SHINY - MediaVP 3.6.8 Delta  (Read 87552 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Re: SHINY - MediaVP 3.6.8 Delta
Ok, I'll just make everything available and you can grab just what you want.  I assume that you still have my IP, if not PM me and I'll get it to you.  You should be able to get access to the FTP in an hour or two.  I'll leave it up through the weekend at least but if you need more time just let me know.

One special note before I forget, mv_effects_t has a modular stars.tbl to add the extra hi-res Lightspeed nebula sets.  The problem with this is that the starfield code doesn't actually work properly with a *-str.tbm (loops forever, complains a lot, etc.).  I have this fixed in my local tree but probably won't commit those fixes until late this weekend.  Just FYI in case you try to use it.

Excellent. I'm not sure about the IP, but the -str stuff I was going to try to do anyway for the updated ls_neb.vp.

I'm not sure if that attachment has been posted in the other thread or not.  I've posted it in numerous places, and it's from my VPs, but I'm not sure about it being in the updates thread.  I'll give it a quick look though and if it's not there then I'll add it just so it's not missed.
Thanks. I know it's more touble, but it's a lot more convenient for me and everyone who tries to keep up-to-date with stuff before it goes in the mVPs.

On another note, just to not make a new post for this, I realized earlier today that I don't have updated "SunSathanas*" starfield bitmaps.  I don't see them in the official MediaVPs either, but I do seem to remember that someone made high quality versions at one point.  I also seem to remember using them not too long ago.  Am I just imagining the new versions, or are they actually missing?

There were some, but I remember that they had an issue with being off-center or misaligned, and I got some complaints because people thought that they looked worse than the old ones.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to be in any of the archived VP versions.
-C

Offline Descenter

• Gamers Rule, but so do Thoes Who Make Them
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I'm sorry to ask, but can someone direct me to the fix for this problem, if available?

Warning: Spelling error in table file.  Please change "inital" to "initial".
File:c:\fs2_open\code\ship\ship.cpp
Line: 2352
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    fs2_open_d-P420060323.exe 008023b0()
    fs2_open_d-P420060323.exe 00804f48()
    fs2_open_d-P420060323.exe 00a54dce()
    fs2_open_d-P420060323.exe 0080541f()
    fs2_open_d-P420060323.exe 006ddf98()
    fs2_open_d-P420060323.exe 006eac49()
    fs2_open_d-P420060323.exe 006eaf79()
    fs2_open_d-P420060323.exe 00b72fd7()
    KERNEL32.dll 7c598989()
------------------------------------------------------------------
"War is like playing a game of chess.  You move units on a field, and stratiegically try to weaken the opposing force, a sort of... elequent ballet.  Sure you might lose a few units,.... but, at times, it all part of the plan..."

"Most of the human race really don't give a damn.  Well I do, and I try to do something about it by giving a damn."

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Or what?  Is this a bug or here's a million dollars?  Is this a bug or here's your own spaceship?  Finish your sentences. :p

Oh no, I get it! They got him! They stuck him with a stake through the heart!
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm sorry to ask, but can someone direct me to the fix for this problem, if available?

Warning: Spelling error in table file.  Please change "inital" to "initial".

Shove this in mediavps/data/tables (assuming that you actually have your media VPs in the mediavps folder).

[attachment deleted by admin]
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Descenter

• Gamers Rule, but so do Thoes Who Make Them
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Thanks much.
"War is like playing a game of chess.  You move units on a field, and stratiegically try to weaken the opposing force, a sort of... elequent ballet.  Sure you might lose a few units,.... but, at times, it all part of the plan..."

"Most of the human race really don't give a damn.  Well I do, and I try to do something about it by giving a damn."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Oh no, I get it! They got him! They stuck him with a stake through the heart!

Oh, this is so sad!  Oh Porthos, I pine for you. :(

Offline Porthos

• www.clan-zt.com
Nah, Just had some issues with my hard drive. I am now back to haunt you O.o

Holy walleye, Batman!!!

Offline dborden

Hello all,

Sorta new here.  HUGE fan of Freespace back in the day.  Had no idea there was a source code project going on.  Stumbled on it and im hooked. Been playing around with getting all of this working and I am having some difficulty.  I think I have files in my media VPS folder that I should not and probably files that I don't have that should be there at this point.  I've been hacking away at this for a week now and I am so confused over this thread.

I am asking a big favor from anyone here:  Would someone be willing to compress(any format) there entire mediavps folder which they know to be working that has all the fixed and changes so far with 3.6.8 and upload it to my high speed ftp server?  I would absolutely be willing to host it for awhile to help others download this as well.  **begs**

Please PM me if anyone is willing to take a few minutes to do this and has the bandwidth to upload this to me.  I just picked up the Saitek X52 last night solely for freespace and I am EXTREMELY anxious to get this working. 

thanks,

David

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Hello all,

Sorta new here.  HUGE fan of Freespace back in the day.  Had no idea there was a source code project going on.  Stumbled on it and im hooked. Been playing around with getting all of this working and I am having some difficulty.  I think I have files in my media VPS folder that I should not and probably files that I don't have that should be there at this point.  I've been hacking away at this for a week now and I am so confused over this thread.

I am asking a big favor from anyone here:  Would someone be willing to compress(any format) there entire mediavps folder which they know to be working that has all the fixed and changes so far with 3.6.8 and upload it to my high speed ftp server?  I would absolutely be willing to host it for awhile to help others download this as well.  **begs**

Please PM me if anyone is willing to take a few minutes to do this and has the bandwidth to upload this to me.  I just picked up the Saitek X52 last night solely for freespace and I am EXTREMELY anxious to get this working. 

thanks,

David

Well if you haven't got them yet this is what I have:

1. mv_*** from the first post.

2. Two added HTL models (GTB Ursa and SFr Dis). Please notice SFr Dis is quite different from original. I always make vp for each patch or addition. I've got them in mv_000_GTB_Ursa.vp and mv_000_SFr_Dis.vp

3. The next patches:

3.1. Helios_tech.pof (wrongly named Helios-tech.pof in mv_models.vp) and Derelict_fix-wep.tbm (which corrects some missing weapons for Derelict) in mv_00patch.vp

3.2. Optional Species_defs.tbl in mv_01patch_glows.vp which makes FS2_Open show prettier engine glows.

3.3. Fixed nameplate.dds in mv_02patch_name.vp to fix the originial one. In no-nameplated ships, there were strange colours in their positions.

3.4 mv_tech-shp.tbm in mv_04patch_tech-shp.vp and mv_textures-shp.tbm in mv_05patch_textures-shp.vp which make some more fixes to ships.tbl

3.5. mv_05patch_DDSBeams.vp which contains latest DDS textured beams. They are supposed to be more efficient than original.

3.6. mv_06patch_Fenris.vp which contains a HTL Fenris that uses DDS textures. It is supposed to be more efficient than original.

3.7. mv_07patch_tables.vp which contains mv_dragon-shp.tbm which changes target window detail from LOD1 to LOD0 for this ship, and mv_expl-wxp.tbm which fixes some weapon explosions.

3.8. mv_08patch_initial.vp which contains mv_turretangle-shp.tbm which mainly fixes the "inital" issue.

3.9. mv_09patch_cubemap.vp which contains the cubemap.dds from Taylor that alows env mapping on ships in tech window even the first time you run this feature. (You need a very very recent build).

4. I have splitted mv_adveffects.vp in several mv_adveff_xxx.vp containing each high quality effect. I've made this because I use all but hi-res 3D shockwaves which usually kill performance. (I've got beams, explosions, glows, HiShock, nebulae and planets)

If you don't have some or all of them, ask me through this post or PM me and I will email you them. Nevertheless we all are waiting for a new 3.6.8. gamma version (or even a official 3.6.8.).

You also should know a few rules about file priorities to understand which one overrides the rest. Read this thread (http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,39114.0.html)

IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio