Author Topic: Descent on Steam!  (Read 29235 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, you can see this with floppies already. My father still has some of those around, and even a drive. And of course, vinyl will outlive it all, because it's just plain better for recording music than any digital disk created to date. :)
Shockingly enough, many people are idiots.
Oh, I know that. But there's you regular, run on the mill idiocy, and idiocy that makes you bang your head against the table. People who pay for cheats are not only head-bangingly idiotic, but also jerks for ruining other peoples' fun. And here's the scary thought: there's at least 500 of them, according to VAC statistics. Probably more...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
More on-topic, Descent II has now been added...though they're charging $10 with no current discount.  That same price will get you both games on GOG.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Great. At this rate, we might soon get Descent 3+Mercenaries. Probably also at a greater price than on GOG, but what really matters is interest it might spark in modding D3.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Lord knows D3 could use it.  I don't know that there's even anyone left in the Descent community still making new D3 levels.  It probably didn't help that D3Edit took something of a cumbersome approach to level-building, from what I understand.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
They already explained what was happening there, it was something that seemed pretty well justified.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1y70ej/valve_vac_and_trust/

I find it amusing how quickly everyone becomes "If you're not doing anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about" as soon as it's Valve doing it. If it were EA everyone would be screaming blue murder about it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
They already explained what was happening there, it was something that seemed pretty well justified.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1y70ej/valve_vac_and_trust/

I find it amusing how quickly everyone becomes "If you're not doing anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about" as soon as it's Valve doing it. If it were EA everyone would be screaming blue murder about it.
There's a little thing called a "track record" that supplies something called "context" so that there's a very good reason people would be screaming if EA did it.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I find that amusing too. Especially given that EA have occasionally been ahead of Valve in certain customer rights issues (Origin allowed banned users access to their games before Steam did).

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Does anyone know anything about this steamdb.info site? They seem to have a lot of FS related records:

http://steamdb.info/app/41610/ - FS1
http://steamdb.info/app/41620/ - FS2

and perhaps most interesting:

http://steamdb.info/sub/1976/#section_apps - What appears to be an Interplay package of a bunch of games, including all the descents and both FS1 & 2. Now, I don't know how reliable any of this might be, but it sure looks promising for a near term FS steam release!
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think those entries have been in there for some time now (I remember reading about them sometime last year), but so far, nothing concrete has happened in that regard.

Interplay not being forthcoming with their plans certainly doesn't help either....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Some games are added to the database before they are added to the store. SteamDB lists that.

It's properly too early to start dancing, but you can start practicing :P.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I require no practice. I am a full time dance machine.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I find that amusing too. Especially given that EA have occasionally been ahead of Valve in certain customer rights issues (Origin allowed banned users access to their games before Steam did).
Here's the thing. "Occasionally". In many other cases, though, Valve was clearly ahead. Also, what we're talking about is an anti-cheat measure, not a DRM. Anti-cheats are very important to the multiplayer experience. I've seen this on ArmA forums. ArmA III has many great things about it, but it's anti-cheat system is not one of them (it requires quite a bit of admin-side fiddling, which of course nobody does on public servers). As a result, there's constant complaining about cheaters on public servers, and the general consensus is that you need to join a clan if you want to play the game like it's supposed to be played. I suppose that if EA did something like that to combat cheaters, I'd give them a pass on that one, too, but Origin seems more focused on DRM, not on anti-cheat.

Of course, it'd be best if we didn't need such strict anti-cheats at all, but since people are dumb enough to actually pay for hard to detect, problematic cheats, I'm afraid they're to blame for that particular feature.

Offline Lorric

I require no practice. I am a full time dance machine.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I suppose that if EA did something like that to combat cheaters, I'd give them a pass on that one, too,

Would you though? Would you actually have let it pass if you'd heard of EA doing it 2 weeks ago? Or are you only saying that because Steam has given you an example?

Even if you would have, I suspect most people wouldn't. Which brings me back to my point that I find it amusing.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Would you though?

The vast majority of players have put up with far less well-directed and less-capable efforts to control botting and other forms of cheating. Don't sound so surprised they'll accept a degree of invasiveness if it gets results.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yeah. If this is necessary to enjoy a multiplayer game, then be it. The only example Valve gave me is of how ridiculous lengths cheaters can go to, all to ruin other peoples' fun. Unlike copyright protection, ridding the game of those pest is a worthy case, because it actually improves the experience a lot. Anti-cheats are there for the benefit of the players, not the company (well, it does benefit the company, but in the same way making a good game does), and therefore can be allowed more leeway.

Offline Aesaar

I suppose that if EA did something like that to combat cheaters, I'd give them a pass on that one, too,

Would you though? Would you actually have let it pass if you'd heard of EA doing it 2 weeks ago? Or are you only saying that because Steam has given you an example?

Even if you would have, I suspect most people wouldn't. Which brings me back to my point that I find it amusing.

Reason is not allowed on the EA hate bandwagon.  Go stand in the corner and think about what you've done.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
There is nothing unreasonable about hating EA  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

This is Hard Light, not the Wing Commander CIC :P.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I'm interested in Titanfall but the price puts me off. 59.9€! But at least I could return the game within 24 hours if I don't like it, so there's that.