Author Topic: Release CoW1 rebuild  (Read 15749 times)

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Decided to go ahead and give it a day early.

This is not meant to be a polished campaign.  It is a rebuild that is meant to do what it failed to do in 2002, which is to give an uninterrupted experience.

have fun.

http://www.mediafire.com/?qyiogqnnd6b13bi
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:05:03 pm by ShadowWolf_IH »
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Congradulations! This sounds huge.

I'll give it a try.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Downloading now.  It is always good to see old campaigns re-built and restored.

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
DL'ing :)
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
One note in advance: I advise you turn up the voice volume and turn down sound and music, because voice acting is quiet at places (especially in-flight).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:06:40 am by TopAce »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Viko

Thank you

Downloading now

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Two more notes again, about weapons:

The Banshee X is an advanced Akheton, not a shield breaker. Use it as such.

The Maxim has increased shield damage, so you can use it quasi-effectively against fighters as well. Keep this in mind for the third mission ("War Games").

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

I've run into a small problem.  In the second mission, all Vasudan freighters are invisible.

Disregard Post.  I've never seen a Bes actually docked with a cargo unit.  I didn't see it originally.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:25:40 pm by Aurora Paradox »

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
WoooooT :) !
Sounds like a good release.

Downloading!

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Okay, gents. It turned out that the missions that were included in the release are not actually the most recent versions.

Get the newest missions here. Get all these files into FreeSpace 2/Casualties of War/data/missions.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Are the missions updated in the release post too?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
No, I cannot edit Shadow's posts.

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
editted, i apologize for this one, I have no idea what happened.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

editted, i apologize for this one, I have no idea what happened.

Only one small problem with the edit.  Now the download link only contains the mission files and nothing else.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Okay, it's been a week since Paradox's reply, so I'm taking the initiative to upload the whole thing again:

http://www.mediafire.com/?z183gp1fraf5z4z

These are the most recent files. Everything included: textures, tables, missions, etc. The two other old downloads have been deleted to avoid confusion.

If you have the new missions and the old download, you don't need to download this.

Swantz: Can you update FSMod's download as well?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:00:36 am by TopAce »

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
Finished COW, here are my thoughts:

Spoiler:
Fun campaign. It was nice to play something new (for me since as I did not play the one released in 2002) in a time where not many things are being released.

Ship/Weapon design was innovative, the banshee X must have been the most fun I've had taking out subsystems.  They seem to fit into canon nicely.

The Ironhide's class of ship (Agamemnon?) was a unique surprise. Its star wars style laser turrets looked cool in broadside attacks.
I did not know I had to scan the Isis transport until it warped out. Was a subtle thing to catch in the directives text at the last minute late at night. Perhaps I was just being thick headed.

Those Vasudan stealth fighters were something else. Interesting fight trying to find them and stop them from attacking allies.

The campaign featured some other innovative game play ideas, like tracking the Isis in the nebula to find the queb.

Voice acting is a big plus in my book, borderline requirement. Well, it's pretty important anyways. Great that you all completed it. Some of the dialogue near the end was pretty good with the Agrippa for example. Final Debrief was good.

The background is technically implemented much like how Freespace2 originally did it. I like this layout and I prefer it to the newer method of having a large monochromatic field of gas that drapes half a skyboxes background.  I can tell much care was put into the layout of the .bmps which were numerous and spanned the 360 degree view. Backgrounds were cool, especially the planets.

Two significant bugs slowed my game progress down:
In the mission CAS-3 the first time after completing all directives, the Ironhide jumps without letting me dock with it, thus I could not end the mission. It seemed to happen for no reason. I was left hanging in the nebula and was forced to restart the mission.

In the mission CAS-7 The vasudan destroyer did not jump out. even though all objectives were complete. This ship is guardianed at 1% so the nearby Terran destroyers just kept pinging away at it. When I set the mission at 64X time compression, I knew something was wrong. No directives and no results. I guess I might have completed the objectives out of order since I was a bomber, but I don't really know. Must have something to do with the Vasudan destroyer's departure cue.

All around nice experience. The campaign has a little of that Volition made style/feel to it which was somewhat refreshing to find.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Spoiler:
Turned out that the Ironheart departs 600 seconds into the mission. I haven't noticed this, because that mission never took more than 7-8 minutes to me. I wonder why the original author decided the Ironheart should jump out at all. Well, the "Return to hangar" directive is obviously the re-release's addition and I guess the jump-out thing has been present since the first release. Anyway, have you tried jumping out? Your jump drives weren't disabled. I didn't request disabling them precisely for stuff like this.

The Hattie in CAS-7 must have jumped out. It jumps when its hull is below 50% or one if its engines is below 25% or when all hostiles are destroyed.

Thanks for the positive feedback. At last someone wrote a review.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
Spoiler:
I know what happened with CAS-7 now. I bombed the Apep's engines, thinking I was being crafty or something. I ordered the AI to get the other engine and the two engines must have been destroyed seconds apart from one another. The engine subsystem damage must have dropped from something greater than 25% to 0 all at once, which is very possible with bombs. So the ship just sat there disabled and never departed. Kind of a freak occurrence, but that's how it happened.

This scenario can be avoided by setting a guardian for the Apep's engines at a low % value.

For CAS-3 I never tried to warp, it would have been a sensable thing to try hehe.
BP Multi
The Antagonist

Offline utops

• rip: microprose,black isle, troika.
THE LINK IS DEAD!
What if ?