Author Topic: Screens 3  (Read 7180 times)

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
First, this is the very beginning stages of a wip.  So excuse the crap graphics. 

We will start with the sky.  It will not be this color. 

Let's move to the ground. We will have a proper ground model, complete with textures.  Not this one.

The Gun Towers / buildings.  Do I need to say that we will have proper models and not a sentry gun sitting there?

anyway.....orbittal bombardment works.

The second pic was my first incarnation, the 3rd is when I finally got smoke trails to work.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Such enthusiasm.  I'll just keep bothering though.  We have settled on a sky.  Actually TopAce liked it, so we are keeping it and using it.  Note, the better ground model as well.

Casualties of War

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
And I'm totally the wrong person to ask to review/evaluate graphics. Ask anyone from FotG. :D
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
and the newest incarnation

Casualties of War

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Eh, I'd just grab one of the Zfight ones

like http://www.zfight.com/misc/images/textures/envmaps/miramar_large.jpg

unless you're one of those stupid silly people that insist of doing everything themselves and refuse to make use of the wonderful resources available for free use/stealing. :P

the cyan is way too strong on these. (too high saturation in general actually, applies to the ground too). Makes it look very....dated.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline starlord

I like it! has a nostalgia feel to it! Like freespace meets terminal velocity!

Great work! I didn't know CoW would feature atmospheric combat!

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
if you are making a model then stop.  There are plenty to use, we don't need to learn to make more.

If you are fredding also stop.  just take missions from different campaigns and plug them in.

Please do not learn how to do anything, it only serves to show that you haven't done it before. 

Unless of course the journey is more important than the destination.  Unless of course you are trying to learn new things to contribute more to a place you love being.   Unless of course you refuse to succumb to the momentum of mediocrity.

I think I'll remain one of those stupid people.

Telling me that it is over saturated is one thing.  Telling me to steal it from somewhere else is another.  Feedback doesn't have to be good, just honest.

And Starlord, yes, we will attack in a ground attack / orbittal bombardment mission in CoW3.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:47:01 pm by ShadowWolf_IH »

Casualties of War

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
if you are making a model then stop.  There are plenty to use, we don't need to learn to make more.

If you are fredding also stop.  just take missions from different campaigns and plug them in.

Actually, that's precisely what I do whenever possible. Especially the first one, but the second one too. (why make your own SEXPs when you can cannibalize other people's and spare yourself the headache of making the logic work out?)
I wouldn't use something that I made when a suitable substitute is available of better quality just because there is some intrinsic benefit to me having made it. That doesn't mean I wouldn't try, but just that no one will ever see it if I can't make it better than something I can get elsewhere.

I'm a firm believer in minimum effort. I'll only try if I have a reasonable belief it will lead to something, and I believe that everything that just because I made it myself, it does not have any greater intrinsic value that something I mugged off someone off the street. I'll use whichever is better.

I guess I'm the weird one. Oh well.

Well, that pointless aside aside, the oversaturation might just be something with your launcher settings.
Is it that your rig can't handle postprocessing?

I've also noticed that there's some kind of odd compression grain on everything (all the screenshots up till now even). Even the space shots with ships I'm used to seeing don't look like they do on mine/most other people's... Might be jpg compression adding a lot of "noise" to everything? In that case it makes it difficult to actually judge how the thing looks under other conditions.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 05:52:22 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Ooh ground attack mission in FSO. I believe you will be the first.

Making use of user made assets in a modding community is very seldomly seen as an insult, least of which stealing. Many people create assets partly with hopes that they will be used in a future mod. If you want to create additional assets for your mod more power to you, sometimes as you say that's more fun, but there are also reasons why sharing is good too. Case and point, the Aurora being flown in the screenshot.   
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Ooh ground attack mission in FSO. I believe you will be the first.
There was a number of ground attack missions for TBP (there's an example in Raider Wars), MT planned to have some (they might be partially done, but the surface model is bugged) and WiH experimented with this (though the mission ended up as non-combat). Even 158th Banshee Squadron seemed to try making a ground attack mission (on retail), but nothing really came of it.
Still, CoW might have the first working, released ground attack mission in FS universe, assuming WiH doesn't beat it to this (it's not even sure if an atmospheric mission will be included in WiH).

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Athough this will never get used.  just to show someting for the background work going on.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 03:27:06 pm by ShadowWolf_IH »

Casualties of War

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
The Cerberus Nebula.

Casualties of War

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
el hombre vicio...

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
some shots from CoW2 new skybox.

Casualties of War

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Looks good, though a little more diversity on stars color and intensity would be good as well.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The shape of the first one reminds me of the Tadpole Galaxy. :)