Author Topic: Let's Play some more Dwarf Fortress, HLP! (Check the first post for a roster)  (Read 22950 times)

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Re: Let's Play some more Dwarf Fortress, HLP!
Do I have a dwarf?

Quote from: IronBeer

First off, let's introduce Esarai as a ladydwarf Machinist: Good attributes and exceptional skills in Siege Engineering. As a Machinist, Esarai will also be responsible for general mechanics and architecture work.
Yes! You've been an important player in setting up the Gravity Blender and the magma crematorium, in addition to plenty of other mechanical engineering projects.

I'm worried about mine, am i dead or am i just not doing anything noteworthy xD
You've been quietly turning out mounds of high-quality arms and armor. In fact, the dorf Patriot has been instrumental in getting the Armed Citizen Initiative completed in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm pretty good at sorting out if somebody dies or if general bad things happen to them. It's usually safe to assume that your dwarf is living just fine if I haven't specifically mentioned them.

------
Regarding the beast, I'm probably going to go with a cowardly-but-safe cavern collapse to kill it. Because I have no intel on the creature's somatic composition (the thing could be made of adamantine for all I know) or the virulence of its poison (which I think can reach any dwarf in ranged attack range- marksdwarves behind fortifications would NOT be safe), I don't want to begin with a head-on attack.

Could my dorfs ingenuity in chemicals help with the beast? Like, if it can spit poison then let's throw some other nasty stuff on it in exchange.
Unfortunately at the moment, "chemistry" is limited to soap-making and getting extracts from plants and animals. Bummer, I know. Supposedly there are ways to "poison" weapons for the soldiers of a fort, but it's difficult and has a massive backfire potential if any part of the procedure is done wrong. Read: it involves deliberately contaminating weapons with the dust, poison, or blood of a Forgotten Beast, and any poisons worth using would make the weapons lethal to even handle without protection.

I've got all the reincarnation requests noted, and I'll get the requested replays in the next time I advance the session.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Eep maximum derp, I missed that post.  Thank you! 

EDIT:  Read through the description... that's hilarious  :lol:

*Comes to work with a keg of rum*
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 11:21:07 am by esarai »
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Reincarnation for Dekker.too plox.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Unfortunately at the moment, "chemistry" is limited to soap-making and getting extracts from plants and animals. Bummer, I know. Supposedly there are ways to "poison" weapons for the soldiers of a fort, but it's difficult and has a massive backfire potential if any part of the procedure is done wrong. Read: it involves deliberately contaminating weapons with the dust, poison, or blood of a Forgotten Beast, and any poisons worth using would make the weapons lethal to even handle without protection.

Well... make the beast slip on a soap :P

I can understand the danger of having poisoned weapons in the middle of moody dwarves.
Perhaps it's best to leave the poison thing out and concentrate on the soap.
Habeeb it...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'm Tyler durden.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
After weeks of tense (I'm sure) waiting, another installment in the (mis)adventures of Peakwind has arrived. Well, a short installment, but I'll try to get another update posted before the next three weeks have elapsed. I started this session with one goal in mind: kill that Forgotten Beast so that the dwarves can extend the gravity blender's deathdrop further down to improve the already-prodigious killrate.

Before anybody asks, I do have the reincarnation requests from earlier in the thread logged. Haven't acted on them yet, but I will get to it in the next session.

First up, as part of an old request on IRC, welcome Mura to the fort as a Mason.

Oddgrim, you have not been forgotten. I picked the first male archerdwarf I could find on the list, and as it so happens, you're also Peakwind's Captain of the Guard and the current reigning Mayor. Unintentional but awesome.

Right away, I've identified a suitable location for our Forgotten Beast trap, and I order Scotty and his miner cadre to get to digging. The trap will have two major components: the first is a series of narrow winding hallways that can be isolated by retracting bridges. The floor of these hallways will be festooned with deadly retractable spikes, and will be the initial kill mechanism. Should the spikes fail for whatever reason, the second part of the trap is a big slab of stone suspended above the maze. The sole support mechanism will be linked to a safely remote trigger, and remotely dismantling the support will cause the slab to fall, obliterating anything in its path. And I mean ANYTHING- a cave-in will instantly kill any creature(s) caught under the falling ceiling regardless of all factors. I like to think of an engineered cave-in as similar to a Dwarven nuke: a lot of work to set up, finicky to trigger properly, but peerlessly destructive when operating as intended.

And the maze takes shape. Other sections of the trap are being shaped at the same time, but the precise nature of the work makes it tedious to document.

The first of the few distractions this session takes the form of a Possessed child. He gets to work soon enough, and I get back to overseeing the delicate trap-building work.

A more epic face veil you will never behold! Ok, you might, but there can't be many better.

In a surprising twist, Esarai unseats Oddgrim as Mayor of Peakwind! I re-shuffle the Mayoral Quarters to Esarai's hands, and bash out a modest-yet-nice office for Oddgrim to continue his military oversight duties. Esarai gets right to throwing her new power around and starts making mandates for the production of battleaxes. During this session, she mandated a total of about six new weapons, but I'm actually not irritated by the demand- the oldest children will start coming of age soon and that means Peakwind will need a lot of new choppy, stabby, and slashy tools. I think Esarai's just fine for a new Noble.

Whoops. Looks like I forgot about a mook Clothier who perished in some fight or another. Not a big deal- this particular spirit was content to just sit around while I was handling the situation. I already had memorial stones carved for the rank-and-file dead, so I just plop this guy's headstone at the appropriate coffin, which apparently never got filled. Ah well, once the stone is down the ghost goes away quickly enough.

Rigging up each spike emplacement to a remote trigger is a slow process, and takes much longer than the structural excavation required by the trap. As the Machinists work, I stay focused on keeping the fort running smoothly. A Human caravan presents a useful opportunity to diversify certain resource stockpiles.

In addition to remaining the "commander-in-chief" of Peakwind's army, Oddgrim is also one of the few dwarves in the fort with an Appraiser skill, which allows him to accurately gauge the value of trade goods. The late redsniper was the earlier trade broker, but Oddgim does a fine job of filling the gap. As is becoming a tradition, we offload some of dsockwell's divine "****cooking" for a bounty of wood, gems, metal ingots, and basic foodstuffs.

A mystic spirit of creativity grabs another of Peakwind's children, and this tyke scampers off to the nearest crafting shop to work on something amazing.

That "something amazing" turns out to be a stone mug fit for an emperor, depicting an epic frieze telling the tale of an ancient ogress' rise to infamy as an enemy of our civilization in an age long past.

As the humans pack up and head out, I get a message for a kobold ambush. Turns out the "ambush" was a single kobold archer. Poor bastard got one-shotted by the closest caravan guard. According to the combat log, the responder was a human spearman who charged the kobold once the critter left stealth. The spearman closed the distance as the kobold was distracted shooting at a merchant. A lowered shoulder combined with the spearman's forward momentum knocked the crude bow from the kobold's hands and stunned the little skulker. Presented with an opportunity for an easy strike, the spearman lunged forward and thrusted the spear upwards under the kobold's chin. The spear sliced through pretty much everything important in the kobold's neck, and the spearman's followthrough on the strike tore the poor creature's head clean off in a bloody arc! (I may have embellished some of that account for the hell of it)

Not long after the caravan safely clears the map, the trap is ready for action. I've tested all mechanical systems other than the cave-in release and chained up a cat in the middle of the maze for bait (hostile creatures will instinctively seek out the nearest "friendly" creature they can path to). A volunteer miner digs out the last chunk of rock separating the trap from the rest of the cavern, and Os the Forgotten Beast stalks into the trap.

The emaciated, mutant frog-beast enters the spider's web. The cat is a forgone conclusion, but the unfortunate feline offers enough of a distraction for Os' bloodlust that the bridges in the maze can be retracted, trapping the dumb beast in the maze!

Os wanders aimlessly around the maze's corridors, and I order one lucky mook dwarf to continuously cycle the steel spikes. Turns out my fears of Os' somatic composition were overblown- the frog dies easily enough after some repeated hits, giving in to blood loss shortly after this image is captured.

I re-open access to the maze, and workers come to clean up the cat's remains and haul off Os' carcass. Though "emaciated", this Forgotten Beast will provide the fort with a god's worth of food when butchered.

Gotta cut it short here, but I promise I'll do everything I can to get another update out soon.

Litany of the Fallen:
Scourgeson, slain by a goblin ambush
Polpolionson, drowned after falling through melting ice (body unrecoverable)
redsniperson, slain by a crazed fellow dwarf
Borin "Balrogbait", died of old age
Hobbie, slain by a goblin swordsman
Kobrarson, slain by a fellow dwarf with anger management problems
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 12:49:05 pm by IronBeer »

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
I have a dream that one day my four little children will live in a peakwind where they are judged not by the content of their character, but by the sharpness of their axe.  I have a dream...
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Axe Esarai a question. Go ahead. I dare you. :P
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Oh lord. :D

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Time to redorf it looks like
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
All Glory of the dorfs!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Wohoo good job with the beast.

And RIP random cat.
Habeeb it...

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
So that beast went down rather easy

Knock on wood, but it appears things won't be so bad
"No"

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Back at it. I'll start by saying that this is a content-light update despite taking a lot of time to run- I'll explain shortly.

So with the beast dead, Scotty's miner corps gets right to digging the gravity blender pit even deeper. And it suddenly becomes obvious why the pit was originally left at its earlier depth. It may not be terribly obvious from this screencap, but digging down on broken terrain like this is very time-consuiming and tedious. Because of cave-in risks, I have to make channel (dig down) deisgnations one strip of tiles at a time and wait for that whole strip to be excavated before marking the next strip. Dwarves being dwarves, all possible workers will descend upon a relatively small work area, each at their own pace. Nonetheless, I push on.

A human trading caravan shows up within a few minutes.

And like clockwork, a smelly Kobold ambush follows.

With some friends. I don't recall if I've posted any shots showing the "depot airlock" in action, so here we are. Basically, the Trade Depot is sandwiched between two sets of drawbridges, and the bridges cross over simple pits. Although some monsters can destroy buildings (like bridges), and some can also fly, no monsters are smart enough to combine those talents, so this is about as safe a front door as you can build.

As we do business with the traders (god-tier food for shiny things), a mook Digger suddenly gets rather shifty.

Badass cabinet. Made from wood to stick it to the elves, and decorated with some leather from that forgotten beast, among other dwarfy things.

Whoops. Looks like I forgot about the merchants for a bit too long. Fortunately, none of Peakwind's citizens were anywhere near that mess. Some merchants started killing each other, a couple others started babbling strange things, and I cycled the airlock and hastily bid the survivors farewell.

Stupid ghosts.... at least this guy doesn't cause any mayhem. The spirit in question is an old caravan guard who probably died to an ambush. Trouble is, he's not listed as a vaild subject for a memorial slab. Meaning, if I want to put his ghost down, I'll need to find his body and bury it.

Through some clever use of the "stocks" screen, you can locate individual corpses and... I won't be recovering that guy's bones any time soon. With the gravity blender unusable due to renovations, we'll just have to sit out this seige in our impenetrable fort. Oh well. :P

Nope. Still no idea what happened here. I don't think it was a vampire, since the guy's corpse would have been described as "drained of blood", and ghost shenanigans are always announced. Strange.

Apparently goblin sieges spur creativity.

Good. Artifact furniture is nice and all, but you know what I'd really like to see? Some artifact arms and armor or furniture made from gold. But your stonework is nice too.

Well, it was pretty much bound to happen. Despite my caution, a cave-in managed to happen somehow. Caiaphas and another mook miner are badly hurt, but will survive. Right after the cave-in occurred, I tried to reconstruct exactly what had happened, but I was never able to figure out exactly where the problem area was. Even so, I slow down even more, and mark excavation areas with even greater care, checking and double-checking tile connections and support.

**** just got real. A dragon has come a-knocking. I really don't want to play with her, but none of Peakwind's automated defenses will actually kill her. I hope I'm right about flying building destroyers not being smart enough to combine those skills.

This might be a good time to point out a couple of things. I mentioned at some very early point (if not on this LP), that I'm running with some modifications to dragons: they have a "classical" dragon morphology with wings and grasping claws, I made them "intelligent learners", and gave them a greater variety of eye/scale colors. Also note the dragon's procedral name: "Osna Brandflame the Spark of Heating". That's surprisingly coherent for a DF-generated name!

A human caravan shows up shortly after Osna does, and I ready some popcorn. What happens next astounds me.

Osna gets her scaly ass kicked back into the Age of Myth. At first I thought a couple crossbow troopers got lucky, but digging through the combat logs revealed the truth. A lone lashwoman. For those who aren't familiar with DF's weapon damage system, know this: blunt weapon damage is a function of "impact area", material density, and "impact speed". A whip made of silver has very small impact area (focuses force), high material density (greater base force), and a very high impact speed (light overall weapon), and naturally counts as a "blunt weapon". The thing would better be qualified as some kind of sci-fi monofilament blade. Despite wielding a NO-QUALITY silver lash, that lashwoman (whose name I forgot to note) all but soloed Osna, delivering a crippling strike with every solid hit!

Before anybody asks, I did try to recover Osna's corpse for dragon roast and dragonskin armor. Nobody tried to collect it. Sorry.

Moved by the lashwoman's display of over-the-top badassery, I decide the caravan survivors have earned the right to trade. We make what is becoming a classical exchange ("****cooking" for shiny things: gems, metal, etc), and bid farewell.

They then get jumped by a goblin ambush squad fifty yards from our front door. Trouble is, some of Peakwind's citizens were outside at the time since I figured the Dragon would have kept gobbo jackholes away. Not so! Mura in particular got hit with bad luck. He took a goblin arrow and passed out- I thought for sure he was doomed, but elsewhere in the skirmish the goblins got pwned and decided to fall back. Another dwarf dragged Mura back safely inside- this is why we wear armor, kids!

And THIS is what the miners are dealing with right now. Multiple "spires" of rock that need to be ground down to nothing, and some walls that need to be built to enclose the area. With about 5-to-6 or so z-levels left to go. This will be a tedious, nerve-shredding test of patience. Compare to, say, Minecraft where a miner could just hop onto the top of a spire and dig it all down in one pass. Dwarves lack both the intelligence and focus to work so efficiently. Ah well.

Speaking of dwarves, I finally got around to some recruitment/reincarnation requests. First, from IRC is qazwsx as a Weaponcrafter.

Hobbie's back as a child who unfortunately has no actual relation to Hobbie. So it goes.

FireSpawn has respawned as her oldest son.

redsniper also apparently never married, so I grab a random child and christen him reddersniper. Back in the game.

I do something similar with NuScourge; gotta say I was surprised at how many of the Fallen didn't actually have families!

Litany of the Fallen:
Scourgeson, slain by a goblin ambush
Polpolionson, drowned after falling through melting ice (body unrecoverable)
redsniperson, slain by a crazed fellow dwarf
Borin "Balrogbait", died of old age
Hobbie, slain by a goblin swordsman
Kobrarson, slain by a fellow dwarf with anger management problems
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 12:56:03 pm by IronBeer »

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Damn
That's one badass Caravaner

Also, isn't that the first dragon we've come across in all the DFLPs?
"No"

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
And here I was thinking we would arrow it to death.
What klind of a stupid dragon forgets it can fly?... it deserved to die!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Where is the DORF action?

In the absence of updates, I fell back to reading the vast epic tale or BOATMURDERD:

http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Nearing critical moments / decision points on one of three career-beginning job leads, mostly. Also, I'm planning a trip to Australia to visit my parents, and I've gotten my FREDding spark back.

In short, I've been busy. Though I will admit I am flattered that people wonder where the updates are. TrashMan counts as "people", right? :P

Trust me, I haven't forgotten. I'm actually planning on slowing down updates a bit, while generally "picking at" Peakwind over time.

Offline Lorric

In the absence of updates, I fell back to reading the vast epic tale or BOATMURDERD:

http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/
I did some reading of that a few months back. Basically soon after dwarf-Lorric arrived in this LP. I'm up to part 31. :)

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Another absolutely hilarious DF LP while we wait for more Peakwind, for those of you interested:

http://brokenforum.com/index.php?threads/dwarf-fortress-vd-staying-dry.1003/

Almost the entire thing had me in tears of laughter.