Author Topic: Let's Play some more Dwarf Fortress, HLP! (Check the first post for a roster)  (Read 22946 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: Let's Play some more Dwarf Fortress, HLP!
Ranger? Archer+animal trainging combo?
Not bad. But do fix me up with a side sword in case I run out of arrows.

Also, since as a ranger there's not much to do most of the time, I'd like to also do whatever creative work is avilable. Smithing, carving...whatever.
Or I guess my days can be spent battle-training.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
IronBeer: Read this

It made the game a bit more enjoyable for me. When you can do something in 15 presses of ctrl+p instead of manually doing the whole thing 15 times is great. (placing bedroom furniture comes to mind)
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
I'm loving the individual dwarf info! But.......am I a woman???
Yes. I've gender-switched a few other people as well since I prioritized starting skillset over gender. If this is an issue (though honestly, I'd have a hard time seeing why- I was really careful to give most people a badass dwarf), let me know and I'll try to work something out. Dekker, in your case particularly, skills relating to siege engines are very difficult to train. Since a Siege *Engineer* is a non-combatant who builds the weapons, and the Siege Operator actually flattens enemies with them, I went ahead and assumed you'd rather do the latter.

It made the game a bit more enjoyable for me. When you can do something in 15 presses of ctrl+p instead of manually doing the whole thing 15 times is great. (placing bedroom furniture comes to mind)
Interesting. I've half-heartedly tried macros in the past, but if there's now native macro support, I might just need to give it a good honest try.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
I'm loving the individual dwarf info! But.......am I a woman???
Yes. I've gender-switched a few other people as well since I prioritized starting skillset over gender. If this is an issue (though honestly, I'd have a hard time seeing why- I was really careful to give most people a badass dwarf), let me know and I'll try to work something out. Dekker, in your case particularly, skills relating to siege engines are very difficult to train. Since a Siege *Engineer* is a non-combatant who builds the weapons, and the Siege Operator actually flattens enemies with them, I went ahead and assumed you'd rather do the latter.

Interesting. I've half-heartedly tried macros in the past, but if there's now native macro support, I might just need to give it a good honest try.
its nothing all that new honestly. ctrl + r, record something annoyingly repetitive, ctrl +r, ctrl + p to do it.
ctrl + s to save a macro, ctrl + L to load it

Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Ooh I'm a chemist... ... muhahaha, Muhahahaha... MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Time to make some soap!
Habeeb it...

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Deathfunner is the Chief Medical Dwarf of Peakwind, with basic skill in all aspects of medicine and a recent Legendary status in boneworking. Let's hope it helps her patch up hurt dwarves.

Mua... muahaha..... MUAAAHHHAAHAAAHAAA
*Series of "Medical Accidents" occur"

I WILL MAKE ALL OF YOUR BONES INTO MY WORKS! ALL OF THEM I SAY!

I couldn't think of a more suitable way to deal with the... ones who don't make it...
"No"

"OK, the bad news is that we had to amputate your right arm. The good news is that I made an absolutely divine bracelet with it."
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Hmm...can I be the hammerer? :D

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Ironbeer, it's cool. Not only do I get to fill my time with the dwarfy equivalent of combat engineery goodness. I get to do it while jiggling my own boobies!!! :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Ironbeer, it's cool. Not only do I get to fill my time with the dwarfy equivalent of combat engineery goodness. I get to do it while jiggling my own boobies!!! :yes:

If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It'd look a lot like two Picards doing face palm tbh.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Lorric

I've had a look at my Lorric-dwarf. I hope he will serve you well.

"He is short and very skinny"

That doesn't seem a very good combination for a manual labourer!  :D

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
It'd look a lot like two Picards doing face palm tbh.

This was a winsome exchange.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I can possibly also work part-time as a cook/brewer, if ya need one. It'll pass the time between making beds/caskets and operating on infrequent injuries (unless a wild FUN appears.) :)
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I can possibly also work part-time as a cook/brewer, if ya need one. It'll pass the time between making beds/caskets and operating on infrequent injuries (unless a wild FUN appears.) :)

I NEED MOAR BONES

This LP is seriously making me want to get in on this game just to see what could possibly go wrong
"No"

I NEED MOAR BONES

This LP is seriously making me want to get in on this game just to see what could possibly go wrong
Here's a short list: EVERYTHING.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

I NEED MOAR BONES

I am not allowed to say where these bones came from, nor am I allowed to say why I'm making wooden crafts in the shape of dwarf bones.  :nervous:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Oh, hey look a pretty big update. Caveat: I am writing this the day after, so I may have blanked on some finer details. Anyways, here we go.

First up, the dossier on Danteson. 'Danteson' is a family name, because Sparda's got a ladydwarf Woodcutter. As requested, she's marked to become an Axedwarf.

Next is 20percentcooler, as the Hammerer. In the Dwarven justice system, the Hammerer is effectively the executioner. Serious crimes like murder are punished with a certain number of blows from the Hammerer. 20percent is currently unarmed, but once I get the forge industry rolling, I'll craft up a badass Hammer of HLP Ownage for him to use.

Oh and what's this? Miners digging into the magma pipe? Sort of. I'm currently digging out a "main-line" for magma-powered furnaces and forges. The project will require a good bit of digging, so I'll keep posting progress pictures.

Migrants. Modest-sized group, nothing too remarkable.

Ah now we're getting somewhere. These side pipes will feed the actual forges and furnaces on the upper level. Just hang on for a sec, a more complete explanation is inbound.

Go up a z-level, and now you can see the actual alcoves for the forges and furnaces. There's a small side passage to allow access to the food/booze stockpile, and stairs connect this work area with the primary storage area with all the other fuel and metal. Now, here's the deal with magma furnaces: the level below a furnace needs to have a certain amount of magma filling it, and the furnace needs to have a channel dug out to directly access the magma. Only a single tile really needs magma, but I decided to just go with a lazier piping setup since we have an infinite magma supply.

Cut into the pipe using 'C'hanneling from above, and.... no flow. What? I had planned to have magma flowing passively from the pipe into the feed chamber, but it turns out I miscalculated the level of magma in the pipe! The surface of the magma is the next level down! ARGH!

No worries, though. There is another solution- screw pumps. Screw pumps move liquids from a lower z-level to their own z-level at a surprisingly fast rate, and magma counts as a liquid. Naturally, magma will destroy machines made of most materials.... but not all materials. Iron qualifies as "magma-safe", so I order pump components made from some of our remaining iron, and the area around the pipe incision is prepared for the machinery.

In the mean time, a caravan shows up. I toss a few trinkets their way and send them packing. We're doing some really important !!WORK!! here!

And here's the completed pump, depicted as a pair of barrels because of graphics derp. The pump can be powered either by an external power source like a windmill or water wheel, or by direct dwarfpower. A dwarf with the Pump Operator labor will stand on the pump and make it crank. Don't worry- the front end of the pump counts as a wall, so magma won't backwash and melt the operator. The square just to the right of the pump is covered by a grate to keep out any potentially nasty creatures living in the magma.

I order the pump to be manually operated, and Dekkerson rushes down to start cranking. Ladies and gentlemen, we have magma.

As Dekkerson fills up the magma supply tubes, one of Peakwind's woodcrafters gets extra-shifty all of a sudden.

Turns out he just wanted to make an artifact bracelet. Nice.

Here's the magma supply tube, almost completely full. The gray blotches to the north are smoke puffs from burning graphite chunks that were leftover from the excavation.

Around this time, Mongooseson and deathfunner decide to tie the knot. Congrats, you two.

So here's the new magma furnace area with smelters, glass furnaces, a kiln, and a forge established. Raw materials like ore, fuel, and metal will be held in the middle area, and some of the alcoves are unoccupied for potential expansion. Three smelters can process a lot of ore in a hurry, but Peakwind might need more capacity someday.

Just as the finishing touches are being put on the new forge area, one of the metalworkers becomes obsessed with a big idea!

And he makes a badass spear from a Pig Iron base. Pig Iron's not the greatest weapon material, but based on my evaluation of the raws, it should be roughly equivalent to a Copper spear, though of course the artifact status will help a lot.

And more migrants. There have also been a lot of new births- between the migrants and the babies, we're getting a pretty decent population. (About 140-ish by the end of this session)

This particular batch of migrants pushed us over the 80-dwarf threshold for sieges. While I think our surroundings are reasonably peaceful, the goblins will come knocking eventually, and we need to be ready. The "armed citizen" initiative is stalled for lack of materials, but I can get a gravity blender built in the meantime. Heheheh.

Also at some point, some dwarf decided to make an artifact wooden ring. Eh.

Still more migrants. Things are progressing quite nicely by now. The miners have uncovered multiple deposits of copper while preparing a "reinforced above-ground" farming plot. If we can just find an iron deposit, our vast stores of coke would permit us to make incredible amounts of steel. Of course, we have no eyes on iron yet.

Then all of a sudden, trouble! Merchants show up to trade, and two back-to-back goblin ambushes catch us perfectly with our pants down.

When the dust settles and all the surviving gobbos have been driven off, six dwarves lie dead and two are heavily injured. Sadly, Scourgeson is among the slain.

As Peakwind picks up the pieces following the attack, Trashson decides that this is a good time to start working on an artifact.

Annoyingly, Trashson was a cheeky bastard regarding his demands, and I had a lot of trouble figuring out what hung him up for quite some time. I even resorted to siezing any goods I could from the caravan via the Depot deconstruction trick, fearing that Trashson was hung up on Giant Cave Spider silk. Aggravatingly, he was not. Fearing the worst, I dug into the wiki, scouring the Strange Mood article for any potential diagnoses. The wiki revealed that Mooding dwarves will try to use materials in line with their preference if possible. Trashson likes dogs, so I figured maybe he wants dog leather or something. Turns out he wanted dog bones. Go figure- once he got the bones, he went ahead, scooped up a bunch of other materials, and finally got to work.

Were he not a named dwarf, I probably wouldn't have gone through such great lengths to save his project and his mind.

notbad.jpg A bone spear should be a pretty decent weapon, though I am surprised he went with the porcupine bone base. Whatever dude, it's your project, and we get another legendary crafter. Almost doesn't seem right to risk him in combat, but it's what he wants.

Because of the way I set up the well and the water system, our water supply is actually non-functional for a short period of time in the final weeks of winter. The river upstream freezes, but not the section of river nearer the fort, so water slowly drains from the map in the meantime. I decide to try and dig a quick-and-dirty detour around the frozen section, since some of the upstream river is still liquid. It ultimately doesn't work that well, and spring comes quickly enough.

Unfortunately, spring melts the ice, and Polpolionson apparently rolled a zero on his luck throw, disappearing into the river and drowning as the ice melted under his feet.

In an effort to try and make the detour safer and possibly more functional, I designate a quick stone flooring job to be done over the dugout area. A goblin ambush catches three unnamed laborer dwarves outside. I lock the doors and consign them to their fate, leaving the job half-done.

By now, it's pretty late, and my jimmies are more than a little rustled, so I'm gonna leave off on a downer note rather than pushing for a hopefully nicer ending. At this point, inattention or mistakes can easily result in more needless deaths, so I'll shove off for now. At present, ten dwarves of Peakwind are dead, along with a pet animal, and three other dwarves from our parent civilization.

Litany of the Fallen:
Scourgeson, slain by a goblin ambush
Polpolionson, drowned after falling through melting ice (body unrecoverable)

Actually, I lied just a bit. I do have a hopeful note to end on. Surveying the revealed area of the cavern a bit revealed two things that make me very happy. First is a large amount of Basalt. Basalt is a material that can hold hematite veins, meaning more than likely we're sitting on iron ore. Secondly, we have access to an assload of Marble, which is needed for Steel production as a flux stone. Bottom line: we've hit a bit of a rough patch, but I think we can start sticking it to those damned goblins before much longer. As far as construction accidents, well..... dwarves will be dwarves.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 03:35:16 pm by IronBeer »
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Patriot

yay, iron.

Now, did you put me into this LP as well? and as what? :o

Alas, poor Scourgeson :(  Taken down by stinking gobbies :nono:
He apparently forgot how his ancestor once beat a kobold thief to death with his bare hands, and later rampaged and took out a pack of guard dogs, also bare-handed. And then how his vengeful ghost lopped off a dwarf's arm for giggles.

Hopefully this new ghost will be less vengeful.