Author Topic: Kaijus..Kaijus come stompin!  (Read 8964 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Kaijus..Kaijus come stompin!
I see this thread as a slanging match now.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Lorric

I would have liked to have asked Trashman why the game excites him. I am genuinely curious. But I don't feel I could have that talk with him with the way this thread is, people would get in the way of it, and the mood has already been spoiled to have a pleasant conversation.

In addition, anyone who likes the look of Kaijus-a-gogo or the products turned out by Kereberos has automatically been personally insulted several times by people in this thread. If I liked Kaijus-a-gogo I wouldn't want to talk about it here because of the attitude.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 12:32:16 pm by Lorric »

Offline Luis Dias

Lorric, where have people "who likes the look of Kaijus-a-gogo or the products turned out by Kereberos" been "personally insulted"... "several times" by "people" - plural -  Lorric?

You're making an hyperbole here. A consensus that this "product" is ****ty by the posters is not an insult, nor does it display a "bad" "attitude" or whatever. This is all in your head.

Offline Lorric

Lorric, where have people "who likes the look of Kaijus-a-gogo or the products turned out by Kereberos" been "personally insulted"... "several times" by "people" - plural -  Lorric?

You're making an hyperbole here. A consensus that this "product" is ****ty by the posters is not an insult, nor does it display a "bad" "attitude" or whatever. This is all in your head.
Alright, I'll show you.

Yet you still have apostles like Trashman spreading the word of their trash products.  :nono:
Maybe you should stop coming here just to advertise the company you so fanboyishly adore?
you'd almost think they were trying to fleece loyal chumps because they know they'll never be taken seriously as a professional dev again
Trashman, you are just comedy gold  :lol:

The first batch are all insulting you personally for liking the games the company turns out. And the last one in the context of what it responds to is completely disrespectful of someone else having a different opinion.

Basically that's what they all are. If you like Kereberos games, you're a chump or a fanboy. You can't just have a different taste in games and that be respected, and I don't want to run into something like this if I want to make a thread to talk about a game I like.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Given that this thread has generated a lot of reports so far, I'll close it for the moment so the situation can be sorted out.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Okay...let's try this again.  The relevant parties involved have been given minor warnings, with the understanding that said warnings will be escalated if the behavior is repeated.  As per our forum guidelines, the following actions are considered unacceptable behavior on HLP: Baiting another user, responding to said bait, and acting as a "mini-moderator" in lieu of using the report function.  We're all big boys and girls here; we should be able to play nice with each other.

I'm going to unlock this for now, with the caveat that any further discussion address the topic itself, and not be aimed at other posters.  If the same thing happens again, the consequences will be much more significant.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
i think simple games are great, but i think the way kerberos are trying to cash in on them is disgraceful

Trying to earn money for something you make is disgraceful?

You must live in a land all your living expenses are provided for. Hence no need for jobs, no need to earn money. I'd like to live there.

I would have liked to have asked Trashman why the game excites him. I am genuinely curious. But I don't feel I could have that talk with him with the way this thread is, people would get in the way of it, and the mood has already been spoiled to have a pleasant conversation.

I'm more interested in the spin Kerberos will give it.
Looks like a fun and simple game, something I could play at work during a lul period - if it's anything like the Pit, it will be worth a few bucks.

But, just because I support Kerberos doesn't mean that every game they make automatically generates great interest with me.

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Lorric

I'm more interested in the spin Kerberos will give it.
Looks like a fun and simple game, something I could play at work during a lul period - if it's anything like the Pit, it will be worth a few bucks.

But, just because I support Kerberos doesn't mean that every game they make automatically generates great interest with me.
What do you mean by "the spin"? Are you perhaps talking about the presentation of the game, such as humour and story, or perhaps the nuts and bolts, the upgrades to the monsters and game mechanics and such?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Trying to earn money for something you make is disgraceful?

This is not a black and white subject; the question is more nuanced than this makes it out to be. I take great pride in my own current creative endeavors, but I do not seek to make money off them; not because my every need is provided for but because I am doing them as an amateur, releasing amateur work, surrounded by others doing the same, all of us for free. If someone wished to pay me for it I would refuse, because what I am doing is surrounded by other amateurs of similar quality. There is no reason I deserve payment for something that is surrounded by free alternatives of similar quality.

When I compared the look of this game to something released on Newgrounds, I was not making hyperbole; this is literally what it looks like to me, an amateur flash game. The Pit had similar issues, not just in appearance but in gameplay. They were/are small, cheap, amateur games that could have been replicated by a high school or college student as a year-long project; Newgrounds-quality games.

Is it shameful to charge money for work? Not necessarily, but if someone is attempting to charge for work when it falls below the threshold where a completely free alternative product is a very real possibility? That is shameful behavior.

EDIT: And because someone will ask why you should not ask or accept payment when it is free-quality work: while some might give money in the knowledge of what they are paying for, some will not. And you are effectively preying on the ignorance of the latter that they are paying for something they could have had for free.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 07:07:09 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
What do you mean by "the spin"? Are you perhaps talking about the presentation of the game, such as humour and story, or perhaps the nuts and bolts, the upgrades to the monsters and game mechanics and such?

Both. Kerb does both well.

SOTS did break many of the Sci-fi race stereotypes and had a detailed background and fresh gameplay.

Fort Zombie has a interesting presentation of the apocalypse and approach to survival.

Offline Lorric

Both. Kerb does both well.

SOTS did break many of the Sci-fi race stereotypes and had a detailed background and fresh gameplay.

Fort Zombie has a interesting presentation of the apocalypse and approach to survival.
Ah, I see. Thank you.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
This is not a black and white subject; the question is more nuanced than this makes it out to be. I take great pride in my own current creative endeavors, but I do not seek to make money off them; not because my every need is provided for but because I am doing them as an amateur, releasing amateur work, surrounded by others doing the same, all of us for free. If someone wished to pay me for it I would refuse, because what I am doing is surrounded by other amateurs of similar quality. There is no reason I deserve payment for something that is surrounded by free alternatives of similar quality.

Weather or not you wish to charge something for your work is your own decision.

Even if your work is not the highest of quality, even if there are others who will provide similar stuff for free - you do have the right to charge for your work, as long as it's yours. The existence of alternatives is irrelevant. Your work is your own, time and effort spent is your own.
And it merits compensation - especially if it's how you make your living.

Modding has "spoiled" some people into complaining and demanding everything for free, simply because there are talented modders/programers/artists who can make great stuff.

I see people selling their 3D models. Are they greedy and stupid people because I can find free 3D model repositories?

When I compared the look of this game to something released on Newgrounds, I was not making hyperbole; this is literally what it looks like to me, an amateur flash game. The Pit had similar issues, not just in appearance but in gameplay.

And because it's flash or simple it should be sold?
For you "Newgrounds quality" (or what you percieve to be anyway. I have no idea how the hell can you make such conclusion based on 2 screenshots) stuff MUST be free. Because it's simple.
And yet there is no logical reason for why it should be free, other than you want it to be.
Mind you, plenty of "newgrounds quality" games are actually for sale.

They were/are small, cheap, amateur games that could have been replicated by a high school or college student as a year-long project; Newgrounds-quality games.

Then go ahead and make a game like that. Put your money where your mouth is if you think even such a simple game is easy to make.

Is it shameful to charge money for work? Not necessarily, but if someone is attempting to charge for work when it falls below the threshold where a completely free alternative product is a very real possibility? That is shameful behavior.

It is not.
There will always be extreemly talented people who will make free stuff - because they can (for now).
By that logic, anyone who is below their quality is dishonest if he charges for his work.

The irony is that those same creators and programmers who make free stuff will move on to make commercial games. They will end up charging for it if they need money - which will happen once they leave school/college and have to actually earn their daily bread.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
(or what you percieve to be anyway. I have no idea how the hell can you make such conclusion based on 2 screenshots)

As far as I'm concerned, this is primarily my main issue with this particular game. They aren't really showing anything tangible enough to make an informed investment on

So from there, it only makes sense to draw precedence on quality from other games they've made, or to look at similar-as-possible alternatives to do the best you can in terms of information

In this case, flash games, a market known for being free to play, but subject to a great deal of ad revenue if you do it right.

All that is pointless to discuss since there's a video now which gives significantly more information

EDIT:
Should also note that the flash style makes sense for the fact its target audience is of and I quote:
"mobile video-game"
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 07:49:48 am by deathfun »
"No"

My main problem with their behaviour remains: mobile games are notably cheap to make. So are roguelikes (I mean christ, the best roguelikes are all open-source!). Yet Kerberos apparently need a big pile of crowdfunding money to make either (oh wow, I only noticed now that they were asking for $60k for The Pit, but when they only got $20k suddenly that was enough to make it).
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

JUST LOOK AT THE ANIMATIONS WHEN THE MONSTER KILLS THE BUILDING SO AMAZING SO HD I HAVE NO PC THAT CAN PLAY THIS OMG

Offline Lorric

JUST LOOK AT THE ANIMATIONS WHEN THE MONSTER KILLS THE BUILDING SO AMAZING SO HD I HAVE NO PC THAT CAN PLAY THIS OMG
What's your point Luis?

Offline Luis Dias

That these guys are so ****ing lazy that the best **** they have to "show off" of their gameplay is the ****tiest **** ever ****ted by any **** ever.

These guys must play WoW every single day and then they go "wow look at the time, don't we have some game to code or smth? Mike, heh, just put together smth for a video, k, like.." "man but this Mario game is so ****ing epic right now" "Oh **** yeah you're right nevermind we'll do this tomorrow"

I find it utterly hilarious that they need any amount of external investment at all to turn the 'pre-alpha' they have shown into the functional piece of trash they're proposing to make.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

It's even obscene when you compare the amount of "work" these guys can output with someone like Josh Parnell or ... ****, any other on Kickstarter! They're not even trying, scumbags who think it's so cool to have all the internets to pay their bills while they... do... what exactly? Because it's obvious they are not spending time and resources into making the game. What the hell are they doing with their time and kickstarter's money? Quakelive tournaments? What a life that must be.

Offline Lorric

Well, if it makes you feel any better, it doesn't look like their Kickstarter is going to succeed. The needle has barely moved since the OP. And a good bulk of that money is taken up by people going for the higher tier packages. Even Trashman is only interested because he essentially likes Kerberos' style rather than what has been presented in the Kickstarter and thinks it will be an amusing way to while away the dead time at work. So even he hasn't exactly given it a ringing endorsement.