Author Topic: Afterburners, or The Most Misleading Subject Ever  (Read 65910 times)

:necro:

No, check the Star Wars Wiki page, which distinctly says that S-Foils are used for heat dispersion, though they do help in atmo...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Yes, spreading out the fire points to a 3 dimensional area instead of a 2 dimensional one should increase hit percentages.

Also, looking at the interior of the X-Wing's S-Foils, you'll see a lot of exposed machinery, especially around the engines, hence the Heat dispersion factor.  Remember that in a vacuum, the only method of heat dispersion is via Radiation.  Convection and Conduction both need surrounding atmospheres to work, and thus the only way to decrease heat in a spaceship would be via having as much esposed area leading out into space and letting it bleed off (Though, the X-Wing's S-Foils wouldn't do that good of a job of it, the radiators would be better placed on the outside of the wings rather than inside, but hey, I'm defending artistic licence with science, it can't be perfect.)
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

I dunno, maybe the entire wing can disperse heat, and only some machinery shows to expedite the process (seeing as the machinery itself would heat up)...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Yes, spreading out the fire points to a 3 dimensional area instead of a 2 dimensional one should increase hit percentages.

Also, looking at the interior of the X-Wing's S-Foils, you'll see a lot of exposed machinery, especially around the engines, hence the Heat dispersion factor.  Remember that in a vacuum, the only method of heat dispersion is via Radiation.  Convection and Conduction both need surrounding atmospheres to work, and thus the only way to decrease heat in a spaceship would be via having as much esposed area leading out into space and letting it bleed off (Though, the X-Wing's S-Foils wouldn't do that good of a job of it, the radiators would be better placed on the outside of the wings rather than inside, but hey, I'm defending artistic licence with science, it can't be perfect.)

Too much physics. Way too much. ;)
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
What can I say? I'm a smart kiddo.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Too much physics. Way too much. ;)

Tell me, have you ever hung out on the BtRL forums?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Are you going to touch on the b-wings s-foils? That would be informative to the lamen. :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
and will you make the B-wing fly upright when it's s-foils are deployed, or will the cockpit still be sideways?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Not too sure about the B-Wing yet, one idea that was tossed around was using the animation code to have the B-Wing's body revolve around the cockpit as turns and banks are made, as was stated in its background fluff, but IIRC we were having some troubles with the fire points moving around too.

Offline aurora_energy

• Adrift in the never ending void
If you have ever played battlefront II then you will see every fighter including the dighters during the galactic empire all had some kind of bost which functioned in exactly the same way as a burner, and it has to recharge and everthing.
Imagine awakening, and hearing the heartbeat of the galaxy for the first time.
It is like a cloud, a mist that drifts from living creature to creature, set in motion by currents and eddies.
It is the eye of the storm, the passions of all living things turned into energy, into a chorus.
It is the rising swell at the end of life, the promise of new territories and new blood, the call of new mysteries in the dark.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
As a general reminder, we aren't using other star wars games as a basis for this engine.

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
I know empire at war isn't the most canon source, but in it you could order X-wings to close s-foils, and they became faster and couldn't fire.  And the boost in SWBF2 is just for gameplay.

me? Hippocrit? No
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline aurora_energy

• Adrift in the never ending void
What does it matter anyway? it will still be a awsome mod
Imagine awakening, and hearing the heartbeat of the galaxy for the first time.
It is like a cloud, a mist that drifts from living creature to creature, set in motion by currents and eddies.
It is the eye of the storm, the passions of all living things turned into energy, into a chorus.
It is the rising swell at the end of life, the promise of new territories and new blood, the call of new mysteries in the dark.

Damn, this sucks.

Fighting without afterburners is very annoying and boring.

Afterburners add tactile feedback and allow you to catch up to fleeing enemies.

Just try playing FS2 without afterburners.

Boring as hell.

Btw, NECROTHREDDAGEDDON
Just don't give away the homeworld...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If you're going to self necro do it right

:necro:

That said, as much as we don't want to be the previous Star Wars games, we also don't intend to be Freespace, and the combat in the previous SW games was just fine without afterburners.  If someone's faster than you, they're faster than you.  Deal with it.  Find a new tactic, turn around and see if they chase you, return to base and defend, etc.  It's not boring.  You think that an enemy with a faster ship shouldn't have the right to use that to their advantage and flee?  Besides, in FS, most of the ships were always using their afterburner too so I was still slower.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
There will be no afterburners in this mod.

There ya go, answer from chief and answer from me.

i honestly think that afterburners would be nice, but i definetly see your point. plus afterburners are for spoiled bratz that play too much freespace.  :P

if you ssay it'll be fine, i trust you.  :nod:
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
plus afterburners are for spoiled bratz that play too much freespace.  :P
So basically everyone on this forum is a spoiled bratz?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Spoiled by Freespace and its afterburners, yes, more than likely.  Maybe could use a nicer term though, like, unenlightened.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Snaga

I remember that when i played the x-wing series the only thing you could do to increase your speed was to redirect power to your engines, a feat that can also be used in FS. This came from the weapons, shields and tractor beam. It could be a significant increase of speed, especially if you had all 4 systems. also the AI didn't use that tactic to increase speed, so a slow ship could catch up with some faster ships.
That is the only thing I see that could be used to resemble an afterburner, unless the AI can be tweaked to use the power systems also to increase speed.
If, for instance, a Y-wing has a greater weapons system that an A-wing, it's speed with all power directed to the engines would have a higher increase in % than that ship, (note that I'm not talking necessarily about the actual speed). That can be easily set in the tables. So speeds could dramatically change depending on how much "power" we give to the other systems, changing completely the gameplay.  The possibilities are exiting. :nod: