Author Topic: Afterburners, or The Most Misleading Subject Ever  (Read 65907 times)

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I remember that when i played the x-wing series the only thing you could do to increase your speed was to redirect power to your engines, a feat that can also be used in FS.

Actually, redirecting power to the engines doesn't make you go faster, it only makes the afterburners charge up quicker! :P
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Shade

Wrong. It most definitely does make you faster.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah Wobble, seriously how'd you miss that one?  :)

The difference in max base speeds and max Oclk speeds will probably be much more noticeable than in FS, and energy management will likely be more necessary than in FS.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Shade

energy management will likely be more necessary than in FS
Just be careful not to overdo it ;) Energy management in FS is actually extremely important on harder difficulties, it's only when difficulty is set low that it can take a back seat role. So if you increase it's importance too much by reducing the energy output of the ships, you may make it impossible to play on the hardest settings.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
That was one thing I loved about the original X-Wing game, a combat run against a Capship really did require you putting everything you could into the forward fields, and then praying you had enough energy to shunt up the rear shields on the retreat :)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
...Energy management in FS is actually extremely important on harder difficulties...

Well, in SWC, it will be extremely important even on Medium. Medium < "harder difficultues". As a natural consequence of the result of this equation, and applying to FotG, it is reasonable to conclude that energy management will be more important in SWC than in FS.

Hope that helps. :P
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline aRaven

I remember that when i played the x-wing series the only thing you could do to increase your speed was to redirect power to your engines, a feat that can also be used in FS. This came from the weapons, shields and tractor beam. It could be a significant increase of speed, especially if you had all 4 systems. also the AI didn't use that tactic to increase speed, so a slow ship could catch up with some faster ships.

Not true. AI in XvsTIE and definitely XWA used that on top/superace.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Wrong. It most definitely does make you faster.

You know I never noticed that before?  :confused:  :nervous:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Maybe you spent too much time on afterburners to notice =P
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Umm, isn't the correct SW term "overdrive"?  I don't know if it's canon though.  But you can definitally assign more power to your engines for a speed boost, IIRC.  I think in SW, if I'm getting a correct read on this, the shields aren't all that hot on fighters, but they recharge pretty fast, unless they get damaged.  (which makes the decision on where to route your energy a critical one) Right?  Or not?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Lawl, now that could be funny, afterburners that cause a temporary full depletion of shields and/or weapons.  There could be some interesting things done with that.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Lawl, now that could be funny, afterburners that cause a temporary full depletion of shields and/or weapons.  There could be some interesting things done with that.

That could be pretty interesting.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
It could be interesting, but I dunno, it seems a bit too arcady for me, I mean there's no real reference of any sort that suggests such a thing.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
I have an  idea.  What if the afterburner fuel gauge became the beam weapon energy gauge?  I'd have to code a couple new table entries for weapons... something like $Fuel Consumed .  But that's not hard at all.

Then I guess I'd have to make a flag that made it so there is a fourth ETS bar for Engines, and replace the existing Engines one with Beam.  Slightly more complicated, but doable.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Or the three could be reworked to function more like the games, if only to eliminate the need for a 4th bar.  I mean how there was no engine power gauge, it was just known that it was the remainder of the other visible gauges.

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Right, yeah good idea.  There was a fourth bar visible but not controllable.  So I guess the flag needs to turn the existing bar (the one controlled with Pageup/Pagedown) into what recharges the 'burners' (or beams) but NOT the engine overclock.  And then the new engine bar is just what is 'left over'.

This way we don't have to add new controls either. :yes:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Umm, in the books anyways, you basically decided whether to throw your energy at the shields or engines or balance.  If you're going full engines, you have better speed, but can only survive a shot or two.  (Read: Luke escaping from Thrawn's ISD tractor beam.)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Well for the most part star wars ships are pretty vulnerable regardless.  If you watch the movies most of the fighters go down in only a few hits anyways.  The rebel advantage is a couple extra shots in, which could be pretty important in the gameplay we're planning to model.

Remember, our mod is trying to focus on the ability to avoid fire rather than absorb it.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
So how are you handling capital shielding, then? Will capships be harder to take down?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I remember that when i played the x-wing series the only thing you could do to increase your speed was to redirect power to your engines, a feat that can also be used in FS.

Actually, redirecting power to the engines doesn't make you go faster, it only makes the afterburners charge up quicker! :P

This is dependant on the ships in FS, only the Bakha and Artemis/Artemis D.H. do it this way. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story