Author Topic: A new Hope discovery  (Read 9842 times)

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
A new Hope discovery
Iwas reading the book of a new hope, by  george lucas, and originally the emperor wasn't a sith, he was a puppet being controlled by the bureaucrats.  I thought that was interesting to see how much it changed between the movies
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: A new Hope discovery
Was it an early plan or considered canon?

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Well the novels are canon as long as they don't contradict the movies.  In this case it could be a contradiction, or perhaps simply a perception that the emperor purveyed to keep a low-ish profile.

I just re-read the books as well, hehe.  Interesting to note, however, that Darth Vader is specifically mentioned as "One of the many Dark Lords" which definitely seems to contradict the movies.

Odd considering that the book very explicitely mentions that Vader considers himself still the last of the Jedi, as do other high ranking imperials. 
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Wasn't Darth Maul a Dark Lord?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Wasn't Darth Maul a Dark Lord?
Yeh but he's dead... And AFAIK he was a Sith apprentice.

I assume it either means the the other deceased Dark Lords, or the Emperor's Hand(s), but they're not Dark Lords...

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Plus Darth Maul was kept a secret.  He was a full sith lord though, but it was mentioned that of all the Dark Lords, Vader was the most willing to ignore the law (Hence Leia's line "Only you would be so bold")

The multiple Dark Lords comment was put in a very contemporary sense though, it sounded as if he was one of many who served the empire at once, rather than successors.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

I hate retcon.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I hate retcon.
Ehh, I like Palpatine being all evil and Dark Sidish. If he was just some random Cos Da**** dude I wouldn't be very pleased. The most evil bad guy of Star Wars would be like, Bush, which isn't all that hot an idea.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
The prologue in the book version of A New Hope is supposed to be a piece of history text called "Journal of the Whills", which were supposed to be some kind of tranccendental species of beings (kinda like hyperintelligent shade of blue) that were supposedly closely related to the Force and lived kinda on another plane of existence just connected to the galaxy far far away universe via the Force.

A lot of things changed from the earliest ideas to the abhorrent display of greed and indifference that was the prequel trilogy. The Whills were dropped out pretty much completely (aside from a comment from Qui-Gon's spirit to Yoda - apparently the Whills were the ones who discovered how to join the Force without losing one's individuality), and Force was de-mystified via midi-chlorians at some stage of plot developement - it was originally supposed to be a lot more spiritual than what it ended up as... Lightsabers were supposed to be really heavy, Skywalker was supposed to be Starkiller, and Han was supposed to shoot first. Palpatine, I guess, changed just as well, from a puppet ruler into a manipulating tyrant.

Ironically, I think the story behind Palpatine became better for the changes they made in that regard. It's definitely a plot change too - if it were an ordinary history text in the prologue, I'd chalk it into a misconception of history but due to being a quote from this "Journal of the Whills" it's supposed to be accurate... therefore it's just one more thing that was changed.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Starkiller becoming Skywalker and Palpatine becoming more evil are the only changes from the original plans I really like (in both the prequels and the originals). However cool wielding 2 lightsabers at once was, I didn't like it.

Lightsabers were supposed to be really heavy, Skywalker was supposed to be Starkiller, and Han was supposed to shoot first.
I just find that hilarious :lol:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Heh, a bureaucrat-controlled, lightning-casting puppet?  :lol:

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Starkiller becoming Skywalker and Palpatine becoming more evil are the only changes from the original plans I really like (in both the prequels and the originals). However cool wielding 2 lightsabers at once was, I didn't like it.

Jedi or not, there shouldn't have been many who could handle that. The lightsaber combat was modeled on kendo which is the sport version of kenjutsu, the name of samurai swordsmanship.

There were samurai who could wield two swords (or more likely a katana and wakizashi) and their technique or school of techniques was called nitōjutsu but they were rare and far between. Their most prominent member is Miyamoto Musashi the stuff of legends, the most famous swordsman in Japan.

The downside of wielding two swords is that the strikes lack strength and speed compared to a blade wielded by both hands.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I believe that true Jedi masters like Palpatine and Yoda should have ascended so far into the upper echelons of the Force that they no longer had any need for lightsabers.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

What they gonna do? Rip apart bodies with their hands?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The downside of wielding two swords is that the strikes lack strength and speed compared to a blade wielded by both hands.

Actually, I think that's the whole point of wielding two blades.  You get to the point wielding so much strength that it is wasted on dual-handing one blade, and it then becomes more effective to wield two, as you wield them each with the strength of someone else wielding one with both hands.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Mmmh... one hand grip rather reduces the moment of the force available to use for, say, stopping the enemy's weapon or forcing/deflecting it to some arbitrary direction. Also the amount of control over the blade is reduced for the same reasons, but that can be compensated with training. Cutting power depends more on the velocity of the blade than the momentum available at the moment of the hit, so for swords primarily used for slashing (or just beating the opponent senseless) it does kinda increase the offensive capacity - especially against lightly armoured or non-armoured enemies - but also reduces defensive capability and demands greater skill to evade rather than parry attacks...

With light sabers, I daresay that the momentum behind the strike matters even less than with solid blade weapons, as far as damage potential is considered.

Also, stabbing or thrusting attacks become rather difficult without two hands on the grip. I myself would take a jō over almost any kind of sword any time of day... the exception being a lightsaber. :p
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki

Q.E.D.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
They'll rip bodies apart with the force. :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Topgun

Q.E.D.
Now, at the end, do you truly understand...