It's been a few months since our last official forum update, so all of us at Fate of the Galaxy want to share what we have been working on this past summer. Progress Highlights
- Added more work into Project Alderaan.
- Added new nebulas which take advantage of the new options that Asteroth coded.
- Added more information to our custom FotG FRED docs and FotG Game Manual.
- Updated many aspects to be more optimized, including shield meshes and scripts (huge thanks to Lafiel for determining what was causing slowdowns and proposing ways to fix it). Also many SCP updates have optimized the engine as well, which in total allows us to run massive, BoE style missions with high graphics on at smooth 60 FPS. Don't worry though if you do not have a dedicated graphics card, as turning the high graphics options off you can still run things smoothly even in large missions (tested on laptop with integrated graphics).
- Added 'Republic' faction, which makes it easier to view certain ships in the Lab Viewer and makes FREDing with Republic ships a bit easier.
- Updated cockpits to work better with shadows (thanks again to Lafiel for that code!).
- Updated AO maps for various ships, along with radar icons, LODs, and other small aspects.
- Updated main halls with more stylized backgrounds and added a new coat of paint to the UI.
- Updated Home One, CR 90, Rayter, Liberty, and Carrack with glow map enhanced thrustsers, similar to the ISD.
- Updated and prepared for multiplayer possibilities. This includes ensuring only multi stable features of the game work in multi and adding coop, dogfight, and TvT missions.
- Updated more standalone missions.
- Fixed multitude of bugs too long to list here.
We also would like to highlight all the fantastic work continually being done with the FSO engine and SCP folks. That team has added new SEXPs, FRED and nebula options, AI behaviours, bug fixes and optimizations, and many other enhancements which FotG takes full advantage of. Cyborg and Taylor continue to keep pushing work on multiplayer code forward, and all of us are very appreciative of their fantastic work.Moving Forward
For folks who want to see a bit more frequent FotG updates, feel free to join our Discord channel where we tend to post most of our informal updates: https://discord.gg/k7ZMdmt
As always, thank you all for your support and enthusiasm! Ultimately, we are nearing the final milestones for a public release. Once we have all the final content implemented and polishing completed, we will be extremely excited to share the game with everyone. In the meantime, here are some new shots of the updated Nebula settings. May the Force be with you!