Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305201 times)

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Anime...

(Almost) one-shot MLA Total Eclipse with available time.

Entertained me enough; the lull in middle of the series was a bit... too long for me though. And maybe the animation budget was spent too much in some ways and too little in others? Some of the 2D frames gave off a certain "overworked animators rushing to meet the deadline" feeling to me, though I didn't care for it too much at the time while rushing through it...

The only problem for me, the MLA universe as a whole is just so crapsack. but then this is fiction, there's countless other stories and works of art out there that's definitely waaaaaaay more crapsack anyway... Like maybe EVE or even WH40K (just to name a few quick examples ad-hoc since sleep is calling) or whatever something else that likely I'll never have heard of...

Oh wait. I just remembered. FreeSpace is just as crapsack, the cog-in-the-machine portrayal just makes it less obvious. Damn! :banghead:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Just finished that arc of Black Lagoon.  Y'know, the one with the twins.

I'm just...gonna go take 50 showers now.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Just finished that arc of Black Lagoon.  Y'know, the one with the twins.

I'm just...gonna go take 50 showers now.

I think all I remember of that is the scene (don't remember it correctly) where the bar gets shot up by a BAR...

Oh hey, coincidental word play.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
anyone know of any good legal anime streaming services with English language options?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Define "legal". There's a huge grey zone when it comes to unlicensed shows, where it's not really illegal but it's still piracy. I guess Crunchyroll and Funimation are good sites for free legal streaming if you happen to live in North America. Otherwise you're boned.
Also, if by "in English" you meant dubbed then you're **** out of luck. Since dubbing isn't exactly free you're probably going to have to buy the DVD/Bluray to watch anime dubbed.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Some licensors post shows, or at least a sampling of episodes, in English on their official YouTube channels, as well as Hulu.  FUNimation has a premium subscription service that I think gives access to most of their dubbed catalog.  As far as I'm aware, Crunchyroll hosts exclusively-subtitled content.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
hmmmm certainly worth looking into
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I personally use KissAnime, which sometimes has dubs (but predominantly subs).  I've been watching GitS in dub there.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well he did specify "legal." :p

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Well he did specify "legal." :p
its them breaking it for hosting, not yours for watching technically :p
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Regardless, said sites remain illegal.  I won't cast any judgements on people using them, because I can hardly deny having visited them myself, but let's keep the details of such off HLP, shall we?

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I guess Crunchyroll and Funimation are good sites for free legal streaming if you happen to live in North America. Otherwise you're boned.
You can watch at least some stuff on Crunchyroll if you're not in North America, I believe. I'm in Australia and I was able to watch Girls und Panzer fine.

Unless a show is popular enough to get simulcast, there's really no truly legal way to watch currently airing shows. Fansubs are your only option and those are in a legal grey zone. Though most people worry about morality rather than legality, as you're most likely not going to get arrested for consuming pirated content.

its them breaking it for hosting, not yours for watching technically :p

Most illegal streaming sites make you agree to acknowledge that what you're doing is illegal in their ToS (you know, that huge wall of text that you never read yet still agreed to follow). If they just put the content out there without telling people it's pirated then you'd be right.

Some licensors post shows, or at least a sampling of episodes, in English on their official YouTube channels, as well as Hulu.
It's worth noting that said Youtube channels are region locked most of the time too, but it's always worth trying as some series are unlocked. As Moongose said though, it's only a demo consisting of 3-5 episodes, not a way to watch the whole show.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:31:49 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Crunchyroll has surpisingly lot of content even for non-US visitors. Some licensing agreements are not renewed and this leads to removal of the series from Crunchyroll. But still, it's one of the very few legal ways to watch subbed/dubbed anime outside US.

Offline Lorric

Crunchyroll has surpisingly lot of content even for non-US visitors. Some licensing agreements are not renewed and this leads to removal of the series from Crunchyroll. But still, it's one of the very few legal ways to watch subbed/dubbed anime outside US.
Interesting. I think this is the first time I've heard of it. Definitely bookmarking this to check out sometime. :)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Unless a show is popular enough to get simulcast, there's really no truly legal way to watch currently airing shows. Fansubs are your only option and those are in a legal grey zone. Though most people worry about morality rather than legality, as you're most likely not going to get arrested for consuming pirated content.
Actually, with the growth of Crunchyroll and distributors' own streaming options, the vast majority of series airing in a given season wind up being legally streamed these days.  Granted, that's with the caveat of possible region-locking, so your mileage may vary depending on where you live (or at least what your IP address says, wink wink nudge nudge).

Well, using proxies to fake your IP is illegal and against Crunchyroll's ToS. So you can watch it on Crunchyroll in 480p by using a proxy, or just watch it anywhere else in full HD. It's illegal anyway, so you might as well get the best quality.

And compare http://www.crunchyroll.com/lineup to http://anichart.net/summer

Crunchyroll simulcasts 22 series out of the 141 airing this season.
Don't get me wrong, 22 series per season is a lot compared to a few years ago and you'll most likely end up watching <20 series per season anyway, especially if you have a backlog.
That said I wouldn't really agree that 22/141 is a vast majority.

EDIT: Yeah, counting is difficult. It's actually only 45 shows.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 04:46:54 am by FrikgFeek »

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Even with Crunchyroll, Comcast makes my viewing experience miserable. A part of my Crunchyroll routine is resetting the router or temporarily switching IPs between my old (and broken router) and current router so I can get something that actually moves on screen instead of waiting for a little set of circles in a circle waiting for **** to load.

What I've been watching: Gundam, lots of it from the UC timeline, and Gundam Unicorn. Also following JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Hunter x Hunter, and finished Mushishi.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Crunchyroll simulcasts 22 series out of the 141 airing this season.
Don't get me wrong, 22 series per season is a lot compared to a few years ago and you'll most likely end up watching <20 series per season anyway, especially if you have a backlog.
That said I wouldn't really agree that 22/141 is a vast majority.
...where are you getting 141 there?  I'm seeing 36 newly-premiering shows, along with 9 continuing from the previous season.  So if the number is 22 out of 36 just on Crunchyroll, and not counting other streamers like FUNi, I'd say that's pretty good.  Honestly it's a moot point for me personally, because I can count on one hand the total number of shows I've ever watched while currently airing in Japan.

...where are you getting 141 there?

I think I counted the shows, then confused that number for lines, multiplied it by 4 and then deducted 3 as the last line has only 1 show in it.
Anyyyway, 22 on Crunchyroll includes leftovers and super long running shounen which aren't even mentioned on anichart.
Still, 22/45 isn't a vast majority, but at least it is a majority.