Author Topic: Borderlands?  (Read 3878 times)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
So, I got a free Borderlands 2 coupon with my vid card.  I intend to use it, but should I play the first one first?  Are they related at all story wise/is the first worth $30?  I'm not much into multiplayer, though I might give the co-op a shot if there's anyone left still playing it other than morons and hackers.  I've seen a few reviews saying the PC port sucks and single player is boring, but not TOO many. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've had several acquaintances say the first game was a ton of fun, at least in co-op.  It sounds like the sort of thing that works best if you can find a friend or two.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the first game was tons of fun, right up until the lack of an ending.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

More than a few people on HLP play, and aside from Hades and maybe 0rph3u5 none of us could be considered morons. :P  Save hackers like Astronomiya and I, but not morons. :P  We do not cheat when playing with people who do not cheat, so don't worry about me showing up with a maxed-level Hunter and sniping everything from a mile away with a perfectly-steady Keen Sniper Rifle of Flame +5.  Astronomiya, Commander Zane, Scotty, Ravenholme, BritishShivans, Hades, 0rph3u5, Valathil, and I all have BL1, but that's just the people who have offered to co-op with me.  Our availability and willingness to play may vary by region and level of give-a-damn.

And yes, co-op is great.  SP is about as average as single-player Diablo, but like Diablo MP is a blast as you and up to three friends murder your way across the planet.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
So, I got a free Borderlands 2 coupon with my vid card.  I intend to use it, but should I play the first one first?  Are they related at all story wise/is the first worth $30?  I'm not much into multiplayer, though I might give the co-op a shot if there's anyone left still playing it other than morons and hackers.  I've seen a few reviews saying the PC port sucks and single player is boring, but not TOO many. 

Borderlands isn't "required reading" as far as I get what Gearbox has been putting out ... as it hasn't got much of story to speak of (see spoiler below)
Spoiler:
There is an Alien Vault somewhere on the planet and you want what is inside ... quests are like pearls on a string to finally guide you there ...

Single Player in Borderlands was a grind for levels and guns in rather repetetive envoirments ... but coop is where the fun is, as it plays much more smoothly if not all monsters are intend on killing just you
Expect part two to be no different

More than a few people on HLP play, and aside from Hades and maybe 0rph3u5 none of us could be considered morons. :P 

How did I earn "maybe moron"?

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 03:59:12 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Er, I don't really know to be honest.  It just sort of sprung into my head somehow.  I have this vague feeling that you left some repeated very poor-quality posts somewhere I saw them. :blah:
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft

I'll play it with you
Get Hamachi and we'll set up a lan (because er... you can probably guess)
"No"

Borderlands doesn't do any sort of validation for game clients.  If I recall correctly it doesn't even have a serial check during installation.  So yeah, you probably don't need Hamachi. :P

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

have you ever posted a conservative viewpoint? 

anywho, one more question.  is the co-op a story-mode kind of thing, or is it just a get in a group and kill all the things kind of thing?  i wouldn't enjoy the latter any more (probably less) than ordinary multiplayer (a grand total of 3 games i've ever actually enjoyed playing multi come to mind), and it sounds like there's nothing much worth $20/30 in single player.  i'm thinking i'll probably just stick with the free one.

oh, and i have no idea what hamachi is, or anything sparda said.  never played diablo either.

Actually, I'm on the right wing of politics myself, so no that doesn't have anything to do with it. :p

Co-op is the singleplayer campaign and all assorted side quests, just with friends.  Progress in one mode carries over to another since the same character is used for both modes.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

I'm a member of a left wing party...

But I guess I know what Sparda is refering too (Come one you can't hold anyone's post on the WoD board against them ;))
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft

anywho, one more question.  is the co-op a story-mode kind of thing, or is it just a get in a group and kill all the things kind of thing?  i wouldn't enjoy the latter any more (probably less) than ordinary multiplayer (a grand total of 3 games i've ever actually enjoyed playing multi come to mind), and it sounds like there's nothing much worth $20/30 in single player.  i'm thinking i'll probably just stick with the free one.

oh, and i have no idea what hamachi is, or anything sparda said.  never played diablo either.

Hamachi is a program that creates a VPN which allows for LAN play for computers completely opposite to one another
"No"

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
can you not play over the internet normally?

I think he's trying to insinuate that his copy of Borderlands may not be completely legal in its form of acquisition, to which I replied that Borderlands MP doesn't care how you acquired your copy and will run fine regardless.  I'm speaking from experience when I had a pirated copy of Borderlands (but I don't now).

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Get Hamachi

NO.

Damn it, people.  Don't start spreading the use of VPNs for multiplayer games.  It's freaking stupid.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
I think he's trying to insinuate that his copy of Borderlands may not be completely legal in its form of acquisition, to which I replied that Borderlands MP doesn't care how you acquired your copy and will run fine regardless.  I'm speaking from experience when I had a pirated copy of Borderlands (but I don't now).

No, but you need a Gamespy ID
Which I didn't have and didn't feel like getting at the time
But that's good to know

Get Hamachi

NO.

Damn it, people.  Don't start spreading the use of VPNs for multiplayer games.  It's freaking stupid.

It has it's uses. Not everyone can simply play multiplayer... normally
"No"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
They can if they actually buy the damn game instead of being cheap about it. :p

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Get Hamachi

NO.

It's still useful for old games whose original game servers are long down.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

I actually have issues with port forwarding that Hamachi helps me circumvent nicely.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Get Hamachi

NO.

It's still useful for old games whose original game servers are long down.

I actually have issues with port forwarding that Hamachi helps me circumvent nicely.

There are better solutions to both of those problems.  Not to mention safer ones.