Author Topic: Ancients and their shields  (Read 4226 times)

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Ancients and their shields
Why have they got them? A thought struck me last night and I checked the AF Kato model. She has shields.

WHY??

We are told that the Ancients don't have shield technology, mainly because they're whining about how they can't penetrate the shields of the Shivans.

If they HAD shield tech, then they'd know how to penetrate with weapons and they may not have died!

Sorry, rant over....
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
The Ancient fighters have shield meshes, but we don't use them. All Ancient fighters and bombers are shieldless in Inferno.

Offline Killfrenzy

• Randomly Existing
Oh......

*Slithers away*
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
------------

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Wasn't that just the Lucifer, though? I'm sure they were pretty much up to (if not above) the level of technology the GTVA has - they built the Knossos, they developed subspace sensors, etc. They could track the Lucifer through subspace, but they didn't have any ships left to attack it with when it came after them....

EDIT: oops. Too late again. Ignore me!/EDIT
« Last Edit: August 17, 2003, 12:55:30 pm by 853 »
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline Killfrenzy

• Randomly Existing
No, not just the Lucy. It's not specific enough the statement:

"In Subspace they cannot use their shields."

It suggests that they're talking in general, not just about the Lucifer.

They may have had higher tech than the GTVA, but we still had to pinch shield tech off the Shivans in the first place!

Maybe the Ancients were too complacent?
------------

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Hmm. That's how I read into it - that monologue thingy tied in with the "Oh damn, we can't touch Lucy 'cos it's shields are too good" thing in the game. Guess I just interpreted it differently. Oh well...
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I think the ancients and shields somehow don't match. I don't know if they were rather a 'spreading in hide' or 'spreading by conquering'-class species. But as I belive, they certainly had no enemies previously, so they had no reason why to develop shields. The GTA and the PVN hadn't had shields before they stole the Shivan containers. So why would the ancients develop shields?

If the ancients had had enemies before the Shivans, the GTVA would have discovered more artifacts not only from the ancients.
Damn! Is the sentence above a good conditional and past perfect mixture? :)
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Well, you have to think about one paragraph in one of the Ancients Monologues:

"We could fore go one system, we left it to the destroyers and went else where, But they followed us."

Sounds like the Ancients are a bit thick skulled...

"Oh boy! A new race to conquer!" *ancients capital ship is vaporised by the Lucifer* "...Uh...Look over there!" *Lucifer turns around* *Ancients escape the system* "Hmmm...Hey Carl...I don't see anything...hey...WHERE'D THEY GO?!?!"

...Or somethin' like that...

*looks at the people looking at him oddly*

*points to something behind the people*

Oh look! A puppy!

*people look away*

*Cor runs*

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Corhellion
....."We could fore go one system, we left it to the destroyers and went else where, But they followed us."

Sounds like the Ancients are a bit thick skulled...

"Oh boy! A new race to conquer!" *ancients capital ship is vaporised by the Lucifer* "...Uh...Look over there!" *Lucifer turns around* *Ancients escape the system* "Hmmm...Hey Carl...I don't see anything...hey...WHERE'D THEY GO?!?!"

...Or somethin' like that...

*looks at the people looking at him oddly*

*points to something behind the people*

Oh look! A puppy!

*people look away*

*Cor runs*

Despite they were easily defeated by the Shivans, it is possible that they were conquerous species, the question is just that who were their enemy before the Shivans? :D

Have I told this: The ancients were SURELY a conquerous species??? No. So, shut up, I haven't told anything certain. :ha:

If you read my post intensively(the previous one), you can discover that I haven't stated that the ancients spreaded their empire by warring another species. Because the GTVA would have discovered more remnants, not only from the ancients.
[/b]

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
Doesn't one of the first monologues say about them expanding their empire and conquering other species before they met the Shivans?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
It's been a long I have player FS1 and listened to the the cutscenes. Time to refresh my FS1 knowledge ... but not now.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I think that the Ancients' conquering was more of lower races than technologically equivalent ones.  I mean, the monologues from FS1 doesn't seem like they had wars, but rather more like that they enslaved any sentient race that they came across when building their empire.  It is also possible that they developed technology in a different concentration than the GTVA; with the Unification wars (or whatever was supposed to precede the T-V war), the Terran-Vasudan war, and the Shivan invasion, humans (and vasudans) would have had a much more pressing need to develop military technology quickly; facing lesser enemies (or enslaving those who could not fight back) left the ancients ill-prepared to deal with the shivans when they arrived.

And I vote no, they should not have had shields :p
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

You people worry too much about canon than you do about gameplay.   If the ancients have no shields, they will be virtually worthless as allies.  Likewise, If they are hostile they will melt under the powerful weaponry of the allied arsenal.  So stop the whining and make the campaign a good one. Dammit :mad:
Watching from the background since 17 April 2002.

Offline Killfrenzy

• Randomly Existing
Just up their hull hitpoints then. Yeesh....
------------

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by killadonuts
You people worry too much about canon than you do about gameplay.   If the ancients have no shields, they will be virtually worthless as allies.  Likewise, If they are hostile they will melt under the powerful weaponry of the allied arsenal.  So stop the whining and make the campaign a good one. Dammit :mad:

I also voted no, perhaps to balance the gameplay, the Ancients would have more powerful weaponry, same power as the kaysers, or Prom S+, and lower energy requirement.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
No Sheilds, lots of hull armor!
The Shivans were the only race with sheilds (the GTVA stole it off them), so instead they would fill the ships up with armor.

This would be balanced by the Ancients having powerfull weaponry and superb speed (the "mighty beams of the GTVA" cant melt that which is too fast to hit:D!)

The idea of the Ancients lacking shields adds a unique race to the Freespace universe, and allows the Inferno team to experiment with different ways of balancing races.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by killadonuts

Wrong. The Ancients are very fast and have very powerful weapons--the Scythe cannon blasts through shields and armor in no time and the Quasar is like a hot knife through butter when it comes to armor--about twice the damage of the Maxim IIRC). Despite their shields, Ancient fighters and bombers take quite a long time to die because they have sooooooo many hitpoints (1000 for the Kato, which is damn near impossible to hit; around 6000 for the Zakros; and an insane 12500 for the 120m wide Satyr bomber, which can reach 95 m/s without AB and turn almost as quickly (if not more quickly) than the Ennead PLUS it has 12 gun points and a beam turret). Ancients are dangerous foes.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Yeah they have lots of HP, otherwise they're cannon fodder for the hastor and Ripper cannons.
The Kato is nasty, can keep a wing of Gorgons at bay, and can outrun most GTVA fighters.
Ancient weapons are as strong or probably stronger than the players own, though you won't see many fighters with the Scyth for balance reasons :D

mighty beams of the GTVA" cant melt that which is too fast to hit

The Gordia can actually dodge beams sometimes since its quite fast :)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
How is a simple, small fighter supposed to have that great amount of hitpoints? It is too unrealistic and is an exegeneration. In real life, an insect flies directly into your fighter and you die. :eek2:

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Very good armour :p

I don't want the Ancient ships dieing after a few hits.