Author Topic: From my madness comes a campaign!  (Read 2693 times)

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
From my madness comes a campaign!
Greetings Inferno World :D

I've just returned from a holiday in Cornwall, and during it, i was scribbling like mad on a clipboard full of paper (i'm mad, i confess :() anyway, from that notepad, i've come up with plans for an alternate universe campaign using the Inferno MOD.

Called "Doors of destiny", it follows the story of a Terran, Vesudan and Shivan alliance as its finally torn apart after 65 years of civil war against the HoL, pirates and a mysterious splinter group called the Earth Alliance.

But, the EA have stumbled upon somthing that could change everything, and force the now disbanded alliance to look at itself in the mirror.

A darkness has returned, one that is older than the Terrans, older than the Vesudans, one that even the Shivans fear:wtf:.

Will the Alliance rise from the ashes?...
...or will the seperated races be anihallated one by one?

Any comments, suggestions or thoughts are welcome.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Well, though it's just my opinion, I'm personally against any sort of Shivan Alliance, alternate universe notwithstanding. Your call though I suppose.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline T-Man

I know what ya mean black wolf. The idea of the Terrans allying with the Shivans is a rather wierd one:sigh:.

Fortunatley, i've changed their story slightly to balance this;). Their empire is much weaker, the largest ship in their fleet being the Lucifer, and their not fully allies, the GTVA arn't alowed into their space (which only consists of three systems) and they rarely deploy forces to assist their "allies" unless it's a dire emergancy.

They're kinda like the Vorlons on B5. Old, wisdomic, isolationist, scarred that younger races will take their technology and use it for themselves:nervous:.

To reveal more would give the story away, but i assure you, the Shivans are not a super-empire in this alternate universe. They have no juggernaughts, no bloodthirsty intentions...
...and most importantly, NO GARGANT!!!!!!:ha:

However, if it would really please most people, and since the alliance is broken during the start of the campaign, i suppose the Shivan Collective would be willing to overlook the loss of some of their ships to the might of the Terrans :devil:...
...Why would they overlook it?...
...now that would be telling :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2003, 02:54:18 am by 1306 »

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
You're batty (We Americans say "crazy".)!  I understand the point from where you're engendering this idea, but it's just notwithstanding.  You should completely understand what Volition intended in the first place in order to create a campaign.  You're just bringing everything into existence in a plot that makes little (in your case, no) sense.  Your storyline should always follow these boundaries:

1. The Shivans are your arch-enemy.  We know little about them and are at a stage of constant warfare.
2. The Terrans are very political and parsimonious.
3. The Vasudans are very superstitious.
4. The HoL and NTF are dead and are never coming back.
5. The fan-made campaigns have been integrated into the Freespace canon: 1. Derelict, 2. Inferno
6. The Ancients are annihlated (spelling?) by the Shivans 8000 years back.  Inferno brings them back with no shields.
7. Shivans do not inhabit planets.  They live in an environment free of atmosphere and gravitational forces.

There!  Follow these guidelines and you'll be fine. ;)

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
« Last Edit: August 25, 2003, 01:37:22 pm by 153 »
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline T-Man

Good points, well presented
Maybe your right:sigh:.

I do intend to do some Inferno missions based on the campaign:nod:.

In fact, i have an interesting one planned involving an Odin-class super destroyer, the SOC, and the Cappella system (Odin's can use unstable jump nodes, Ya :D).

As for "Doors of destiny" well, i'll probably sideline it for now:(, Maybe one day i'll reveal the whole storyline, then i wont sound to silly:).

By the way, in case you've got the wrong idea, i have played Freespace 1 and 2 (i've completed FS2 at least six times) I know the Shivans are the bad guys.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2003, 01:39:59 pm by 1306 »

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
*disagrees with everything Rampage said, but there are certain guidelines that are more or less obvious.

oh wait, the NTF and HoL shouldn't come back... at least not under the same name/reasons/etc. Example: The South was defeated in the American Civil War, but we still have an obscene amount of racist red necks about.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Rampage
1. The Shivans are your arch-enemy.  We know little about them and are at a stage of constant warfare.
2. The Terrans are very political and parsimonious.
3. The Vasudans are very superstitious.
4. The HoL and NTF are dead and are never coming back.
5. The fan-made campaigns have been integrated into the Freespace canon: 1. Derelict, 2. Inferno
6. The Ancients are annihlated (spelling?) by the Shivans 8000 years back.  Inferno brings them back with no shields.
7. Shivans do not inhabit planets.  They live in an environment free of atmosphere and gravitational forces.

1. Yes with 99% certainty.
2. Well, Terrans are ... us. We can cover a wide range of emotions, personal and cultural idiosyncrasies etc. Terrans are the ultimate wildcard.
3. There's more to the Vasudan ethos than that. Think about the kamikaze tactics, their quantity over quality priority set, etc. etc. There's also info about them in the FS bible and both tech rooms that gives a more broad view of them
4. The HoL spiritual leaders escaped, and could theoretically bring the cult back. The NTF leaders were destroyed or captured, but as far as we know, the underlying problems that caused the populace of Polaris et. al to revolt in the first place may not have been fixed, so it's entirely possible it could resurface.
5. Big no no. Some people can choose to follow derelict and inferno. Many others do not. In fact, Derelict and Inferno would utterly screw up the timelines for a lot of capaigns. They are not canon. Canon is The FS reference Bible, FS1, FS2 and Silent Threat. Essentially, anything made by V. how many times does this have to be said?
6. I don't get this - if the ancients were annihilated, and Inferno brings them back, then they weren't really annihilated at all (in Inferno's timeline anyway). Personally, I believe V were intending to have had the ancients dead and buried, but that's my belief. FS2 says they're extinct, they're extinct (However, The Coelacanth was extinct to, so there's always a possibility I suppose.)
7. Probably, 99% certainty.

Essentially, don't try to make sweeping statements about the future of the FS universe. It'll just get a lot of peeople pissed off at you.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline T-Man

Trying to decide whether things fit or not can cuase such a headache.

Luckily, i've put DoD in an alternate Universe, so in theory, i doesent have to follow any storyline at all, as long as i keep it realistic. I am NOT having shivans dancing around smelling flowers. The Shivans in DoD are Warriors, Klingon-style.

Good on you - don't listen to those who think campaigns should follow canon (I really hate that word). But equally, you'll have to put in a lot of effort to make something this outrageous work well, so don't blame them if everyone decries it as silly crap. Good luck with it. ;)

Offline T-Man

I'll be carefull when creating the DoD campaign, thanks Sid. I don't mind people saying it's crap when they play it, people are allowed thier veiws.

But for now, i'm planning another smaller campaign that IS based in the Inferno Universe, and i hope people will like the idea of it more.

It's called "Operation: Devilstone" And it follows the story of the GTSD Excalibur, a Odin-class super destroyer with a brave crew that have signed up for an SOC suicide mission.

The Objective is simple: Use the Odin's special subspace technology to reach Capella through the unstable node in Epsilon Pegasi, and stealthily study Shivan activity in a system where they don't expect enemy forces to exist.

And, if discovered, destroy targets of oppitunity of course ;) (Their not sending a Super-Destroyer for nothing ya know!)

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
i have played Freespace 1 and 2 (i've completed FS2 at least six times)

Only six times?