Author Topic: INF Dev Shots  (Read 15933 times)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Basically a thread to show off misc stuff.

Selket shine mapped

Cutscenes:

Updated intro

Early test shots of next cutscene

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP

First attempt at turning the cutscene planet into a FS2 bg, just in case we can't use the Earth model once HT&L is back in the INF exes.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
You'd have to use the 32-bit tag to get rid of the banding, though, eh?  Oh well, it is awesome. Truly stunning.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Can't use 32 bit as it shouldn't be in the INF exes yet.

IIRC in DX there's a 30km rendering limit and in OGL it's 100km, so in standard HT&L exes the Gargant and Earth models won't work in DX and the Earth model won't work in OGL.
(last time I checked those where the limits anyway)

Once HT&L is re-enables in the INF exes, both limits will be 100km

The Earth model is real size so blows the limit away :D

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Does this limit cause knossos 3 to be invisible in the main campaign?  Just thinking there is some kind of bug happening there if that's the case.  Not that it has anything to do with this thread.

And Woo, that Earth is amazing.  Desolate and overpopulated, just like I'd have expected it to be.  Banding or no banding, I'd say leave this as the earth image, unless at some point you intend to blow it up.  Also, couldn't Earth be inserted into a background POF instead of putting it in mission?  Seems like that would take care of the distance culling issue.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
yes knossos 3 is gone. but as stated before, there has to be a far clipping plane for t&l to even function
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Yeah it seems like since that's the most-distant object in the original game the distance limit should have originally been set to that distance.  Although it's sort of a nuicance rather than a real problem, since you rarely actually look at said knossos under normal play conditions (you see it when you jump in but that's about it)

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Originally posted by StratComm
And Woo, that Earth is amazing.  Desolate and overpopulated, just like I'd have expected it to be.  Banding or no banding, I'd say leave this as the earth image, unless at some point you intend to blow it up.  Also, couldn't Earth be inserted into a background POF instead of putting it in mission?  Seems like that would take care of the distance culling issue.

That current Earth is a 1024*1024 256 colour pcx background, but I can make a 720 poly smaller Earth model with a 2048*2048 version of the map.

I suppose both could be used depending on which would fit best in the mission.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP

720 poly, 60km earth with 2048*2048 map, also glowmapped cities.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
you may want to put more glow through Southeast Asia and China
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline aldi

WOW the pics look great.

Originally posted by PhReAk
you may want to put more glow through Southeast Asia and China

I second that. India and China have 2 billion ppl together, and altho they may not all haev electricity, they are certain to have more than the piddy 240 odd million of USA.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
That Earth map is a composite of 4 different Earth maps, one is a nighttime light shot, and it's what I used as the glowmaps file. It's not my fault if they didn't turn their lights on when the image was taken :D

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Actually right now they don't have lights.

But I am assuming the aridness/dead nature of the landmasses is more than accidental, so perhaps you could explain the lack of lighting in that region to population dieout as a result of overpopulation.  However, as this takes place fairly far into the future, I would suggest making amendments to the nightside lights.  Assuming no major wars (as we can since the eastern seaboard of the US is fairly obviously intact), the American continent is going to be much more urbanized than that.  Some lights in the oceans would be a plus too (sea colonies) but that's more of a personal choice.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that the earth shot you've got in the first post (with the moon) has earth illuminated from its north pole.  Not to be overly critical, but that ain't gonna happen.  It is an awesome shot, just rotate earth so that it isn't illuminated quite like that.  Otherwise, I need a better jaw smily than I have ever seen to describe most of that stuff.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
Love the way you're intergrating the SCP into the mod. Earth is just amazing - I really like HTL, but right now without earth some missions just suck.

Agreed about earth though - can you get more lights? Earth's industrialization probably won't be turning back barring any major disasters.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Originally posted by StratComm
Actually right now they don't have lights.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that the earth shot you've got in the first post (with the moon) has earth illuminated from its north pole.  Not to be overly critical, but that ain't gonna happen.  It is an awesome shot, just rotate earth so that it isn't illuminated quite like that.  Otherwise, I need a better jaw smily than I have ever seen to describe most of that stuff.

I can easily move the light a bit, it was more of a test of the Earth and Moon maps to see if they looked good, the actual 'cutscene' is a very quick 3 second flyby at the moment.

Using the SCP texture replace can allow the Earth model to be used as other planets too, though I'll make a smaller mesh for the moon...

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
Seems like you've been pretty busy lately woo :)  Cant wait to see what the finished product looks like. Oh and while your at making cutscenes, why not tease us a little more with an R2 Inferno Trailer. ;7

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Welcome to the highlights, dude. Beautiful stuff. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.