Author Topic: Why are the EA so nuts?  (Read 10922 times)

Offline Kie99

Why are the EA so nuts?
WHy do they attack the GTVA for no reason. At least no apparent reason?  I've never understood that.  And then right after you disable the nemesis' main cannons they decide to make peace!  And the GTVA agrees just when they are about to lay the smack down on the nemesis!  I found the last bit of that mission really dissapointing.  I'd busted a gut disabling the beam cannons, and then I was sitting back waiting for the huge satisfying boom and then:

"all GTVA ships Cease Firing Immediately" and then the Nemesis turns friendly!

I was so gutted then :(
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Murderous Bastard, serves you right...that's the least you should feel.
Ever realized there are humans just like you on that ship?
Several thousand humans whose only sin was believing in a slightly different version of PAX HUMANA.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
The timing wasn't great, and it did feel like Earth was waiting to get pinned to the wall to call up GTVA command and surrender.  For R1-a, a short pause between the Nemesis going guns-silent and notification of the end of the war would really heighten believability, even if the communication between GTVA command and Earth HQ aren't made available to the player.  Or just having the Nemesis surrender in mission and allowing the end of the war to be revealed in debrief.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 08:02:46 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Kie99

DOn't forget that if the Beams never got destroyed then the EA didn't make piece and slaughtered all of the 25000-35000 service (wo)men on the Independence.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I did want to see the Nemesis get blasted by the time I got that far in the mission, simply because it had been ridiculously difficult and the thing was annoying the hell out of me.

But in the end, the Nemesis is cool. And coolness should be preserved.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

When I played that, I didn't notice the Nemesis went friendly...
So...
everybody killed me.
But they are mad becuz...
the GTVA has BOSCH BEER! I mean, really, who can deny the fresh and crisp taste of an ice cold bosch beer?

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by kietotheworld
DOn't forget that if the Beams never got destroyed then the EA didn't make piece and slaughtered all of the 25000-35000 service (wo)men on the Independence.

So then it's right to kill another 25000-35000 thousand people? Yeah...sheesh...

I was relieved that neither of the kills took place.

Beside and EA actually made a sensible a good decision. The Shivans are back, they suffered a major breach of their lines; but they still posess a lot of systems and their navy is far from beat.
They are in a very good position to strike a deal in their favor instead accepting whatever is handed out to them.

Some of you are way too in love with the WWII image of signing peace - with guns at your head and your country in shumbles after fighting to the very last bullet.
That's the most stupid thing any nation could do.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
The EA also have something the GTVA could really use...

Offline Kie99

I wonder what that could be?  Nothing with a spoiler in the tech room of course  :doubt:

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Nope, more common sense really :p

Offline Kie99

Common sense from the same command (albeit 62 years later) that ordered you to fly into the docking bay of the Lucifer when it has an invisible wall in front of it and when your jump drives aren't working! :D

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
No common sense that I assume you know what the EA have that the GTVA would want. You don't need to read the techroom for that.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Re: Why are the EA so nuts?
Originally posted by kietotheworld
WHy do they attack the GTVA for no reason. At least no apparent reason?  I've never understood that.  And then right after you disable the nemesis' main cannons they decide to make peace!  And the GTVA agrees just when they are about to lay the smack down on the nemesis!  I found the last bit of that mission really dissapointing.  I'd busted a gut disabling the beam cannons, and then I was sitting back waiting for the huge satisfying boom and then:

"all GTVA ships Cease Firing Immediately" and then the Nemesis turns friendly!

I was so gutted then :(

They were probably paranoid after what happened to them in 2335.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
As to the reasoning behined the cease fire, i think its easy to see the logic:

• The Shivans are back, both sides simply can't afford to fight one-another anymore.
  • The EA don't want to be left defencless against the Shivans.
  • GTVA citizens are reported throughout R1's command breifings to be against the War with the EA. To be seen mercilesly butchering the EA would make GTVA command look like evil people, and possibly spark a civil war.
  • I think the main point is that the GVTA did not want to be on the EA's hitlist when the Icanus was deployed. I mean would you want to face it and the Gigas at the same time?
As to the reasoning behined begining the war, i have no idea. However, i'm sure someone will come up with somthing later this year ;7
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Zarax

Well, the Nemesis itself plus the Telemus aren't exactly something GTVA would waste...
They are ships hard as nails and capable to face a good deal of the Shivans on their own (except gigas/gargant of course).
It's not really anything new, the US did the same with the deutschland on WWI.
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
What I don't understand is why the EA didn't hold out long enough to bring the Icanus online.  They'd be fighting a guerilla war for a few weeks, but once they brought out the Icanus they could probably get the GTVA to surrender.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Originally posted by Goober5000
but once they brought out the Icanus they could probably get the GTVA to surrender.

Well the Icanus would still be stuck in the Sol system, so it's not much of a threat to the GTVA.

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
So why does the GTVA want it so badly if they can't move it to where the Gigas is?
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline Kie99

In case the Gigas moves to Sol.  (Which as far as I can see could only be acheived by the destruction of the Sol gate, since the Knossos was destroyed through.  But according to Goob Woo has said that the gate doesn't get destroyed so I'm stumped.) If the Gigas moved to Sol (Where the Shivans probably know Earth is since the "Scouting Wave" did) then it will be destroyed and can't kill any more people.

BTW how many Gigas and Gargants are there?

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
But for that to happen the Gigas would have to travel through GTVA space, presumably wiping out everything on the way. And if the Icanus can't get out, how can the Gigas get in? (I'm assuming this has something to do with the size of the Sol jumpgate, and the comically overlarge ships not fitting inside it..)
Any fool can pull a trigger...