Author Topic: Debris Ragged Edges  (Read 3675 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Debris Ragged Edges
Something that's been mildly annoying me for a while has been that, while our LOD0s continue to improve in excellence, debris is often an afterthought. We all take shortcuts when we're getting burnt out on a model and debris chunks are one of the last items to be done, so it's totally understandable. But I'm hoping we can elevate these humble clumps of wreckage by, at least, giving them some ragged edges.

I've uploaded a proof-of-concept on Fenris_FS2.pof HERE. If it's well-received I may give the other Terran ships the same treatment. On larger ships or where the debris chunks don't cover the entire ship, these ragged edges would be supplemented by modeled girders and superstructure (simple meshes with the Wireframe modifier applied.)

I'm only going to put in this effort if it's appreciated enough to go into the Media VPs, so please blow up a Fenris and tell me what you think. There's an easy target in the FS2 main campaign mission "Endgame".
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: Debris Ragged Edges
If there is one thing that absolutely nobody wants to do, and absolutely somebody should do... It is this thing.

And looks like you found a workflow that's both appropiately lazy and good looking.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I've made some refinements to the Fenris and added the Deimos, try it out HERE.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Looking good. This is something that is very much needed 👍
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
This is nice, and probably more relevant than every as you do a lot with $Debris-parameter in ship.tbl
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I love it.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.