Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 15907 times)

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
I played WoW for about 6 months.  It's actually fairly fun until you get a character to lvl 60 (I never got the expansion).  Then it just gets repetitive, as you can only go to the same places over and over again.  What was really entertaining for me was the ability to see the "world" of WarCraft from the eyes of a guy on the ground, instead of the God's eye view in the strategy games.  Plus, I like to explore and just poke around the environment.

Also, I know that many people say that the monthly fees are expensive.  I actually crunched the numbers of playing 1 month of WoW versus renting a PS2 game every week for 4 weeks.  Renting the PS2 game comes to about $25 per month, plus tax.  Playing WoW for a month on the most expensive pay plan is $15 per month, plus tax.  So that I could play WoW, I stopped renting games.  (It was a slow time for good console releases anyways.)  I actually ended up saving about $10 per month.
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
The problem is that you have the option of buying a PS2 game rather than renting.  You are required to pay monthly in WoW, so the year plan of roughly 150$ if I'm not mistaken is about the price of ****ing Rock Band.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I wonder how many people here who hate WoW have actually played it...

My best experiences in that game can be summed up by destroying both it and a crappy microwave at the same time for the Emperor Palpatine lightning effect.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
I wonder how many people here who hate WoW have actually played it...

Actually I have, although I never bought an account. However like I mentioned I know some people who play WoW, so I was able to play some hours of it trough those guys accounts, when they were on "player recruit drives" :P
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
...A players sole purpose in that game is to simply level up your character. After you have max level theres not much to do...

Actually, WoW starts after you have leveled your character to max. Then you can max out your professions, help your guildmates with their quests, play the Battlegrounds, visit instances and collect the best possible equipment, defend your capital from the other factions' attacks. The list can go nearly indefinitely.

Most of my level 70 characters like doing all that I listed.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
I've heard that one before as well, so ok fair enough...
In that case it gets even worse... because in that case its the same as in a fast lvl up MMO... only the game only starts after what? 2 weeks of play? 3? 1 Month? I clearly have no idea of how long it took you to get just one of those characters to level 70. As oposed to few hours of play in a non grind MMO...

That makes WoW even worse in my eyes.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Raven is a god.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Looking at how half of the BWO team plays or has played WoW I'm getting uncertain about how good the campaign will be... :nervous:
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

I did play WoW, and for god's sake, I TRIED to like it with all my heart, but the extremely repetive gameplay and the (normally that's no matter for me, but combined with the prior) antiquated graphics got me off every 30-40 minutes. I heard WotLK is going to add more player controlled- and created content, but for me, WoW already died.
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Looking at how half of the BWO team plays or has played WoW I'm getting uncertain about how good the campaign will be... :nervous:

Yes we did play... but only a little. Just enough to study what makes a bad game :D

Raven is a god.

Offline Asuko

• Angel in conflict
Also, blizzard can kiss my ass and come with their "your paying for server maintenance and regular updates" cock and bull story, and I wont buy it.
I dont play fees, and I have my server maintenance (in fact I dont have half the problems of the WoW players I know) AND I have my regular updates. For the bigger updates I can buy my access to them or not... just in the same way the WoW players pay for their expansions.
Blizzard actually does that? Damn, that's pretty crappy.
This sig is equal to -i.

Free Vasudans! Clicky here!!

Care to kill a flame war™?

"Is it just me or are the squirrels getting more and more waterlogged?" - Tyr

"THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!" -Me
"Are you trying to exorcise my Rubik's cube?" -Tyrian

"Life's an adventure*plunge*" -Tyrian
"You call plunging a toilet an adventure?" -Me

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com

You have to grind 21000 rep to become exalted with the Sol Coalition of Planets faction, run Lower Jovian Spaceyards for a rare drop from a rare ship for the subspace motivator (part 1 of 1200) in order to complete part of the Charon attunement quest.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Not to mention you have to do Golgothas dungeon in order to get the rare Erynies stead.

Raven is a god.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
 :shaking: :wtf: *runs*

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I've heard that one before as well, so ok fair enough...
In that case it gets even worse... because in that case its the same as in a fast lvl up MMO... only the game only starts after what? 2 weeks of play? 3? 1 Month?...

It depends on how much time you spend playing a day. Most of my guildmates reached the level cap in a month, and none of them played 24/7. If you spend like 4-5 hours a day leveling (which does not only mean grinding!), that is a reasonable achievement. That's no that much time. As for MMOs where you reach the level cap after some hours or days... that's simply not a challenge.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
On the contrary... its not a challenge getting to the high level granted... after that is when the game really starts. Only you dont spend a month starting the game (assuming of course you play those 4-5 hours a day).
And really... tell me wheres the challenge in grinding or doing simpleton quests? And wheres the challenge of the PvP ive seen in WoW where people basically are spamming skills and hope they have a better skillset? The only challenge I can see in WoW is a challenge to ones patience.

On the fast levelling MMOs the challenge lies in doing the elite stuff (talking of both pve and pvp here), which requires skill over character level. And yes, PvE on those games is a challenge.
I can consider myself a pretty seasoned Guild Wars player, I have 9 level 20 characters (which is the max level there), and when I had time to play games, I leveled my characters in about 30\ hours... 3-4 days. And those were the boring ones: doing the missions I already knew, hearing the same story again, etc.
Being able to level them fast allowed me to try out the various play styles there is in the game, learn them to the point of perfection (I havent reached that point, but its the goal), try various team builds, various tactics etc etc. All this in PvE.
And guess what, I play that game for 2 and a half years now, half of those I played about 10 hours a day. Im a good player skill wise, and there are still areas that me and my regular group cant complete... and it isnt because of our level, but because of our play skill. 2 and half years later, with fast levelling, and I havent ran out of things to do in the game.

That is the real challenge those games have to offer, and they dont need to hide their lack of content (and I mean worthy content) behind a slow character progression.

Raven is a god.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Why would you play any video game for 4-5 hours a day?

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
How could you play any game for 4-5 hours a day? Do you not have job or school, or do you just stay up THAT late? :wtf:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Why would you play any video game for 4-5 hours a day?

Normally, because it's good. That is not the case for anything I've seen mentioned here yet.

4-5 hours is reasonable for, say, EVE, because you don't have to pay 100% attention to it at all times. 's not the case with most MMOs.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
How could you play any game for 4-5 hours a day? Do you not have job or school, or do you just stay up THAT late? :wtf:

From my part, Im taking design at the university. I work on projects about 8-9 hours a day, and play 1 hour a day... I sleep about 6 hours a night :P

However there was a time I didnt have to spend time on school projects so I manage to play alot (and I mewan ALOT) of hours a day. Good old times :D

Normally, because it's good. That is not the case for anything I've seen mentioned here yet.

4-5 hours is reasonable for, say, EVE, because you don't have to pay 100% attention to it at all times. 's not the case with most MMOs.

Unfortunatly I cant say I played EVE... mostly because it suffers from the syndrome "pay to play" from what Ive read.
However your wrong that you have to pay full attention on all MMO's. Many times Im playing while at the same time browsing the internet, doing sketches, etc.

Raven is a god.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
...And wheres the challenge of the PvP ive seen in WoW where people basically are spamming skills and hope they have a better skillset?...

WoW PvP is very skill dependent. Not "skill" like "character ability," but "skill" like dexterity and knowing your class, your opponent's class, and being able to exploit his mistakes, or use your skillset creatively.