Author Topic: About Allegiance  (Read 2781 times)

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
Allegiance is another space simulator, and I played it sometimes this week : I found the multiplayer concept incredible : in each team, there is a commander that will give order to players, buy installations (miner to get cash, or r&d installations to get new weapons), order a bomb run, ...
And the other players fly space crafts : at the beginning, they fly scouts to explore the maps using jump nodes (these are called alephs or wormholes in this game) and deploy sensors that will inform the commander on what is going on. But they are able too to repair other units, and can take some hidden items in the maps that can help the technology improvement.
Then, when the map is fully explore, and when the commander got some technology, players can fly fighters and bombers to capture the opponent general quarters, or just destroy enemy miners and installations.

However the way of dogfighting - and the graphics - are very odd, and the weapons aren't as diversified as FSO (the same for fighters and bombers). In fact, I think that if this multiplayer concept could be bring into a kind of new type of multiplayer missions, combinated to the very great dogfights and graphics of FSO, it would be a really perfect space simulator.

Anyway, that's just a supposition : I imagine a multiplayer match where teams starts with an arcadia station, and then send stealth fighters to explore jump nodes, and 30 minutes later a gtva Collossus is being constructed to head to the enemy post.. ^^

Offline Lester

Wasn't SquadWar similar to this?

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
I don't know SquadWar. Some research using google tell me that SquadWar was made by volition, but now it seems that it's outdated.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Outdated?  More like work-in-progress ;)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
@Chief1983 That would be so cool if it becomes a reality. Bring back the Hellcats squadron!

@potterman28wxcv That sounds making freespace more like an RTS. There have been attempts at this. Bp multi experimented with Aardwolf's and Nuke's RTS mod to add some rts elements to multiplayer, but many technical hurdles stand in the way of what you have in mind.

There's also Windmills. You should play that if you're into RTS. http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=75967.0

BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I believe we've had Allegiance threads on HLP in the past. It looks to be a nice program with a good community, but I've personally never played it. Due to school, work, and other commitments, I don't think I'll be playing it any time soon either.

However, I am curious, how many here on HLP actually play this? Hopefully the netcode is better than FS's, at least.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I believe we've had Allegiance threads on HLP in the past. It looks to be a nice program with a good community, but I've personally never played it. Due to school, work, and other commitments, I don't think I'll be playing it any time soon either.

However, I am curious, how many here on HLP actually play this? Hopefully the netcode is better than FS's, at least.

I used to play quite a bit, although I haven't recently. Netcode is (generally) better and scales quite well, although once you get more than a few dozen players in a sector it starts to lag noticeably. Graphics are painfully bad compared to Freespace.

It's definitely a worthwhile game, though: some of my favorite gaming moments ever with the whitest knuckles and sweatiest palms come from playing Allegiance.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I've been reading the starting guide a bit and I think emulating some parts of the gameplay is possible. Sectors can be parts of the map very far away from each other, and you get teleported from one sector to another when you enter an node or something of that calibre. I'm sure most of what I haven't read about yet could be done/emulated/hacked in sexp-side.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
This sounds a lot like what JGZinv wants to replicate for some features we want for FringeSpace. I think it's time to make a note in internal...

:)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Yeah the whole sector hopping thing has been around for a while, it's been handled a few ways over the years. Red Alerts or huge distances and FREDing
being the most common.

Tachyon did it by loading a different map, and the client just had to tell the server it was going to a new location so it could keep track.
The map was more so hosted server side, so in certain cases people who didn't have a map pack could join and not have problems long as the
map used stock assets. When you came up to a gate, the gate had a map name defined, so it sent you to that file, everything was one way.

Once we get a few more assets (ie a gate)  we can figure out which way we are going to have to do it.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod