Author Topic: Beginners Multiplayer Modding Question  (Read 2557 times)

Offline LoneKnight

• One does not simply ALT-J into Mordor.
Beginners Multiplayer Modding Question
I am designing a multiplayer level / mod that would allow for a lot of interesting and unique elements to occur. However, I've never actually touched multiplayer, let alone multiplayer modding. I've checked out the articles on multiplayer in the wiki, but I was wondering: Do human players take the place of Alpha / Beta wings, or do they not even need to be 'placed' in the mission? If so, how do you script for human players that aren't technically in the mission?

Thanks warmly!
Burning Heaven

Offline Lester

Re: Beginners Multiplayer Modding Question
Yes, they need to be 'placed'. You can do this by opening the ship editor menu and ticking 'player ship'. Note that only Alpha, Beta and Gamma wings are capable of this.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Ooh, you're making a multiplayer mission? Interesting, I look forward to playing it. You probably know this, but make sure you open the editors tab at the top, go down to mission specs and choose COOP, TvT, or dogfight as a mission type. Otherwise the mission will not show up in multiplayer. Give it a mission title that's easy to find as well... listings are alphabetical.

Be wary of certain sexps, such as set-camera and the like as these will not work in multiplayer.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline LoneKnight

Ooh, you're making a multiplayer mission? Interesting, I look forward to playing it. You probably know this, but make sure you open the editors tab at the top, go down to mission specs and choose COOP, TvT, or dogfight as a mission type. Otherwise the mission will not show up in multiplayer.

I didn't remember that, but thanks for the head's up. I have a few concepts that will require a lot of testing to see if they're even viable to do.
Burning Heaven

Offline Lester

If you need any help or further advice, don't hesitate to PM Bigchunk or me. Multi fredders are a rare and valuable breed  :)

Offline LoneKnight

I'll stay posted. My priority right now is to finish work on a series of single player missions, but I have a lot of good ideas that I'd like to put together soon (and maybe even start a group project if some other FREDders are interested.
Burning Heaven