Author Topic: Importing to Fred2 for Diaspora  (Read 1473 times)

Importing to Fred2 for Diaspora
The Diaspora Fred2 editor had an import option which indicated Freespace 1 possibilities. Are we actually able to import freespace 1 missions to Diaspora ?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Importing to Fred2 for Diaspora
Technically, yes.

Practically, no.

The import option is basically the same one that Freespace 2 mods have access to for use in things like the Freespace 1 port. There was no point in disabling this for Diaspora. But if you try to use it, it won't find any of the Freespace 1 ships and will almost certainly crash out or simply convert them all into Viper MK VIIs.

Now if you want to create a Freespace / BSG crossover, that is possible but I warn that it's not as simple as just importing the missions. You'd have to do quite a bit of table modding to make it work. 
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Thanks for the reply. It certianly did crash on me hehe. I am just trying to generate new material for Diaspora as i am craving more after R1 release. Keep up the good work and Thanks Again

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The amount of work required to port FS1 and FS2 missions to Diaspora is about the same as to just simply make some new ones. We're always more than happy to help you do that. We want new material too. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]